Alternative clock movement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is kind of dumb but I went through hell, 3 clock makers, reading rocketmans website info, exhaustive web searches, and hours of painting and polishing plastics and faces just to keep the original clock. Not because its going to be a concourse showcar or anything but for one simple memory. When you're sitting at a stoplight, and the engine is purring just enough to hear, that's when you hear the tick of the clock, the movement, the moment before you can if you wish, light it up like a friggin roman candle and scream off the line. Theres something about that little tick in that few seconds that's just special, and truly only in a muscle car.

I have finally settled on what & how I am going to build these things.

Looking stock has always been one of my main concerns when updating something so I will use the OEM hour & minute hands and the chrome center piece from the second hand. Unfortunately I cannot incorporate a second hand. If someone wants a second hand on a modernized movement they will have to send it to ISI for a quartz conversion.

The aftermarket illuminated hands I had shown in an earlier post will not be an option.

The set knob will still set the time, but electrically. It has two modes: Slow (30 seconds forward) and Fast sweep. There is no reverse. I will include instructions with the converted clock, I just haven't written them yet.

Lighting, installation and wiring are all factory - no changes necessary.

I do require a complete core, though. Lens condition does not matter - I can replace that if desired - but the connector, set mechanism, hands and dial all have to be there.

I do have some cores here but I need to come up with a core charge that will get people to send their old clock back for the core refund. Any suggestions on what a reasonable core charge would be?

I am planning to sell these for the same price as my Borg quartz conversions = $125.00. Of course they will have the RCCI lifetime warranty.

As an intro I will offer a special price to those 'on the list'.

Luxstang

Jay (clevelandcoupe)

Eric

JohnJ

jeremycfr

AOCUSNRET

If you're still interested in getting one or want more info PM me.

I think whatever you charge for your other core charges would be just fine.

Come to think of it, I think I still owe you a tach/speedo cluster, and the clock from my clock/speedo cluster as well.

UPDATE:

I have had the proto running for quite a while. I did a 'final' assembly of all the parts and let it sit on the bench running for three weeks. It kept perfect time, no issues at all. During that time I found a suitable chrome center piece so it looks more like an original clock.

After installing the center cap and reassembling everything I went to set the time. This clock is electronic and is set electronically, not through the gear set up it originally came with. Well, as it turns out after 3+ weeks of not working on the clock I had forgotten HOW to set the clock and when I did go by the instructions I had written I found the procedure rather confusing and frustrating. So I came up with an alternative. Unfortunately the parts I need are back-ordered and will be here sometime in August.

Any time someone comes up with new innovations, it's a process and there are bound to be hiccups.  Thanks for taking this on... I'm a huge fan of your work - my RCCI Clock/Tach conversion is simply awesome, and I'm looking forward to getting one of your clocks for the center console. ::thumb::

Hi Nat,

The 67/68 Cougar clocks have a Borg movement so it can be converted to quartz. This conversion is for clocks with GT (General Time) movements that cannot be converted to quartz. Down the road I might offer these for Borg clocks as well, but right now I am just working on coming up with a GT conversion.

Another update, another set back....

The switch I was waiting for and thought would work is a bust. At this point I think I will go with my original thought when I started this project.

I will replace the set knob/shaft with a sub miniature push button. This button will set the time. A third wire will need to be connected to a power source. I think tapping into the lighting would be best, but it can be done through a separate switch if you prefer.

To set the time:

Turn on the lights (or switch on alternative power source).

Wait 5 seconds.

Push and hold the button that replaced the set stem/knob. The minute hand will start moving.

Holding the button will make the clock move forward at high speed. Pushing & releasing the button will make the minute hand move forward 30 seconds each time.

When done, release the button for 5 seconds, turn off lights or alternative power source if not needed.

Thoughts?

The push and hold solution is ok. There are several other clocks that work the same way. The switch and wait for 5 seconds is a bit fidgety but once you get used to it I guess it’ll be ok. I mean you don’t do that twice a week anyway, so.....

The push and hold solution is ok. There are several other clocks that work the same way. The switch and wait for 5 seconds is a bit fidgety but once you get used to it I guess it’ll be ok. I mean you don’t do that twice a week anyway, so.....
Yeah, I hate having to add another switch - that's why I figured tapping into the dash light circuit to activate set mode would be easiest. Turn on lights, press button...

In my opinion you should have started a new thread in our introduction section instead of hi-jacking another member's thread (who is also a site advertisers and supporter).

In my opinion you should have started a new thread in our introduction section instead of hi-jacking another member's thread (who is also a site advertisers and supporter).
I wasn't trying to hijack anyone's thread.  One of this site's members linked to my product listing on another site and I was trying to be responsive to it.  

If people don't want information then feel free to remove my post (I just joined for this one purpose) and take down the link to my product listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back