Aftermarket guages

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang hardtop 351c 2v
Just curious on what everyone is doing for guages, my gauge cluster consists of 4 warning lights, oil, temp, alt, ect.. Is anyone installing aftermarket gauges in the cluster or center dash console for better accuracy/reliability? If so, electric, or mechanical? Also what locations/ setup are you using for the sending units? Was thinking of putting a triple Guage in, but wanted to get some opions and insight. Any help is appreciated. 1972 mustang couple, 351c 2v. Thanks.

73pony

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
There are lots of threads on this. I went with electrical gauges. I kept my warning lights. I used a spot in the water pump where a no longer used vac switch was to locate the additional water temp sensor. For the oil pressure I used a T fitting to keep the old sensor and add the new one. Here is a pic of my gauges installed. I also made a harness for the gauges so if I needed to remove the center bezel for any reason it was simply a plug to disconnect.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Welcome to the Forum. 

There has been many post on this and some just recently if you search under "More" at the top right.

What I did on my car was to have the idiot light pod converted by Bob at Rocketman's classic Cougar innovations to a tach with the idiot light still working. Bob does a great job on converting these and well worth the money. As my car did not have center gauges either, I acquired a gauge center panel and converted it myself to mechanical temp and oil with a volt meter. I chose Bosch down sweep gauges as they look more like the originals, but there are many other brands out there that work well.

Here are a couple of pics of my set up just to give you an idea. I'm sure others will add what they have done. Some have gone all the way and gone full digital. It's up to you on what's right for you.

droptop73

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Very similar to what Jason did I added 3 VDO electronic gauges to a reproduction center dash bezel. I don't have a photo at the moment but just imagine Jason's with black faces. LOL

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang hardtop 351c 2v
Right on, thanks for the input fellas. 73 Pony you mentioned using a T adaptor to keep original warning light sending unit, did you have to special order that, or should be available at local autoparts store? Also what manufacturer has help up for you as far as a electronic triple Guage setup, don't mind spending a little extra as long as it holds up. Thanks again,

73pony

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
Gauges are Autometer. I got the fitting at a hardware store I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

73pony

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
Thank you sir.
I can try to sneak the camera back there tonight when I get home and get a pic for you.

1973_Mustang_Conv

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible.
Restoring and fixing as I go.

Any way to get to the links referenced in the thread. Since I am more of a visual person , I would like to see the details.

I also tried to search 'triple gauges" and came back with nothing. Getting used to the new platform, so my apologies as i learn to use this.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I went with Dakota Digital.

xiDugoa.jpg