AM 8 Track Radio

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I bought my car restored. One change someone made was putting in a AM-FM (correct for 71 Mustang) radio. However, it was not what mine came with. I was given the original AM 8-Track radio but it is bad. Had it tested and it's DOA!

Looking to buy a very clean working AM 8-Track radio to make my car factory correct.

Anyone have a very clean one for sale?

K

Kit Sullivan

Yours can be refurb'd to look and work like new. I think there may also be an option to modern electronic guts in the radio tuner so it has better reception while maintaining an original look and functionality.

Try: www.barrys8trackrepair.com

Last edited:

imusa76

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
Yours can be refurb'd to look and work like new. I think there may also be an option to modern electronic guts in the radio tuner so it has better reception while maintaining an original look and functionality.

+1

also check E-bay, you can find date correct 8-track on there, just ask the seller for the Part number if its not posted.

K

Kit Sullivan

You may feel better putting the actual radio your car came with back instead of a date-coded "correct" unit.

To me its just somehow better when I know it came with the actual unit. Since you do have the actual unit it is a good opportunity to maintain just a bit more originality.

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold

I will check into that and see about a repair. Will also have to look at date code to be sure it fits my car build date period. Thanks, I hope it can be repaired!

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
image.jpg

This is the part number for the radio that was in a box in the trunk. The part number does not appear to match whT I found on the 429 Megasite. I am thinking that this might not pe a correct radio for my car now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Mike - if it looks right - then I condider it 'period correct' but not the actual orignal piece.

= Close enough as far as I am concerned! I don't think hard core concourse judges would take off for that!

I do like the refurb that Kit mentioned. You end up with a better item that looks perfect!!!

Please let us know what you decide and the results.

Ray

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
image.jpg

This is a photo of the front. I thought it was supposed to say Mustang on the 8 track door?

image.jpg

Anyone able to decode this? My car was built 9/25/1970.

rpmcarter

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach I
351c 2v
highly optioned

67 Mustang Convertible
1 of 35 Diamond Blue
Survivor
I found one in Splendora and paid 25.00 for it. I'm going to have mine reconditioned.

asusnz

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 351C 2V FMX
Any recommendation/suggestions on somebody who can repair 71-73 Mustang radios? I have a "dead" radio that I bet the right person could get going again. I am using a Retrosound radio in place of the original though have kept that in a box for storage.

Regards, Kerry...

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
Any recommendation/suggestions on somebody who can repair 71-73 Mustang radios? I have a "dead" radio that I bet the right person could get going again. I am using a Retrosound radio in place of the original though have kept that in a box for storage.

Regards, Kerry...
Yes,

Google Berrys 8 Track Radio repair. I think that is where I am going to send mine. He charges a flat rate. Mine will cost $395.00 to fix. Check him out.

71steed

Reaction score
My Car
66 GT coupe
67 GTA convertible
69 Fastback, Boss 429 clone
69 GT coupe
71 Sports coupe
71 Mach 1
73 Mach 1
I had two 71 am/fm's restored by this man. Good job and good price. Under $200.

His name is Joe Scott. He is in South Carolina. His telephone is 864-647-9924.

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
I had two 71 am/fm's restored by this man. Good job and good price. Under $200.

His name is Joe Scott. He is in South Carolina. His telephone is 864-647-9924.
Does he have a website to check out?

71steed

Reaction score
My Car
66 GT coupe
67 GTA convertible
69 Fastback, Boss 429 clone
69 GT coupe
71 Sports coupe
71 Mach 1
73 Mach 1
Call him. He is a very nice guy that works from home with his wife. Paul from Classic Mustang uses him for all his radio renovations and he has done a handful for me. He's not big into computing so I doubt he has a site.

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
Call him. He is a very nice guy that works from home with his wife. Paul from Classic Mustang uses him for all his radio renovations and he has done a handful for me. He's not big into computing so I doubt he has a site.
OK,

I will give him a call. Thanks!

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
Welli I sent my radio to Joe Scott for repair. He sent me email to tell me the radio is not a Mustang radio but rather a radio for a Ford Galaxy.

I had always thought the 8-Track door should have had the word "Mustang" on it. I really don't want to put an incorrect radio in the car. I am now waiting to hear from Joe to see if he might have a correct radio for my car.

If not I will likely be on the hunt for one. I have continued to check eBay and have not seen a single one that would be correct. Any other ideas in case Joe does not have one?

c9zx

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Keep searching with this PN D1ZA-19A242. Contact every classic radio restoration shop you can find. You might try Ad Hunt'r as well. Chuck

boss1ncj

Reaction score
My Car
Boss
Welli I sent my radio to Joe Scott for repair. He sent me email to tell me the radio is not a Mustang radio but rather a radio for a Ford Galaxy.

I had always thought the 8-Track door should have had the word "Mustang" on it. I really don't want to put an incorrect radio in the car. I am now waiting to hear from Joe to see if he might have a correct radio for my car.

If not I will likely be on the hunt for one. I have continued to check eBay and have not seen a single one that would be correct. Any other ideas in case Joe does not have one?
Mike, new member here, but long time Boss owner. I have guaranteed working radios in all three versions for '71 Mustang's. Please call me or email for full details/pics/pricing.

Bruce Klier

Tucson, AZ

520-531-1275

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Car

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold

Mike, new member here, but long time Boss owner. I have guaranteed working radios in all three versions for '71 Mustang's. Please call me or email for full details/pics/pricing.

Bruce Klier

Tucson, AZ

520-531-1275

[email protected]
Bruce,

Thanks for the offer but I am buying a radio from Scott. He should be shipping it to me soon. Looking forward to getting it in my car.