Air conditioner question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny nunez

Reaction score
My Car
71 Grande fast back
Where is the sensor that senses when the evaporator is about to ice up and  controls the compressor clutch.

The PO rigged up a toggle switch to manually control the clutch.  

I will probably pull the AC- heat box to replace the heater core anyway.

Located left upper corner of evaporator case. you can see where probe goes through hole in case. I replaced mine after removing glove compartment liner, but since your are removing for heater core replacement, will not be a problem. Ford part# is D1ZZ-19618-A (Motorcraft YH-122). No longer available from Ford but can be found on line or use Ford numbers to cross at your favorite parts house.

Happy Turkey Day!!

19618-2.jpg

19618-d1zz-a.jpg

If you pull you heater box I am sure you know the dash needs to move out of the way with AC. Take seats out and console if you have. There are only like 8 fasteners not really that bad to pull dash back. Got to WCCC West Coast Cougar Classics they have video on heater box rebuild. You will need a foam kit and I add a piece of 1/4 mesh wire between the cowl and the heart box to keep the critters out. Nobody can see and it works. I also put the mesh on the back side of the plastic cowl vent grill use small zip ties to hold. Then I cut a small piece of stainless steel pot scrubber pad in the cowl vent drains so they cannot put nest inside the cowl. Bad pic of the mesh on the heater box.
Also when you take the doors apart inside the heater box support around the shafts so you do not break the box. Also the drain hose will break the connection easily. I have a long 3/16" drill bit I run in the groves in the doors for the wire forms makes them go back in easier. Might want to replace the blower motor also. I did not and just after back in the motor started to squeal.
If your heater box does not look good wash with lacquer thinner and spray with satin clear will look like new. If it has been painted remove the paint first.
You might want to take the condenser and evaporator to AC shop and get it flushed. If you have not changed out the O-rings to new good time to do that. Also new schrade valves at the service ports. I use Duracool much better than R134 or R-12 and you can order online.

DSC_0945.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to put a mesh wire across or on top of my 2 cowl vents. I completely rebuilt the cowl but forgot to measure the tops to place wire on top of them. Thanks for the reminder David :)

Anyone have a cowl vent exposed to tell me what it is across the top of it? I then can make 2 wire mesh's to place on top of them. Thank you in advance if you can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back