Alternative clock movement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that the redesigned tachometer movements are 99.9% ready for production I have had some time to work on the clocks. Sometimes it's best to walk away and approach it cold.

Barring any unseen problems I 'believe' this is it:

* Since it is a digital clock it is very accurate. The motor only moves 2 times a minute rather than the constantly running motor of a quartz clock so the running clock pulls less than 1A (actually it is a constant 0.02A) @ 12.5 VDC so battery drain is negligible.

* I will re-use the entire clock except for the second hand so the clock will look stock, less the second hand.  If a core is missing the second hand it's no problem as I have a stock looking chrome center cap I install.

* The clock will bolt in and connect electrically just like an original clock and use the OEM illumination. Nothing to add or modify from stock.

* The original set stem and knob will be used when available. Cores without a set stem will get a small push button where the stem would be.

* To set the clock, pull out on the set stem and hold for 4 seconds.  This will activate the set mode.

Release the stem, then pull out again. The minute hand will advance 30 seconds. Release and pull out, release and pull out will move the minute hand 30 seconds each time.

Holding the set stem out continuously will advance the time at roughly 1 hour every 3 seconds.  

Release the stem for 4-5 seconds and the clock will exit set mode.

That's it. I hope to have a video showing the clock and how to set it soon.

Now that the redesigned tachometer movements are 99.9% ready for production I have had some time to work on the clocks. Sometimes it's best to walk away and approach it cold.

Barring any unseen problems I 'believe' this is it:

* Since it is a digital clock it is very accurate. The motor only moves 2 times a minute rather than the constantly running motor of a quartz clock so the running clock pulls less than 1A (actually it is a constant 0.02A) @ 12.5 VDC so battery drain is negligible.

* I will re-use the entire clock except for the second hand so the clock will look stock, less the second hand.  If a core is missing the second hand it's no problem as I have a stock looking chrome center cap I install.

* The clock will bolt in and connect electrically just like an original clock and use the OEM illumination. Nothing to add or modify from stock.

* The original set stem and knob will be used when available. Cores without a set stem will get a small push button where the stem would be.

* To set the clock, pull out on the set stem and hold for 4 seconds.  This will activate the set mode.

Release the stem, then pull out again. The minute hand will advance 30 seconds. Release and pull out, release and pull out will move the minute hand 30 seconds each time.

Holding the set stem out continuously will advance the time at roughly 1 hour every 3 seconds.  

Release the stem for 4-5 seconds and the clock will exit set mode.

That's it. I hope to have a video showing the clock and how to set it soon.

Sounds awesome! What did you do to the tach ? I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds awesome! What did you do to the tach ? I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, long story short = Product designer and long time supplier bought by sub par supplier, customer (me) unhappy with product, supplier will not correct issues, buyer goes elsewhere and uses opportunity to have new product completely redesigned with modern components and built-in features.

You can read more on my website https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=devnews in the Tachometers section.

This link is to a 36 sec video showing how to set the time on the converted clock:

http://www.rccinnovations.com/Temp/M7123DC-proto.mp4

Excuse the quality - it was shot by All By Myself Cellphone Productions.

So, there you have it. This particular clock is my proto-type so it's kind of ugly with an old lens but you can see that it looks stock.

It bolts in just like an original and uses the same connector. Nothing to do but plug it in and set the time.

I will be sending the first one to Mister 4x4 next week for him to evaluate.  Hopefully he will share his thoughts here and everyone can decide if they want in on the initial build.  

Last time I sent one into ISI for quartz conversion it was about $175.00 with shipping & insurance to them, the conversion and shipping back. And they only give a 1 year warranty. I am figuring I will do an intro to you guys on the list of $100 shipped in the lower 48  and $110 to my friends overseas.

If you need a core I do have some, I just haven't figured out what to charge for them. Anyone seen any for sale that can give a 'going price'?

Thanks Bob - I can't wait!  ::thumb::

And I promise I'll get right to it, unlike my Edelbrock fuel injection STILL waiting to get installed, after just 3 years.  :whistling:

Thanks Bob - I can't wait!  ::thumb::

And I promise I'll get right to it, unlike my Edelbrock fuel injection STILL waiting to get installed, after just 3 years.  :whistling:
I know where you live.... :D

https://www.rccinnovations.com/Images/Clocks/M7123DC.jpg[/img]

That's the clock I am sending you.

SWEET!  ::thumb::

My core actually looks really nice, just doesn't work.

Got the new clock today - looks awesome and the instructions seem simple enough.

I'll give it a shot this weekend, and make sure to post pics as well.

Thanks again!

You will be able to buy a complete clock from me or send in your clock for conversion. When I have cores available I will offer them as complete units and refund the core charge when you send back your clock.

I sent out two converted clocks in December and have received no feedback. The prototypes I have running here have been fine, so I am going with the old 'no news is good news' rule and opening up sales.

You can order one through my website: https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-services#clocks and scroll down to M7123DC Clock Conversion - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury OEM GT movements 1969-1973.

It will charge full price, but I will refund $30 to to the folks that requested one here so it will be $95.00 plus shipping:  https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=ordering#shipping.

I am not offering any without a core yet, but will be soon so if you want one w/o sending in your clock I will still honor the $30 off for list here when that option is available.

Bob - my most sincere apologies on the 'no feedback.'  Between the [cold] weather, health issues, and seasonal band commitments during the weekends, I haven't had much luck making time to get it installed.

I'll do my best to work on it this coming Sunday.

Bob - my most sincere apologies on the 'no feedback.'  Between the [cold] weather, health issues, and seasonal band commitments during the weekends, I haven't had much luck making time to get it installed.

No worries - I knew back then that you had commitments and wouldn't be installing it until spring, I have sent out others since yours. Sorry to hear you're having health issues. If it was mentioned online I missed it - the new tach movement design has been seriously cutting into mt forum time.

Get better, warm up, don't worry about the clock.

No worries - I knew back then that you had commitments and wouldn't be installing it until spring,  I have sent out others since yours. Sorry to hear you're having health issues. If it was mentioned online I missed it - the new tach movement design has been seriously cutting into mt forum time.

Get better, warm up, don't worry about the clock.
Not as much actual 'health issues,' as much as I had a touch of the winter crud (probably mild bronchitis and such) shortly before Christmas - all good now.  I think Sunday is this weekend's best shot at being a nice day, and I need to do this anyway, since I need to get that core back to you as well.  Thanks again for your patience.

Back