Advice needed on Instrument Panel Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Vert 351C White
Hi,  Love this site.  Been reading a ton over the last of couple weeks while I hide from the virus.  I admire the skill and knowledge of our members!!!

Anyway,  spring is here in the Northeast PA, maybe and I need to replace my idiot light oil/temp and the left turn indicator, and probably all of the cluster lamps and indicators.  I'm sure 48-year-old blubs and blue covers are toast.  Fuel gauge works so the little mechanical voltage regulator is still working. AMP indicator still lights. I grounded both the temp sensor and oil sensor leads and idiots did not come on so pretty sure I got burnt lamps. 

So the question and what concerns me is,   I should remove the dash pad to lessen the stress of getting the cluster out or attempt to remove the cluster from under the dash.  I'm concerned about cracking my dash pad or wrecking the copper connections on the main connector or speedo cable by reaching under the dash.  Reading through a bunch of old posts leads me to believe that removing the cluster can be accomplished without pad removal (need to loosen the steering column & etc)  but it might be easier to access the cluster connections with the dash pad removed and access it top side. The question is which is safer or smarter?  

72 vert with AC , 351C.

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
It is easier to reach everything with the pad out of the way

And at the very least you need to lif the pad up to get the dash trim off the front

When removing the pad be careful of all plastic parts ... the LH dash side trim and the L & R pillar trim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,  Love this site.  Been reading a ton over the last of couple weeks while I hide from the virus.  I admire the skill and knowledge of our members!!!

Anyway,  spring is here in the Northeast PA, maybe and I need to replace my idiot light oil/temp and the left turn indicator, and probably all of the cluster lamps and indicators.  I'm sure 48-year-old blubs and blue covers are toast.  Fuel gauge works so the little mechanical voltage regulator is still working. AMP indicator still lights. I grounded both the temp sensor and oil sensor leads and idiots did not come on so pretty sure I got burnt lamps. 

So the question and what concerns me is,   I should remove the dash pad to lessen the stress of getting the cluster out or attempt to remove the cluster from under the dash.  I'm concerned about cracking my dash pad or wrecking the copper connections on the main connector or speedo cable by reaching under the dash.  Reading through a bunch of old posts leads me to believe that removing the cluster can be accomplished without pad removal (need to loosen the steering column & etc)  but it might be easier to access the cluster connections with the dash pad removed and access it top side. The question is which is safer or smarter?  

72 vert with AC , 351C.

Thanks,

Tony
Tony: you sent me a private message, but you have your private message system turned off so I cannot reply to you.  You can also reach me via e-mail at harnesses_at_fusemail.com

Back