Air conditioning

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

So looking to install an under dash air con unit. Sorting the condenser and underdash unit is not a prob. Just wanting to see where the compressor mounts on a 351 Cleveland which also has power steering?

Cheers
Jase

Is that plate mounted to the top of the compressor supplied by Classic Air or Old Air products? Or did you fabricate that?
I made the top plate so I could have something to bolt the A/C tensioner bracket and the Ford factory P/S cooler to. I welded steel tubes to allow me to side the compressor forward and back on the bolts. The space between the tensioner bracket and the compressor was ver tight so the top plate was thin, so i added a thicker plate as20201207_192343.jpg20210517_090121.jpg20210428_150122.jpg reinforcement between the tubes. The cooler was used on 71 - 73 Fords with the factory Yorke Compressors. Not sure if Ford used them prior to 1971, but had one and liked the idea of adding it to my car.

I made the top plate so I could have something to bolt the A/C tensioner bracket and the Ford factory P/S cooler to. I welded steel tubes to allow me to side the compressor forward and back on the bolts. The space between the tensioner bracket and the compressor was ver tight so the top plate was thin, so i added a thicker plate asView attachment 64579View attachment 64580View attachment 64581 reinforcement between the tubes. The cooler was used on 71 - 73 Fords with the factory Yorke Compressors. Not sure if Ford used them prior to 1971, but had one and liked the idea of adding it to my car.
Just brilliant!

Does anyone know the model # of the York compressor used on 72 Mustangs with factory air? I’m considering rebuilding my leaking shaft seal and trying to source parts for it first. I suspect the model # is likely beneath the compressor facing the bottom bracket. Has anyone had experience rebuilding these units that require a new shaft seal?

Does anyone know the model # of the York compressor used on 72 Mustangs with factory air? I’m considering rebuilding my leaking shaft seal and trying to source parts for it first. I suspect the model # is likely beneath the compressor facing the bottom bracket. Has anyone had experience rebuilding these units that require a new shaft seal?
The compressor is usually a York 210 on a Ford. There are two (2) different front shaft seal kits for them. To pick which seal is required look at the front seal cover behind the clutch/coil on the front of the compressor. The early compressors had a front seal cover plate with five (5) bolts and the later ones had six (6) bolts. Please refer to the attached photo.

Attachments

• York comp seals (3).jpg
    York comp seals (3).jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks so much, Mike,
The breadth of knowledge of this group is quite remarkable!
I agree. As much as I enjoy participating in other forums and Facebook Groups re: these First Generation Mustangs and Shelbys, I have had a much deeper experience with this particular forum. I try to be as much a provider of information as I can be, as opposed to just consuming. But, given how much information flows from this forum I feel I am losing ground in that effort, heh heh...

Anyway, I agree. The breadth of knowledge within this forum is no less than remarkable. My hat is off to all of my fellow forum members and enthusiasts who participate so very graciously. We are all better off for the collective effort.

Attachments

• AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 3

Hello Retired2014,
The york compressor on your '72 is the same model Ford has used since 1963. It continued to be production installed through the early '90s on the F600-900 truck series with integral (factory) air until the Sanden compressor was phased in. The 6-bolt model (R210-L) was used mainly on hang-on (Dealer installed) air, although there were some '69 and prior integral AC applications. The Ford part number for the seal kit you need is C9AZ19655-B (Motorcraft YE-11). This seal kit is no longer available from Ford. If you have a favorite parts house with keyboard warriors you trust, they should be able to cross the Ford or Motorcraft numbers to something in their product line. The Ford kit shows on E-Bay, Green sales, http://www.greensalescompany.com/, and Nos Parts https://nospartsltd.com/ parts searches, but with no date codes on most of the cartons, you cant be sure of the age of the kits. They were available for a short while for the F600-900 trucks I mentioned earlier but were discontinued in the early 2000s.
When Ford dealer parts personnel were unsure of the model or type of AC compressor, they only checked the tag on the compressor for the prefix and suffix with the basic "2875" engineering identification number.

Attachments

• 19703-d3az-a1.jpg
    19703-d3az-a1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for your reply! I did locate the correct (I hope) seal kit from an obscure Fleabay seller. There are many vendors selling the later 6 hole seal version, but few choices when it comes to sourcing the older 5 hole version. I am breathlessly awaiting the delivery of the seal kit I ordered, ever hopeful it is as portrayed… Always fun locating parts for a 50 year old vehicle on the internet. The local parts supply houses (Autozone, O’Reillys, NAPA,) were all dead ends, a familiar tune when sourcing old parts.

Back