Adventures in restoration - early 429, Q-convertible, more!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71JSCJ

Reaction score
My Car
1971 j code fastback
1972 q code convert
2 65 k-code fastbacks
Hello from snowy and impossibly cold Winnipeg, Canada, everybody! I decided to become more active here after doing some reading here - this seems like a great group and I'd be happy to take part. I'm creating this thread to share my ongoing projects in the hopes of of entertaining people, but doing this is also a motivation, and to some extent, therapy!

Without further adieu, here's my dad's favorite child ;)

We bought it in March of 2006 from Dorr, Michigan. It's an early production 1971 Mustang sportsroof with a J-Code (Ram-Air) 429, 4 speed Toploader and drag pack! We bought it from a GM production line manager who had the shell and intended to finish turning it into a drag car, but couldn't go through with it. It was just a rolling shell at the time, with all the "modifications" that you see. The fact that the metal work was done badly is just adding insult to injury.

It's got five options - the 429, the drag pack, power brakes (mandatory?), trim rings and sport mirrors. It was originally sold to Ford Marketing Corporation in Dearborn, but we cannot identify its purpose, or anything else through the 1970s and 1980s. Rumor from those who know the car think that the car was never actually driven - this is explained later.

SCJ.jpg

pic1.jpg

q022.jpg

q019.jpg

q021.jpg

Waterton2004118.jpg

Waterton2004121.jpg

Waterton2004123.jpg

As you can see, a lot of metal work needed to be done. We enlisted the help of the grey 1971 coupe seen in the background - it was a California car that got repo'd, and we picked it up at a decent price. It donated it's floor to the cause. Next, we had to source non-fold down seat sheet metal, which was next to impossible. We called around to a hick town here in northern Manitoba, and they had 3 of them. :huh: Go figure.

Metal work!

Progress047.jpg

Progress039.jpg

Progress042.jpg

J006-1.jpg

J003-1.jpg

J009-1.jpg

J007-1.jpg

Here's where the miracle happens. It took us 5 years to gather up all of the engine and driveline parts to make it drive again. In my opinion (not my dad's), this car was a bit of a bastard - without numbers matching, it doesn't do much for me. In January of 2012, I was fishing on eBay through active listings, and nearly pooped myself when I found a powertrain listed, with the serial number of our car. The deal was done within 12 hours, and it's going back to its original house. Bastard no more! The seller of the motor stated that the whole powertrain was sent to Holman-Moody in 1971 straight from Ford, and has never been run. The shell was being turned into a pro stock chassis, so there was definitely funny business afoot when the car was new. The project was obviously abandoned, and the powertrain and chassis stayed thousands of miles apart for over 40 years. It is amazingly complete - manifolds, carb, all smog equipment, original belts, even bits of the wiring harness that were missing from the shell!

KGrHqNnME63S98CJ-BPCkz1pDw60_12.jpg

KGrHqJlYE8EoZK0LpBPCk0d6wug60_12.jpg

KGrHqVhkE7SwOJqIIBPCkz0Pg60_12.jpg

My dad has a feeling that this car was meant for him. Buying the car was easy, and it's been smooth sailing on its assembly. Of note, we did sell the car a few years ago, but the sale fell through because everything that could have gone wrong, did, when it came to trying to deliver it.

Project 2:

This is a car we bought for no real good reason, but it's here anyway, so why not? It's a 1972 Q-Code convertible, red-on-red, mildly optioned California car. We bought it when projects were still cheap, and it came to us with a gallon of bondo on the quarters and a municipality-ordered destruction notice slapped on the windshield. Its bodywork is done, and it will be going together when our '65 is done (see below).

For the eagle-eyed purists, we elected to leave the exterior decor group mouldings and black paint off the bottom. It's not original, but we think it looks better in solid red. We can always put it on if necessary.

With NOS quarters, it went together really easily. There's something to be said about rust-free California cars (there's also something to be said about cars that haven't been hit, but I don't know what it is :p)

e-bay071.jpg

e-bay080.jpg

000_0356.jpg

100_2975.jpg

q005.jpg

q023.jpg

q383.jpg

q018.jpg

q017.jpg

Current project:

This one is almost ten years in the making. My dad used to restore 1961-1964 Jaguar E-Types, and after the last one went in 2001, he decided he wanted something 'simpler' and 'less finnicky' (note - vintage Mustangs are worse than British cars at this). This is a 1965 K-Code 289 fastback, numbers matching, 4-speed Toploader, factory 4.11:1 gears. My dad bought it as a present for himself on Christmas day of 2001 when he ran out of projects. We've discovered so much hidden rust on the car that most panels have been replaced. Regardless, she's a beauty now and it's almost finished. It's going to be my brother's car, although he knows little about cars. Oh well.

E-Type:

PA290199.jpg

PA290203.jpg

61010293324.jpg

71010293324.jpg

'65 Mustang

PB110860.jpg

sm001.jpg

sm002.jpg

sm004.jpg

newcamera014.jpg

k068.jpg

NeonInterior069.jpg

14708093.jpg

14708088.jpg

NeonInterior059.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

balti003.jpg

balti006.jpg

balti004.jpg

Thank you for reading. I will definitely update this thread with progress if there is interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
spectacular. i envy you guys sooo much!!! i have a bit of a collection too and i am definitely following this thread!!!

i see that you and your dad are not cutting corner on your projects. keep up the great work!!

best regards from vienna

abudi

Fantastic collection of cars 71JSCJ. It's a toss up between the J Code Mustang and the Jag for my choice for my favourite car. We understand about requiring therapy when doing a re-build, yours is much more indepth than my wifes '73 Q Code. You're very lucky to be able to re-intoduce the original engine and body after 40+ years of separation, you really should do a complete write up and submit it to a magazine it would make an awesome story. And keep the updates coming.

Welcome to our site guys... Simply fantastic... I think you are now envied by 80% of the guysin here :p

Sincerely fantastic work that denotes passion in every word you say at describing... Besides all that, we all love father/son projects so you are definitely warm welcome in here...

::welcome:: from Mustang, Oklahoma. Keep up the great work. Amazing story. Chuck

Welcome to the club! You've got some great projects there. Nice documentation!

As mentioned, you could do a great story about how the original drivetrain found its way back to the chassis 40 years later... without having been run. Since the sale fell through, did you say that you still have it?

Doc

The emotions you must have had when you came across the original drive train ... I cant even imagine it. And the fact that they had not been run even more amazing. Thanks for telling it to us. Dennis

I was going to say that the 71 429 car sounds like it was sold as a factory drag car to some racer. My friend bought a 68 1/2 428 Mustang fatory drag car. It was 1 of 50 sold to a local racer and was raced in 68-70 then became a bracket racer for mant years. The car was never run on the street and had 2,000 miles on it when he bought it in the late 80's. He documented the car and sold it a few years ago for big money.

"Therapy" is one way of putting it. Great build guys. Love to see the effort you put in. The Jag is awesome. Love the attention to detail. Mine was the first project of this type I have ever attempted and it is quit the learning curve. ;)

Back