All components painted with Slop Grey

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been many pictures and discussion posted before, but here are a few of my 71. To list them, shock tower braces, grill vertical bracket(s), headlight bucket supports, hood latch bracket. 

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

There are some others  on mine. I need get better pics this is one owner not restored mustang. 

Center grill bracket, left and right radiator support to  headlight bucket, Square stamping under the  headlight,        Shock tower braces, front tag bracket, bracket from radiator support to fender valance on right and left. The bolt on       cap / cover under each front fender to cover the spring. The other finish under the hood is the iron phosphate.             Hood hinges, hood latch. shock tower caps, emergency brake and gas pedal are  all  iron phosphate.

There are some others  on mine. I need get better pics this is one owner not restored mustang. 

Center grill bracket, left and right radiator support to  headlight bucket, Square stamping under the  headlight,        Shock tower braces, front tag bracket, bracket from radiator support to fender valance on right and left. The bolt on       cap / cover under each front fender to cover the spring. The other finish under the hood is the iron phosphate.             Hood hinges, hood latch. shock tower caps, emergency brake and gas pedal are  all  iron phosphate.
 Good info there David. I forgot about the spring cover plates. My 71 car was in really good "original" condition when I got it and all the slop grey parts could easily be identified. All the parts I had, got repainted slop grey.

I disassembled a 73 coupe and a lot of these parts were very dark but not black. Is that the "dark" slop grey? Was there a difference in years or just luck of the draw. I only ask because I ended up with the dark slop grey because my parts looked that dark.

I disassembled a 73 coupe and a lot of these parts were very dark but not black. Is that the "dark" slop grey? Was there a difference in years or just luck of the draw. I only ask because I ended up with the dark slop grey because my parts looked that dark.
 Basically, "slop grey" was made from the "slops' left over, so apparently there could have been many shades of grey (not necessarily 50).

NPD use to sell a darker version along with the regular slop grey, but I believe it's been dropped. So I guess there could be darker grey on some cars/years. (I did say "guess") On my 71, the underside of the trunk was in pristine condition when I changed the tank and it looks almost blue/grey.

The local Dupont paint store here back in the day use to save all of their screwed up mixes. When he got several of the same type paint he would mix them together and would come out gray. He would sell the paint to farmers to paint equipment with. One reason Ford went to gray primer is that is covers easier than red oxide. In photography you have a 40% gray card that is used to meter and set your camera. Gray is the average between black and white. The shade of gray varied based on what was mixed in. Purging the paint lines, catching over spray is not an exact science.

Back