Advice on a 71 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Currently: None

May be purchasing a 1971 302 Convertible

Previously:
1979 Cobra 4 Cyl Turbo, 1971 302 Sports Roof , 1993 LX 5.0
I'm going to look at a 1971 302 Convertible this afternoon. This car has been sitting in a garage for ~15 years, not moved or started. It has only had two owners and I believe it was wrecked at some point, but completely repaired. I'm pretty close to the family and I didn't even know this was in the garage until a few days ago! Pretty sure I can check the body and engine out well enough to decide if I want to buy, but the roof is another story. I don't have any experience with the convertible top. Can/Should I hook up jumper cables and try to operate it? Is there anything in particular I need to be looking for or careful of? I'll be posting a What's it worth thread (or just continuing here) later this evening. I want to make sure that both parties get a fair deal. I plan on posting plenty of pics. Thanks in advance for any advice, I hope I can rejoin the 7173 club soon!

If there is no power and the top has been down for all those years, you could pull the pins from the top of each lift cylinder and manually pull it up. If the top is up, leave it be until (if you decide to go for it) you get it home. You can use the unknown operating condition as a negotiation point. Figure $1K for a new top if the frame and hydraulic system is ok. If not, add another $1K.

It will be interesting to see pics and details of it's overall condition.

That was the direction I was leaning. I believe it is stored with the top up. They have the car covered but there is a bunch of stuff on it. Hopefully they didn't do any damage over the years.

Convertible tops are not complicated to fix, metal can be straitened, or fabricated if need be, and the power section consists of a pump motor and 2 cylinders, all of which can be bought, the electric is just as easy. I would not mess with it as Bill said. The hardest part is recovering it but if you have the ability to do it yourself you could save a lot of cash.

I've owned my 73 convertible since 74 and have never had any issues with the motor, pump, or electronics. It has always functioned fine. At one point I added a small amount of hydraulic fluid. To get to the pump to add fluid you have to take the back seat back out. If you are hooking up jumper cables anyway to see if the engine turns over, just tap the convertible top switch for a second and listen for the motor.

I bought a 73 vert that was sitting for a long time. I never had any problems with the top from sitting. However I did have a lot of problems with the transmission seals and brakes. It took me year whole summer to reslove those problems. The only issue I did have with the top was the stiching around the window is all dryrotted. I and going to have a new top put on this month. Good luck with the car if you buy it. Convertibles are a blast.

Look for rust in the cowl side bottoms, trunk floor, floor boards, under the battery, etc. Rust repair is a much bigger problem than any top issues.

2013-11-03 12.16.58.jpgSo I went and saw the car today, and here is the scoop. It's been sitting since the late 90's (97ish) under a cover in the garage with the top down. I have records that go from 1974 through 1997 that show all the repair work, batteries, oil changes, etc. In 1992 they did some restoration on the rear end of the car to repair rust damage on the trunk, wheel housings, bumper, gas tank, etc. She said that it was actually damaged while in the shop (they ran something into it) so it wasn't all rust damage. The total bill was $4279. It has been repainted the original color, and she is the 2nd owner. She bought the car in 1974 from a professor in Jacksonville. Her husband drove it for years until it started having transmission problems in the late 90's. (She said she remembers that it would drive, but it slips when you try to pass or rev high) It has sat since then. She said he started it a few times for several years, but even that was a long time ago. The car has not been touched at all in several years. This car has sentimental value, but I think she is ready to sell it. I want to make sure everyone gets a fair deal here so I really need advice on what the car is worth. What would you sell it for, how much would you be willing to spend on it. The motor is not frozen but I didn't even attempt to turn it over. The brake pedal goes to the floor so there is work to do there. Obviously the transmission and suspension are going to need work. I am looking for a project, so I am fine with all of this. I have a lift in my garage and it needs to get used. :D Pictures to come, let me know what other questions or answers I need.

Any idea why the air cleaner says 302-4V instead of 2V?

Heater core obviously leaks...not a big deal here in sunny Florida. 152k miles on this car, yes the odometer has turned over. Looks like the differential is leaking, as probably most of the seals are after sitting this long.

In 1993 there is an invoice from NPD where he bought the 302-4V decal. Looks like he just used the wrong decal trying to restore it.

2013-11-03 12.17.20.jpg

2013-11-03 11.56.51.jpg

2013-11-03 11.55.18.jpg

2013-11-03 11.54.28.jpg

2013-11-03 11.57.39.jpg

2013-11-03 11.53.38.jpg

2013-11-03 12.03.07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ask her what she thinks it worth and go from there. Since it not in driveable condition I would think you should get it cheap. The problem is now a day everyone thing that every old car is worth a lot of money. The key is the condition of the car and how rare it is. i would think 4000.00 or 5000.00 would be since you know the person and that its a convertible.

I think the big question is do you really like the car and are willing to do the work to bring it back. If not then I would keep looking until you find the one that you really do like. I may be off on the price but I sure you will get some feedback from others if that the case.

John J

Wow, that car looks pretty neat on those pics. When I read about cars that have been stored for a few years I always expect cars covered in layers of dust with obvious rust spots and dents and signs of abuse in general. But this one looks pretty good.

Mostly original, no ruined parts or tasteless add-ons (except for the radio or CB under the glovebox) :)

The switch for the top seems to have broken off if I saw that correctly. Happened to me too. The bottom of my jeans got caught on the switch when I was getting in the car which caused it to break off. Still works with no issues. :)

Bottom line is: Unless there are some hidden issues that the pics don´t show, I think that is a pretty decent car to start with.

The cowls have been mentioned before. That repair is a major PITA. You can try and pour some water into them and check if some of it ends on the floor inside the car. Then you can really push the price down.

If that is not possible, remove the grilles on the cowl and insert your phone and snap some pics. Some will show pretty good close up pics of the cowl hats and the surrounding area.

Check the A pillar behind the door. When the door is open, you can see a seam where the top part is welded to the bottom part. Check for bubbles. Some have rust issues there.

Rocker panels come to mind. Mine looked fine when the car was restored and a year and a half after the new paint, they started rotting on me. They are galvanized outside and wil look clean but rot from the inside out.

Maybe get an endoscope camera (for a few bucks at Amazon) and look into the cavities. A good investment that can save big money down the line.

I would say 5000 just looking at it, transmission & brake work and all. Maybe up to 6500 if the top is nice.

Here is the book on it...based on pics and how you describe, I would say it is a #4 condition car with a value around $5k.

1971 FORD MUSTANG 302-210hp (8cyl-2V) AT

#5 #4 #3 #2 #1

2dr Convertible 1600 5200 10825 15275 24225

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

Jeff

Here is the book on it...based on pics and how you describe, I would say it is a #4 condition car with a value around $5k.

1971 FORD MUSTANG 302-210hp (8cyl-2V) AT

#5 #4 #3 #2 #1

2dr Convertible 1600 5200 10825 15275 24225

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

Jeff
1+

I agree with the $5k number, I think its very fair.

the body looks great, but keep in mind you have to do the mechanical work to it, to make it road worthy.

I agree in the $5K range. It appears to be a fairy basic optioned car. Original basic wheel covers. Just the basic mirror on the drivers door, no sport mirrors. No full length console. The 302 and auto trans was an option up from the basic 6 cylinder and 3 spd stick.

If there are no major rust issues it looks like a great buy to fix up.

Here are some more pics. It use to have Montgomery Wards AC, that was pulled out. The thing under the dash is an aftermarket radio/8 track. I also think $5k is a reasonable offer for both sides. Thanks for the input and keep them coming.

2013-11-03 11.51.46.jpg

2013-11-03 11.53.59.jpg

2013-11-03 11.54.08.jpg

2013-11-03 11.57.01.jpg

2013-11-03 11.58.40.jpg

1st thing i would do if i bought it would be using engine/radiator/transmission flush if at then refill, noting if you find any oij in radiator or metal shavings in oil . THEN TAKE TO HAVE TESTED ON A DYNOMETER. Then check the electrical. Then have the underbody sand blasted as a good indicator if you find the very least any surface then determine whether you want to go straight restoration or resto-mod. I am taken that you are going to get it.

Back