All About Build Sheets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought i would add one

This came in zip lock bag with my convertible

Wayne

Maybe some of you have noticed the masking tape on the top of the build sheet. I had heard that one was taped to each quarter and one on the radiator support. Here is a picture where there was a piece of masking tape still on my 73 Mach 1 radiator support. That could be how some cars had three build sheets in them they tossed them all in the car. 

Also when I ordered my car I specifically gave the dealership instructions for no dealer prep. The IBM punch cards were still in the floor of the car and I did put them up but have not located their hiding place to this date. There was an extra set of the stainless pedal trim, various screws and I got my shipping brackets that were bolted to the rear frame for tie down. 

The pic of my build sheet in the 73 with no hope of removing what was left. The reason it was stuck so bad is my car had a roof rail leak brand new. It had 2" of water in that floor well the second day I owned it. If it had been dry would have been good. 

Lots of great info in this thread had lots of input from many members so we can all learn more. 

I think I have a full box of that track feed paper somewhere will have to see if it matches the build sheet and maybe try to build my own like others have.

blackberry phone for sale on ebay

I know I've posted on my 3 build sheets before elsewhere, but here are a few pics of the one I found in my 71 Mach 1. There were two under the driver side under pad, rear seat and one under the front floor under pad just in front of the seat. All in excellent condition, though not perfect.

Worst of the three.

This one is what I saw when the carpet was removed. ( should have been 1st pic)

Is the blank build sheet available somewhere?  Mine are long gone.
Try here.... https://www.ecklers.com/assembly-line-new-vehicle-build-sheet-ford-1972-42-75583-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp42-75583-1&sc_intid=42-75583-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvbbYn6TZ6AIVDp6fCh2qMQIiEAYYASABEgLL8fD_BwE#tab-label-details_tab-title

The easy part is buying a black buildsheet. The hard part is figuring out all the codes you will need to match your car build and options. Finally figuring out the correct font and overlaying and printing the values on to the blank sheet. My first suggestion is to scan the blank buildsheet you purchase and set it aside. Work with the scanned image until you get it the way you want it.

I spent a lot of time researching the codes for my car and then creating the right font and creating a template as an overlay to print the final version. See pages 7 & 8 in this thread.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I read rackerm's post above and used the link to find this https://www.ecklers.com/assembly-line-new-vehicle-build-sheet-ford-1971-90-75584-1.html

Would that work for my 71 M code? I tried looking under the drivers carpet only so far but I am guessing the people who restored it trashed the build sheets. I guess I will have to make some myself :eek:
Try this one for a 1971 ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-FORD-GALAXIE-MAVERICK-PINTO-MUSTANG-THUNDERBIRD-TORINO-LTD-BUILD-SHEET-/391894426403. Yes you will have to recreate the codes. See if you can find someone who has the same car (base and options, interior and exterior colors, etc) or a car as close as possible with a legible buildsheet and start piecing it together from those build sheets. Also, if you have pictures of the original paint marks from your car for such things as drive shaft, coil and leaf springs, also the buck, engine, trans, and rear metal tags. These paint codes and tag codes were on the build sheet to help the assembler pick the right part from the parts bin.

I was thinking the overlay font was a file posted. I didn’t see it. But the link to the blank build sheet is perfect! Thanks. I am fine hand lettering the info. I have enough info from cars similar in build and build date that I can populate the form. Many thanks.

I found 2 build sheets in my 72 Mach 1 today.

Both are in ok condition and I can use them both to figure out the printing for each code where it is hard to read on the damaged parts on each.

I'm curious to know what the code A stands for in the belt colour section. (B 24)..  Mine has standard trim and belts but the trim is ginger. So trying to understand if they should be black or ginger.

20210530_200014 (Large).jpg20210530_200038 (Large).jpg

I may be able to help. I was extremely lucky and found 3 very good build sheets in my 71 Mach 1. My car was a very basic model and limited options. The interior trim code is 1A so basic black. The code under "belts" is A. See pic of mine. Therefore as I know my car was pretty much original when I bought it, the seat belts were black. 

On yours, medium Ginger is listed as AF, AFB, AFC, or AF1 (I can't read your trim code) according to the Marti Mustang and Cougar Tag Book. Those are the basic trims. If your car has the knitted seat inserts, the book lists CF, CFA, CFB, or CFE. There is no reference to seat belts that I can find in this book. There are many variations listed, but no mention of belt choice. I can only assume that if your build sheet shows "A" (box24) the belts would be black. Perhaps someone else can add to this, but that's all the info I have.

View attachment Build Sheet.pdf

I may be able to help. I was extremely lucky and found 3 very good build sheets in my 71 Mach 1. My car was a very basic model and limited options. The interior trim code is 1A so basic black. The code under "belts" is A. See pic of mine. Therefore as I know my car was pretty much original when I bought it, the seat belts were black. 

On yours, medium Ginger is listed as AF, AFB, AFC, or AF1 (I can't read your trim code) according to the Marti Mustang and Cougar Tag Book. Those are the basic trims. If your car has the knitted seat inserts, the book lists CF, CFA, CFB, or CFE. There is no reference to seat belts that I can find in this book. There are many variations listed, but no mention of belt choice. I can only assume that if your build sheet shows "A" (box24) the belts would be black. Perhaps someone else can add to this, but that's all the info I have.

View attachment 51931
Bdennis,

Geof is correct. I have a 73 Convertible with Deluxe Ginger interior (CF), and it has Ginger belts FD (F= Color and D=type). I also had a 73 Vert with Black Deluxe Interior with black belts (AD).  The trim code is usually the key for the subsequent color codes, on such things as belts and steering wheel and column, floor mats, etc. These color keyed parts should also have an "F" for Ginger ex. A black two spoke steering wheel and column is: "BAA" and a Ginger 3 spoke (Rim Blow) steering wheel is: "3FF".

As far as I have seen Ginger interior cars came with Ginger seatbelts. Some with a rigid plastic sleeve over the front belt strap and some without the plastic sleeve. I never seen any coloration for a code on the buildsheet for ones with or without. I see by the serial number in your VIN that you car was built very late in the model year and your trim code looks like it is "AF" for Standard Ginger interior, so it is possible that Ford was out of Ginger seatbelts and switched to black to finish out the production year. They have done things like that in the past.

Edit: Looking at the Ford parts manuals  for 1972 and 1973, The Front belt assembly part numbers are different for each year, therefore it is possible they ran out of Ginger belts for your interior type, color and body style, OR as you can see from the part number list you have extra length seat belts which only came in Black.

Also, Since cougars with were built on the same assembly line using essentially the same unibody, some cougars parts were used since they were interchangeable. So the rigid seat belt sleeve could have been used in the more luxurious Cougar, but again because of low inventory they were thrown into Mustangs in late in the production year. I found that Mustangs with the automatic seatback release actuator, part of the Convenience Group option use the same under seat wire harness as the cougar, so the harness has a plug for power seats, although power seats were only a n option in a cougar and never an option in the mustang.

1972 Front Belts.png

1973 Front Belts.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,
Thanks for the info. Most appreciated.

My car is a fairly basic Mach 1.

It came with:

07/72 July, 1972
Colour - Body - 63R - Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof
Paint - 6F  - Gold Glow Metallic Paint, Ford #5079-A
Trim - AF  - Ginger Vinyl Standard Bucket Seats
Trans - X  - FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission
Axle - 2 -  2.75 Conventional Rear Axle
DSO - 71 - Los Angeles DSO (District Sales Office)

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Body Side Tape Stripes
- California Emission System
- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires
- Power Steering
- Sport Deck Rear Seat
- AM Radio
- Tinted Glass
- Sports Wheel Covers
I'm writing a blog as I go along. Found here. - https://72mach1mustang.blogspot.com/

The belt specific thread is here - https://72mach1mustang.blogspot.com/2021/04/the-great-seat-belt-fact-finding-mission.html

I was fairly sure that the belts are black as the date codes on the belts seem to line up with mid 72. The driver lap belt and buckle have been replaced at some point as they have a 69 code on them and are slightly different and the retractor is different.

The back seats have the retractor inside the side panel.

The retractor on the front passenger side is the big one with the circular plastic disk covering the hole to access the bolt.

I suspected they should be back but wanted to check.

As I'm in Australia, all of the seat belts need to be replaced with Australian compliance belts, so need to order new ones and was figuring out if I should order ginger ones or black.. The sash belts look like they may have been ginger but it could be due to fading.

Again, thanks for your help.

At the end of the day, as you have to swap out the original(???) belts, put in what you want. If you like the ginger ones, go for it, likewise the black. I feel the black would be more serviceable. Your choice of course.

Geoff, Thanks for the info.

The Australian Design rules mandate a different belt type compared to the US ones. The US ones do not meet Australian rules.

Given my car has standard trim but the deluxe, I will stay with the general theme and stay with the basic spec and that means black belts.

The buckles I need to use are the modern type so will look better with black belts.

Geoff, Thanks for the info.

The Australian Design rules mandate a different belt type compared to the US ones. The US ones do not meet Australian rules.

Given my car has standard trim but the deluxe, I will stay with the general theme and stay with the basic spec and that means black belts.

The buckles I need to use are the modern type so will look better with black belts.
Good plan, man! That's what I would do also. Your car, your choice. Nothing that you can't change later if you want to.

Back