Ain't this the truth?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sight them all. My firs job other than mowing grass and tilling gardens was a carpenters helper. i started at 14 years old made $1.00 an hour. Since I was the kid I got all the high work walking the edge of a 2X6 nailing the rafters to the ridge pole. I love to build stuff goes so fast. 

I have been helping my daughter and her husband rebuild their deck.  Purchased most of the 5/4 x 6 decking at Lowes.  They purchased the premium #1 grade.  I hate to say it but I think you are right where the lumber came from.  A lot of sap wood.  I know that there are hardly any old growth trees left but to pay $27 for a 16' deck board that a few years ago would have been graded #2 is robbery.  Home Depots is the same.  Hard to fine good quality lumber anymore.  

Its been 10 times worse since the pandemic!  If you can even find the wood to buy, it costs about double than it did last year.  Was planning on building my garage next summer but if the prices dont come back down to reality, I'm gonna have to wait another year. 

We just priced out the roof trusses, osb, shingles, soffit and fascia for my buddies 24x16 deck.  We built the deck early this summer and was waiting til now to put the roof on.  It was over $8K just for the materials and 4 weeks to get the trusses.  He had quotes from last year when he was planning the build for around $4,500.  

I have been helping my daughter and her husband rebuild their deck.  Purchased most of the 5/4 x 6 decking at Lowes.  They purchased the premium #1 grade.  I hate to say it but I think you are right where the lumber came from.  A lot of sap wood.  I know that there are hardly any old growth trees left but to pay $27 for a 16' deck board that a few years ago would have been graded #2 is robbery.  Home Depots is the same.  Hard to fine good quality lumber anymore.  
 Earlier this year in May, we had to replace the decking around our (semi) above ground pool, due to the 10 year old original rotting out.

I paid $12.98 CAD for a 5/4 x16 footer and that is less than 10 bucks US. There is no such thing a "good wood" anymore. But, let me ask you this, why the hell are we still building "stick houses? There are many better building material that can be used....... Oh wait! they would take too long to build a house and cut into the profit.

Its the same in the UK, 

If you use any of the large DIY Stores the wood is so fresh that when they cut the strapping you can almost see it twist in front of your eyes!  Also the amount of Knots in the wood is a pain in the butt.

I had trade accounts and another Lumber yard, their Lumber was much better quality (seasoned longer) and also less knots,

but you paid more, it was worth it as it saved you time on the job.  

They have been clearing a natural gas pipeline 50 yards from my shop. They came to me to see if I wanted any firewood. I just cut over 3 years worth last year so I said no. They are hauling hundreds of loads of Oak, poplar, maple and pine to the local stump grinder and paying $100 a load to get rid of it. They grind it up for mulch. This is timber not near a home so no nails. What a waste. Some of the trees are over 36" in diameter. Here you cannot cut timber and saw lumber and use to build. I has to be kiln dried and stamped with the grade. Lumber is graded by the knots in the lumber so it should not vary from yard to yard. A computer actually looks at it and sends to the correct grade pile. The pine lumber is what we call in the south 30 year pine. They plant and then cut after 30 years. When I did my shop I priced at several suppliers and some were 200% of others. Shop around. OSB is stupid high and all the trees they are trashing here could be used for OSB. It is going to rot in someone's flower bed. 

Yep, Same story here in Idaho.

We have  billions of board feet in the mountains here. 3/4 of the state is trees. My Daughter and son in law build new homes here. About 10 homes a year. In the last 3 years lumber has doubled in price. Making a home double as well. A home 4 years ago could be had for 140k now its 310k here. I worry about the next generation and what they will do? How can a general laborer afford a 1/2 million $ home today?

Wish I had davids lumber, I would mill it and use it for a barn or something. Build a barn out of OAK .....Yea Baby.

Lumber prices have gone through the roof here in North Idaho.  In the past few months OSB sheathing has doubled in price from around $16 per sheet to $34.  You can't even buy a 2 x 8 because they are worth more ripped to 2 x 4s.  Funny though that log prices have remained flat.  I live right down the road from one of the two lumber mills in my county.  Loggers and forest land owners are pissed that the run up in pricing has not translated to higher log prices.  There's money being made somewhere, just not where the lumber is grown.

Back