am/fm radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking for a factory am /fm radio to fit in my 73. what other years and models will fit
I think I have a 73 Ford am/fm stereo. Noty sure if it works, though. I can check it if you are interested.

yea if you dont mind. do you have a good pic of it

I will dig it out today/tomorrow.

Good news! I found it.

I haven't tested it, but I can prove it exists.

The part number is: D3ZA 19A241 125

Plus some others: 3FBZ.  AE

There is another number: 051073

I don't know if that is a date code or not.

Wires in the back been cut and some spliced. I don't if the plugs are correct or not.

Pics attached.

0327211343.jpg

0327211342a.jpg

0327211343a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to take so long to get back, just forgot about it. how much $

hey-

That's okay. I haven't had time to confirm it works. Easter consumed last weekend. I'll get to that this weekend.

I'm not sure on price. It is clean and according to Mustangtek, that is the correct number for a 73 Mustang am/fm. 

If it works..$150? I'll include shipping. 

If it doesn't work, well, it still looks right and has the right number on it. $75?

Okay-

I tried testing it. It didn't do anything. I am assuming I connected things up right, but I got no lights and no static. Maybe a fuse, maybe I did it wrong, maybe the spliced wires are not done well

I will sell it as a non-working radio that needs repair, but looks nice. If it does not fit your needs I'll flog it on ebay.

I was wrong about Mustangtek, it was this site that shows that part number for a Mustang. It has a pic of a D2ZA that looks identical, but also lists the exact same part number as mine for a 73.  I am assuming this is not a case of Ford having a part number on the item and a completely different part number for the application.

https://sites.google.com/site/identifyingcarradios/home/radios-1/ford-2

I added info to this thread mentioned and linked to earlier by BOSS1Ray:

Hi there!

In my car you don’t know if it’s the wiring that is broke or if it is the devices, radio, clock etc. cause of the PO:s wiring redo. My radio doesn’t seem to work, took it out 2 years ago when I started to fix my car and I remember that it didn’t work. Some of the wiring in my car is made by some PO that wasn’t an expert on this and im not done with fixing it. Is there somehow I can test if the radio is working when its out from the car?

So any tips how to check if my original radio is working?

1618204868234.jpg

1618204868249.jpg

On the two wire plug, I believe the light blue/red wire is 12v in. The other wire is ground I think. Hook them up and you should get the faceplate to light up when you turn the radio on.

If you hook up a speaker to the white/light green (+) and the black wire (-) in the three wire plug, you should get some noise out of the speaker.

Hook up an antenna and spin the dial and see what you get.

The two wire plug is 12 volt switched power when the ignition is on and also on when the key is turned to accessory.  The other wire is for the radio bezel light which has power only when the head light switch is on.  Ground is via the bracket on the back of the radio as well as via the radio chassis mounted to the metal face plate mounted to the metal dash.    

The white with purple stripe wire is the switched 12 volt power wire, the light blue with red stripe wire is for illumination.

That's the two wires in the two wire connector, right?  The wires on mine are so discolored it's hard to tell.  I'll have to try again.

Trust Don over me.

Got the illumination to work. Connected + from battery to ligthblue with red stripe and connected a wire between bracket and - on battery.

Dont have a speaker so i guess that gives a little hope that the radio works!?

Thanks

You probably have some earphones or headphones, connect a jumper from the black/white hash wire to the longest part of the jack, and the white/light green or orange/light green wire to the end terminal on the jack, if the radio works you should be able to hear static in the left earphone. If you hear static stick a piece of wire, about 18" long into the antenna jack socket and see if you can tune in an AM station.

Got the illumination to work. Connected + from battery to ligthblue with red stripe and connected a wire between bracket and - on battery.

Dont have a speaker so i guess that gives a little hope that the radio works!?

Thanks
According to Don and Doug, if I get this right, both wires in the two wire connector get 12v from battery. The light blue/red is solely for the illumination light, the other is for the radio itself? Ground/negative is from the bracket to battery negative. So without power to the other wire, the radio does not operate.

Gives me hope, maybe mine does work.

That's correct, the two wire connector, one for illumination (light blue/red) and the other (white/purple) for power to the radio, grounded through the bracket/radio chassis.

Okay, finally an update...

I connected everything per Don and Doug and I was rewarded with the green illumination light and a hum from a speaker. Always listen to people who know more than you do...

I could adjust the volume and faintly hear voices as I twirled the tuning knob. The yellow/orange light would also illuminate when it seemed to find a signal. 

I don't have an antenna handy, so I used a piece of ridgid wire about 18" long. Not the best, but I got something.

So far, it does seem to work.

Back