African Mustang Build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be an understatement to say you have your work cut out for you. I guess that if you can't import one you have no other choice but to work with what you have. I'd be curious what the final build cost is on your project will be based on what needs to be done. Good luck and be sure to update as it goes along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im getting the new cowl panel. I cant find AM -seat frames online. Does anybody have their contact info or web address?

African Mustang

African Mustang
This is David again,

I agree with some of them you should just get another body. I think if you ship the body without the drive train it is viewed by customs as parts. I know some of the guys over there will take a Harley apart and ship the engine to one port and the frame to another to get past the extreme duties on a complete Harley.

It looks like a coupe from what I see in the pictures and I have seen pretty much rust free ones for only a couple thousand dollars.

This link is to a 72 coupe on craigslist for $3,200 and is pretty much rust free and 30,000 miles. I was a 6 cylinder car buy you have the stuff to make back V-8 there. It has been on for longer than the 18 days is shows I think was a repost. I turned down running V-8 coupe with the NASA hood for $2,000 in December also on craigslist. http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4875895202.html

What is the cost for a container now maybe $1,500.00 or less? I have not shipped anything to there but have shipped from Africa to U.S. when doing tooling in South Africa. The car is in North Georgia and could go to Charleston or Savannah to go on boat. Small container would hold it and could carry some spares also. I took the owner or the Maersk shipping in Port Elisabeth hunting in 2011 but have lost his contact info.

It would make life so much easier and you would have a straight car. When you have to put floors and cowls in and you don't have a welding jig to hold everything in right place nothing fits. Doors, trunk hood. I would think long and hard about this one. I attached a copy of the Ford underbody dimensions for the Mustang. Here in the U.S. you can go to a frame shop and they verify these dimensions with a laser.

You need a copy of the Ford Shop Manuals which you can buy on DVD from the Mustang parts suppliers. It will give you illustrations of everything. The Ford dealer there might even have the old printed versions. If these are not to specification you will have noting fitting correctly.

The guy that did the welding before was crazy for sure.

I hunt at Rangers Ranch maybe 18 kilometers outside Uitenhage. I love going to Addo Elephant park got charged by both Rhino and Elephant there had to out run them in vehicle.

David

David you are 100% correct.

This exercise has thought me many lessons. Unfortunately I am to deep in it to back out and I am going to have to finish this.

Ive got the shop, parts and electrical manuals.

I have bought all parts needed. Its a loooooooong list. Im going to do this properly and give the car to my dad for his birthday coming up in June. Hope Ive got enough time!

I have heard of guys shipping cars and motors separately to get them into the country, but I didn't want to take any chances.

When I am done with this one I will take a chance on a new project to bring a car in.

Hunting in the Eastern Cape is great. Kudu are abundant and as you know theres lots of other game to.

African Mustang

David you are 100% correct.

This exercise has thought me many lessons. Unfortunately I am to deep in it to back out and I am going to have to finish this.

Ive got the shop, parts and electrical manuals.

I have bought all parts needed. Its a loooooooong list. Im going to do this properly and give the car to my dad for his birthday coming up in June. Hope Ive got enough time!

I have heard of guys shipping cars and motors separately to get them into the country, but I didn't want to take any chances.

When I am done with this one I will take a chance on a new project to bring a car in.

Hunting in the Eastern Cape is great. Kudu are abundant and as you know theres lots of other game to.

African Mustang
Wow that is an aggressive timeline to have the car done in June. It would take me until June a couple years away. Be sure and post lots of pictures during your build. I have sent info to a shipper to get a quote on shipping car in container to S.A. and will keep you updated.

I hope to come over in July or August and will look you up for sure. Maybe we can go hunting together, they let me guide at the ranch I go to been there so much. They said I knew the ranch better than anyone there.

Have a great day,

David

African Mustang,

You gotten this far with, I would replace the entire assembly per your previous post. Rust, it is either media blasted or cut out. Just think, you can rust proof it better than Ford would have ever done.

mustang7173

Based on the area of the lower cowl on the passenger side rear of the air inlet 'hat,' I would replace both the upper and lower. I think you said that you'd ordered those pieces?

Plus, as mustang7173 points out, this will allow you to prep and paint the new metal better than Ford did...

With the cowl panel sorted it was the rear ends turn today. The corner pieces of the trunk filler panel and tail light panel as well as the filler panel itself are pretty bad. They are not available new so I have put out a couple of inquiries for used parts.

Any comments or suggestions?

African Mustang

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897667.533391.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897692.999789.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897712.952059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897728.889984.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897755.508240.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897771.710840.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897795.430871.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897812.718592.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424897843.256497.jpg

Too bad you are so far away. I am sure you could get a much better one from the junk yards here. You need to be sure to take measurements of everything to get the body back square. With all the metal you have loose now not much keeping it in place. You are making progress which is good.

We got up to probably at least 6 inches of snow here this morning. We have had snow on the ground for the last couple weeks has halted all work on my garage.

David

Well I hope the snow passes soon. Its a scorcher here!

I was in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago. Check out these cars from a sheiks private collection.

Went to a Drag event at the F1 circuit and saw some nice cars there to.

African Mustang

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424983563.784461.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424983696.366234.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424983741.806195.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424983812.485376.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424983857.121416.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424984000.574386.jpg

Well I hope the snow passes soon. Its a scorcher here!

I was in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago. Check out these cars from a sheiks private collection.

Went to a Drag event at the F1 circuit and saw some nice cars there to.

African Mustang
Looks like he like T-Birds for sure. The 61 roadsters were a really nice car. Money talks.

David

Back