Air conditioner gone.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
I have a panel that looks like the car had AC but under the hood there is no AC.

I dont get any heat in the car and also i cannot switch where the air blows no matter how i put the ac switch all the air comes out at the frontwindow?

Trying to figure out if it could be the Heater Blower/Air Conditioning Motor Assembly thats need to be changed or if it could be the ACP Vacuum Switch Assembly Air Conditioning/Heater Control, anyone think this could be it ?

Does your control say just COOL or A/C and MAX FRESH and COOL. If it says just COOL your car never had A/C. The flapper that controls where the air flow goes (heat or defrost) in a heater only car is controlled by a cable that runs from the control to the heater box. In an A/C car it is controlled by vacuum, with a vacuum switch on the back of the control and a vacuum motor on the heater-A/C box.

It says A/C and i find 3 or 4 of those vaccum actuator motors, they seems to be the ones that control where the air should go, but they dont work cause i only get air the window, cant change where the air goes.

I find that cable goes to the flapper, i think, it looks broke.

I did also find out today that in the engine compartment i see 4 hoses that has nothing on them. I guess 2 of them goes to the heater core isnt that one suppose to get hot water from where?

1619372844840.jpg

1619372844855.jpg

1619372844868.jpg

1619373386535.jpg

The threaded connections are for A/C, the other two are for the heater. One heater hose (the return line) connects to the water pump, the other one to the block near the water pump.

The cable that connects to the A/C control goes to the air blend flapper (door) and controls the heat. The flapper that controls the defrost and heat, and the one that controls the air to the A/C vents, are controlled by vacuum.

Yes your car did come with AC. The second picture on the right is the heater core hook up and on the left is the AC lines going to the box. There should have been an expansion valve there and then hoses to the compressor. I would suggest you take the heater box out probably a leak in the heater core. Search for threads about it on the Forum. You have to pull the dash out to get the heater box and blower out. Not difficult and there are several threads about it. Also go to the WCCC, West Coast Cougar Classics, web page they have great video on how to open the heater AC box and how to restore. You will need new heater core and foam kit. If you are going to try to get AC going you need to get the evaporator flushed and pressure checked.

I got the heater housing out today without take away the dash, not the best way i presume, but I didnt succed to take away the dash.

Filled the heater core with water and still it doesnt leak anything after 5 hours, it seems to be good or do i have to put som pressure on it?

Im not going to restore the A/C so my question is, can i just take it out the A/C core shouldnt affect anything and put the housing back without it ?

And when i connect hose to the heater core does it matter how i connect the hoses to the water pump, I guess i should connect it to where the wrench is and the one next to it?

and of course also i had an accindent with the vaccum hose under the hood, i broke the  it when i tryed to pull it apart, guess i could put i new nipple whatever that fits or is it som vaccum special?

And also thank you very much for the help really appreciate it.....

1619416371471.jpg

1619416371466.jpg

1619429311746.jpg

Thank you, i need the vaccum water opener before i can proceed. Ill get back when i get it.... Btw does it matter how you connect i to the heater?

WTF?  somebody used straight water??

I had the same issue of only blowing to the defroster.  Turned out that the vacuum hose to the resivour was disconnected. 

Back