Air Gap Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carguy4sp

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang
Well I am not very good on the fab side of things and I was hoping someone else had had the same problems and can help a little.

I installed a new Air Gap intake on my 1972 351C and bolted up the throttle cable this morning and it looks like it is 2" to long at idle and 4" too long at WOT.

In the stock location with the stock bracket and stock cable from my old setup 4300.

I looked for an adjustment but I cannot see anyway to adjust that much length out of this cable. I did a search on this site and did not find anything related to a long cable.

I also have a coil mount problem in that the old coil mount location will no longer work due to the humpy large runners, it will not mount in the same location, any ideas?

2aes6zo.jpg

1255jtg.jpg

18cbv4.jpg

Did you try hooking it up? You may still have enough travel to get to WOT even though the cable is a little long. Do you have the bushing and the ball stud for the throttle lever?

If you hook it up and it binds before you reach WOT you can make a simple plate to off set the factory mount toward the firewall or go to an aftermarket bracket like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-210239blk/overview/

Thanks I finally figured it out, sometimes I am just not very smart.....hahahahahah

It sounds like you got the throttle cable sorted out. As far as the coil goes, see if you can find a way to mount the coil vertically instead of horizontally. It never made sense to me to mount an oil filled coil horizontally. Just a suggestion. Chuck

Back