Advice on cheap headers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
I am trying to get the car on the road and need a set of cheap headers to replace the ones that the PO drop the car off the jack and crushed them.  I thought I could get them opened up enough to use but they are too bad and rusted through.  I want cheap headers as I am going to buy the super comps when I pull the motor and rebuild it.  The reason why I dont just buy the expensive headers now is that I am going to run aluminum heads that have raised exhaust parts so I dont think I can buy a set that will work with the current iron heads and then work with the aluminum's.

What cheap ones can I buy for now or does anyone have a set they want to get rid of that wont cost a fortune in shipping?

Am I right in thinking that 351 c aluminum heads with raised exhaust ports WON'T use the same header or can I go ahead and buy the headers that I plan on running with aluminum heads and use them for now on my irons?

$179.00 with free deliver but have no idea how they will fit a 4 speed. call summit or mfg for info.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-12118flt/reviews/
Nope. Those look like Flowtech cheapies.
Nope what?
Nope, they won't fit a four speed. The -only- sub-$500 header available that work with the 351C-4V and 4 speed combo in a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar is the Hooker 6915. 

Am I right in thinking that 351 c aluminum heads with raised exhaust ports WON'T use the same header or can I go ahead and buy the headers that I plan on running with aluminum heads and use them for now on my irons?
Depends on how much the exhaust ports are raised. Do you have a link to the heads you plan to purchase?

Nope. Those look like Flowtech cheapies.
Nope what?
Nope, they won't fit a four speed. The -only- sub-$500 header available that work with the 351C-4V and 4 speed combo in a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar is the Hooker 6915. 

Depends on how much the exhaust ports are raised. Do you have a link to the heads you plan to purchase?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-5161t004-c01/overview/make/ford

?????

Did you read the details on the heads you posted? The heads posted are a 2V style head. So no the intake and headers that work on your current 4V wont work (at least not well) on these heads.

First sentence of the description.....

"Designed for high performance street/strip engines! Trick Flow® PowerPort® Cleveland 225 cylinder heads feature runners based on the OE Ford 2V design. "

Also,

$2,600 for a set of heads? Seems rather spendy. For a hell of a lot less money you could have your stock 4V heads built and with the proper cam and tune probably outperform these heads or come close to it. The only thing you would gain with these is some weight savings over the Iron 4V heads.

Also,

$2,600 for a set of heads? Seems rather spendy. For a hell of a lot less money you could have your stock 4V heads built and with the proper cam and tune probably outperform these heads or come close to it. The only thing you would gain with these is some weight savings over the Iron 4V heads.
+1, if you want closed chamber 2V heads you should be able to get iron Australian 2V heads for less than 1/2 that.

Edelbrock heads are about 1/2 of that.

Im still somewhat on the fence about the heads. I was figuring it would cost me $1500 to completely rework my 4v's with new valves, seats, rocker stud conversion and the rest of the needed machining.

It is going to be frustrating to have to buy 2 sets of headers!!

Im still somewhat on the fence about the heads.  I was figuring it would cost me $1500 to completely rework my 4v's with new valves, seats, rocker stud conversion and the rest of the needed machining.  

It is going to be frustrating to have to buy 2 sets of headers!!
Summit description says the exhaust port is raised .100" over a stock location - not something that's going to require custom headers. Hooker Comp 6915 will fit just fine. FWIW, unless you are planning a max-effort stroked drag engine, the Hooker Super Comps are complete overkill and just get in the way of everything.

Back