Aftermarket Seats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351C H-code. AOD swap in progress
2000 Harley Softail Standard
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was using aftermarket style seats in their Mustangs. My seat frame is cracked, and I bought a replacement frame that was stolen in Albuquerque (motto is “Come for the Balloon Fiesta, stay because your car got stolen!”). I repaired the original frame once already, and don’t have high hopes for a second repair, and it’s getting really hard to find 71-73 seat frames that aren’t cracked.

I think the best way forward will be to buy an aftermarket style seat, but I don’t know what looks good and fits well. It’s a huge investment, and I want to get it right the first time. I have the white interior too, so that limits options since most seats are black.

Thanks!

Sorry to read of your misfortune. It is aggravating that people are so dishonest.

If you were able to weld and reinforce your original seat frames you should be good. If not, there was a member on here with a blue Mach 1 that retrofitted some early Fox Mustang seats that looked like a great alternative. He had them custom upholstered to match the original materials and pattern.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. It is aggravating that people are so dishonest.

If you were able to weld and reinforce your original seat frames you should be good. If not, there was a member on here with a blue Mach 1 that retrofitted some early Fox Mustang seats that looked like a great alternative. He had them custom upholstered to match the original materials and pattern.
The repair has already failed, so I need something new. That is certainly something to look into! Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was using aftermarket style seats in their Mustangs. My seat frame is cracked, and I bought a replacement frame that was stolen in Albuquerque (motto is “Come for the Balloon Fiesta, stay because your car got stolen!”). I repaired the original frame once already, and don’t have high hopes for a second repair, and it’s getting really hard to find 71-73 seat frames that aren’t cracked.

I think the best way forward will be to buy an aftermarket style seat, but I don’t know what looks good and fits well. It’s a huge investment, and I want to get it right the first time. I have the white interior too, so that limits options since most seats are black.

Thanks!
Are you thinking more of a factory look seat or aftermarket look?

Are you thinking more of a factory look seat or aftermarket look?
I would prefer a factory look, but with a better seat (thicker bolsters, adjustable), but I'm open to an aftermarket look. I would like to know what the aftermarket looks like in the Mustang before buying it, though.

I recently removed my original ginger colored seats and installed black seats from Corbeau. They do not look like the original seats but are extremely comfortable. They also sit up a little higher than the original seats so if your more than 6’1”, your head may be touching the headliner.

Attachments

• 7486A39E-C070-46FF-8DD6-41A9B36D9333.jpeg
    7486A39E-C070-46FF-8DD6-41A9B36D9333.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 6E6BFD5A-A9FF-46ED-881D-F678222ACFF8.jpeg
    6E6BFD5A-A9FF-46ED-881D-F678222ACFF8.jpeg
    938.2 KB · Views: 0
Procar and Corbeau make White sport seats. I currently run the Corbeau LG1 Black leather. As Steve previously mentioned, they sit a bit higher then factory. They work perfectly with the factory seat and shoulder belts. They are supremely comfortable and hold you in on the turns.

Attachments

• 16809725351756105066597313582856.jpg
    16809725351756105066597313582856.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 16809727080113080165363073853227.jpg
    16809727080113080165363073853227.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I have sat in the Procar vinyl high back seats. Good look, comfortable, good bolsters. It was in an XB Falcon, so a bigger car. Might be tight getting around the bolsters in a 71-73.

Here's the link to seats I referenced in my earlier post: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/recovered-seats-are-almost-done.38608/

Procar and Corbeau make White sport seats. I currently run the Corbeau LG1 Black leather. As Steve previously mentioned, they sit a bit higher then factory. They work perfectly with the factory seat and shoulder belts. They are supremely comfortable and hold you in on the turns.
Did you modify the original seat tracks or purchase a corbeau set?

I used Scat Procar Elite reclining with adjustable lumbar support. I did not use the adapters because they made the seats sit up too high. I reused the old slides which required me to drill new holes in the seat bottoms and then use some spacers as shims as the new seats have a straight bottom and the old slides are curved. The end result was fantastic with very comfortable seats. Summit racing is where I ordered them but they were dropped shipped from Scat. They have a variety of seats reasonable and expensive. I am very satisfied with my new seats. If your existing slides are corroded, you can buy repro replacements on eBay.

I have the Procar's on my '72 and while they're great once you're in them, they're a bit of a pain to get in and out of. Total hassle if you're planning on daily driving it.

I also went with the Fox-body seats for my '65 and '73. Much more comfortable. I recently had the seats on the '65 re-done.

Attachments

• C1763F4D-9EC0-4F5A-90EB-0A5EAF1C1007.JPG
    C1763F4D-9EC0-4F5A-90EB-0A5EAF1C1007.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 0
Back