Air Compressor, Tools, etc

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2011 Mustang GT
Looking for information on good air compressor's and any/all tools that are must have's for my 72 Mach 1 project.  I'll be doing the interior, 351c rebuild, some body panels, etc.  I know a lot of you guys on here have been through some pretty serious builds so I'm looking to gather some recommendations and make a list of tools that I'll need to obtain before I start.  I don't know too much about air compressors...just the difference between oil and oil free, SCFM ratings, and tank capacity.  What are some minimum requirements for tank capacity and also for the CFM rating? 

Thanks

Mike,

I would suggest buying the biggest air compressor you can afford. 5-7 HP, definitely a cast iron pump, preferably an 80 gallon tank, and at least 15-20 CFM. If you are going to do any sandblasting you will need a decent sized air compressor to run one properly. I had a Dayton Speedair for a lot of years and a Quincy that could handle about anything. Ingersoll Rand also makes a quality air compressor. After that you can select a variety of air tools to fit your need. A set of torches and a mig welder can also be invaluable for restoration. Good luck. Buying tools is a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
add an inline oiler to help maintain your tools in top condition.

Better quality and larger tanked compressors are quieter-but most are loud. if you can position or build a shed to get it out of the space you are working in you'll be better off.

as to hoses, I like the rubber hoses- the poly hoses just seem to have too much memory and want to coil back up. even better is to build in a system so your hose runs are shorter

Yeah...I wish I had a nice shed or better yet a detached garage/shop.  Unfortunately I do not so I was looking at 30-40 gallon air compressors.  Would I be able to get away with using that size or will it be more of a pain?

If your looking at smaller compressors try to go with a 60 gallan. I have an 80 gallon ingersoll rand and it's awesome. I work the hell out of it a lot more than your average guy and these compressors are awesome. You can pick them up at tractor supply for a reasonable price and it will do anything you may ever want to do with it. As far as an inline oiler, they are great but do not use one if you plan on painting. Or run a separate line for painting. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-5-hp-air-compressor-60-gal

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older version of one of these Craftsman 120V 33 gal compressors. It does 95% of everything I've ever needed to do as I restored two cars. Does not take a lot of space.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-gallon-vertical-air-compressor/p-00916572000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

It won't keep up with my cabinet blaster when I'm using 90 psi, so I have to be patient and take a few more minutes to do a part. No special power requirements and I can wheel it around if needed.

Air tools at 100 psi are no problem.

I have a 60 gallon 5 hp and it works OK. I am more of a hand tool guy and use the compressor to run the blast cabinet, air up tires and run a sander from time to time. I sometimes wonder if I really need that loud thing over in the corner of the shop. Just my 2 cents.

I didn't see any mention of power supply. I had a 60 gal 3 hp, but it was only 110V. It couldn't keep up to air tools, pretty much useless so I sold it. If I were to buy another, I would first have 230V put in, then buy the biggest I could that would fit into my single car garage. I would also build a sound barrier around it, but not to restrict air flow. These things are ear shattering. I would add hard lines around the walls with water traps and quick connect plug-ins. The shorter the rubber hose the better imo. I have always preferred to oil my tools manually daily, That way I know they are getting oiled.

I use a 40 gallon Husky at home, but I also have access to a full shop with a nice big commercial unit and it is much nicer.

The 40 gallon is okay for 3/8ths air ratchet, and even the 1/2 inch for pulling tires, but you do have to stop and wait for it to catch up after pulling 2 wheels. If you are going to use it to power sanders, saws or cutting tools, go bigger.

I use mine almost every day. I rarely pick up a hand tool anymore LOL!! I have impact guns, 1/4-3/8-1/2 ratchets, angle grinders, flange tools, body saws, DA sanders, long boards sanders, air hammer, grease gun, 3' cut off tool, portable sand blaster, ect ect. Still wanting to get a blast cabinet too. If you run these types of air tools you better get the 60 gal. I can run 2 DA sanders at once with my 80 gal. when I have a helper in the garage. If you want a blast cabinet it will require ALOT of CFM.

I think this is the best "bang for the buck" compressor I've found. https://www.google.com/shopping/product/18283942341269191843?lsf=seller:8049,store:7465223291414696962&prds=oid:696138361647329750&q=qtv+54+compressor&hl=en&ei=2JfSWIHtM4qe0gKVp7iABQ&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblTzpmz2SQAeH2MpUAoXldcgPmGW57LzTlwShTNtJkx7hoC_Ubw_wcB

It's been in service for 3-4 years and has done everything I've asked of it, air tools, DA, paint gun, etc..

Chuck

Looking for information on good air compressor's and any/all tools that are must have's for my 72 Mach 1 project.  I'll be doing the interior, 351c rebuild, some body panels, etc.  I know a lot of you guys on here have been through some pretty serious builds so I'm looking to gather some recommendations and make a list of tools that I'll need to obtain before I start.  I don't know too much about air compressors...just the difference between oil and oil free, SCFM ratings, and tank capacity.  What are some minimum requirements for tank capacity and also for the CFM rating? 

Thanks
hi mike, if you are planning on priming or painting. very important to have a good and well placed oil and water separator. 25' or more from your compressor, run your lines uphill from the compressor .the cooler the air the better. look at. rti, devilbiss, motorgaurd. rti has a pretty good shop diagram then you can shop around or stop in your local auto paint supplier." turbine" spray gun setups like accuspray also work well as they blow clean dry air. water in your 1st coat of primer can ruin your paint - body job from the get go.

I will more than likely use a blasting cabinet since there are many parts on my project that are coated in a pretty fancy color that looks something like rust. lollerz

I may do some painting but probably mostly smaller jobs.

I will more than likely use a blasting cabinet since there are many parts on my project that are coated in a pretty fancy color that looks something like rust. lollerz

I may do some painting but probably mostly smaller jobs.
That is factory patina!

Back