Alternator Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicknRick

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
I have a question on where to connect the black alternator cable, to the starter solenoid or the isolation post? I have a tachometer with aftermarket 3 gauges, with voltmeter.

Black lead from alternator goes to isolation post, where it mates with the thick wire from the headlight harness without the fusible link.

Black lead from alternator goes to isolation post, where it mates with the thick wire from the headlight harness without the fusible link.
My headlight harness doesn't have a thick black wire. Does the black wire from the alternator have still have to connect to the isolation block?

My headlight harness doesn't have a thick black wire. Does the black wire from the alternator have still have to connect to the isolation block?
Let's suppose it does.  What would also be there?   Hmmm? I'll bet your headlight harness is for a standard dash.  It'll work, but your ammeter gauges will have no signals and for everything to work, the alternator cable, starter cable, and fusible link from the headlight all have to go onto the starter solenoid, with no isolation post.

In that case, you'll need to connect everything to the starter solenoid.

Back