Advice on wheel/tire package (yet another thread!)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my calculations based off my current setup the rear will fit well with 315s. I still need to double check the width of my current wheels. For the front I would need a 1" spacer (bolt-on) for either 245s or 255s.

I am definitely not going to rely solely on my theoretical calculation. I have to do a mock up. I like that tool you suggested.

I found this thread where he used FR500 wheels as well. It doesn't seem that this member is still active.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming I can figure out the backspacing, which one you think would look better. I like the black/chrome look but my car has silver accents which may match the Silver or Anthracite finish, but it may be too boring. Thoughts?

Black/Chrome:

mustang-fr500-wheel-kit-17x9-10-5-black-94-04-mustang-fr500-wheel-kit-17x9-10-5-black-94-04_19...jpgmustang-deep-dish-fr500-wheel-17x10-5-black-94-04_0c9c0fe0 (1).jpg

Silver:  

mustang-fr500-wheel-kit-17x9-10-5-silver-94-04_e7d7c967.jpgmustang-fr500-wheel-17x10-5-silver-94-04_9cc446be.jpg

Anthracite:

mustang-fr500-wheel-kit-17x9-10-5-anthracite-94-04_127be76a.jpgmustang-fr500-wheel-kit-17x9-10-5-anthracite-94-04_a8f8263e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,

What the hell are you doing?  Stop.

Your car looks amazing!.  Leave it alone!  Those rims look like air jordans on my grandmother.  Spend it on something else......

chris

Tony,

What the hell are you doing?  Stop.

Your car looks amazing!.  Leave it alone!  Those rims look like air jordans on my grandmother.  Spend it on something else......

chris
LOL. Point well taken. I was on the park of keeping the classic wheels and tires until lately. My car is one of those that may look stock but it is in the resto mod camp. I think the wheels add, or take away, a lot of character to a build. I am still debating what to do and I am really concerned of not knowing how new wheels would look until I had already spent the money on them. One important driver for me right now is that there are not many options for 15" wheels in the 295+ range. I want to maximize traction since with the power I have, first gear becomes almost useless. Our cars will take 315s in the rear with no mods and with the proper backspacing. I would be happy with Magnum-styled wheels but there are no available in the 10.5"+ width and correct spacing. I could find them custom but they are really expensive.

Try m/t drang radials, world of difference in traction, remember, a taller wheel will give a shorter sidewall=less sidewall flex for acceleration. 17 or 18 inch rims much worse.

All good points. Thank you. I am not only going after traction but also improved cornering. The M/T look good but they seem to be more for traction rather than turning.

Custom wheels can be very expensive. I have seen anything from 3 to 5 times the price of an off-the-shelf one.

Back