All About Build Sheets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe one of you guys that know the build sheets can tell me more about mine. It is from a 73 vert special order non factory color. It has three notes in the bottom H & I remarks sections of things that superseded items in the upper section. I sent a copy to Marti and he was no help except noticing that the second note that you can read says to install Argent bumper. I found another owner of a black special order 73 vert he did not have the build sheet but it had not been painted and had the argent front bumper and argent fillers in front of the rear bumper. There are two other notes on my sheet something about wheels and hood and several numbers I cannot put together. I will have to try using the grease wax remover like suggested early in this thread to clean up the sheet.

I would like to clear this up so I can take to MCA to add something to the judging about special order cars. The special order is something that is not on the options list for that year.

david 73black vvert.pdf

Attachments

• david 73black vvert.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 23
Check with fangstang. I think his 72 had a 7V top code, from his pictures it looks black.
Thanks!

I may have just answered my own question. 99% sure it was brown because of this. The tag was still on the car and in pretty good shape. I'll PM fangstang and see what his is. Seems weird to me to have a medium brown metallic car with a brown top... but if brown is what it was brown is what it will be.

20160522_125442-480x853.jpg

Maybe one of you guys that know the build sheets can tell me more about mine. It is from a 73 vert special order non factory color. It has three notes in the bottom H & I remarks sections of things that superseded items in the upper section. I sent a copy to Marti and he was no help except noticing that the second note that you can read says to install Argent bumper. I found another owner of a black special order 73 vert he did not have the build sheet but it had not been painted and had the argent front bumper and argent fillers in front of the rear bumper. There are two other notes on my sheet something about wheels and hood and several numbers I cannot put together. I will have to try using the grease wax remover like suggested early in this thread to clean up the sheet.

I would like to clear this up so I can take to MCA to add something to the judging about special order cars. The special order is something that is not on the options list for that year.
Looks like additional comments are to paint hood, fenders and wheels 2J. 2J was maroon in 72 but not listed for 73? What color is the vert?

Second line does appear to be install argent front bumper.

Third line - my guess is that it says install argent rear sight shields?

My eyes are not great and this is a best guess which I suspect does not help much.

Looks like additional comments are to paint hood, fenders and wheels 2J. 2J was maroon in 72 but not listed for 73? What color is the vert?

Second line does appear to be install argent front bumper.

Third line - my guess is that it says install argent rear sight shields?

My eyes are not great and this is a best guess which I suspect does not help much.
It is black. Marti had thought maybe Argent insert in hood like Sprint models and argent stripes but just cannot tell.

There are remnants of argent side stripes. Mart did not get the records for Special Order cars so he cannot give details.

Check with fangstang. I think his 72 had a 7V top code, from his pictures it looks black.
Thanks!

I may have just answered my own question. 99% sure it was brown because of this. The tag was still on the car and in pretty good shape. I'll PM fangstang and see what his is. Seems weird to me to have a medium brown metallic car with a brown top... but if brown is what it was brown is what it will be.

72 vinyl top avail.JPG

Ray

Excellent!

Appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Ray

I was never that lucky, I looked everywhere and have no Idea where it got to. I've always wondered if all cars had build sheets left in them or did some just get tossed by the Tech's after completion? Maybe mine was used as a napkin to wipe the mayo off the mouth of an assembly line worker after eating his bologna sandwich. Who knows.

I was never that lucky, I looked everywhere and have no Idea where it got to. I've always wondered if all cars had build sheets left in them or did some just get tossed by the Tech's after completion? Maybe mine was used as a napkin to wipe the mayo off the mouth of an assembly line worker after eating his bologna sandwich. Who knows.
Or they used the paper to roll a joint! Lol rofl

I am in the process of trying to recreate my build sheet. Most of my original is lost to time spent stuck to the underlayment. I have been able to use original paint marks, tags and serial numbers for some things. I would appreciate any help from folks who have 73 convertible H code with any or all of the following options A/C, C6, PW, Tilt, Convenience group, Decor Package, Aluminum Slot wheels.

Thanks all,

Rich

Eminger Invoice

My Buck Tag

My original Build Sheet

My recreation so far.. Not certain what I have filled in is correct. Particularly the items in red. 

online gif hosting

i want to upload my photo on facebook

upload pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be able to help you here. I have a 73 H code vert but not nearly as well optioned as yours. I also have my build sheet in decent condition. See below. Hopefully it will help with some of what you are looking for.

Scott

I may be able to help you here.  I have a 73 H code vert but not nearly as well optioned as yours.  I also have my build sheet in decent condition.  See below.  Hopefully it will help with some of what you are looking for.

Scott

Hey Scott, Thank you! Could you tell me a bit more about your car to help me understand what I am looking at in your build sheet?  For example, do you have an FMX trans, factory gauges, console, what axle ratio? Looks like you have an Ivy Green car, do you have black interior with a white roof? What is your alternator.... i.e 55 or 61 amps. I believe 61 amps was common for A/C cars. Looks like you have standard rims with dog dish caps and radials... correct? Looks like you have competition suspension and variable rate steering..correct? I don't, which would explain the different values for steering, shocks, and suspension.

I have a lot of questions and I appreciate your help.

Rich

I have completed my first pass at reproducing my buildsheet. My original one had very little that was still readable, so by comparing other buildsheets for cars similar to mine, I think I have a good facsimile of what mine looked like. Being a bit of a computer geek, I created my own window truetype font to match what was used on the buildsheet including the slashed zero and the other nuances in the various letters and numbers. I then scanned a blank repro buildsheet as a template and create a MS Word document as an overlay to the scanned image/template and then type the numbers and letters in their respective boxes and lines. I just type and print it on my HP color inkjet printer. Final steps are hole punch the tractor feed holes, seal the inkjet ink, then stain the hell out it and let it dry. The picture below shows the blank sheet, the printed and hole punched, and stained. The lower left is an original 73 buildsheet for comparison.  

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Always like to read about how others have found ways to creatively research and preserve their car's history, as well as, reproduce or restore its documentation. For me, researching and learning about a car's history is as interesting as the restoration itself.

Great work by all who continue to contribute! Hopefully, this work to decipher the build sheets will keep making progress for all years.

Question - on the Marti Reports there are a bunch of alphanumeric data listed under

"VEHICLE ORDER IMAGE". Does this data correlated directly to the info on the build sheets????

Here is what Marti says:

http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=25

Thanks.

Ray

Ray, that's a good question. Best I can tell some of the punch card values are an exact translation, while other values are abreviated or reduced to a single punch card position. Remember in the old mainframe computer days storage was expensive so values were reduced (compressed) as much as possible to conserve computing space.

Back