American Autowire Classic Update Kit - 1971-73 Ford Mustang

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

MikeGriese

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
For $1100 I would want something that is concours correct, but it's a good alternative for cars that don't have a harness.

Hemikiller

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
No kidding, and the single best upgrade - relays for the headlamps, is not incorporated. Boo hiss.....

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

I would love to rip the guts out of my stang and upgrade all the wiring, but damn, that's a crap ton of work. Maybe one day when its all blown apart to paint I will get to that. It would be great to have some modern fuses and wiring.

CobraJet351

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351cj, toploader, 3.5 gears, all factory options.
I actually have this kit. My car is completely stripped for a restoration and this option is much cheaper and easier than getting someone to make one up.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
I have no comment.

Actually, I do, but I'll keep quiet.

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I actually have this kit. My car is completely stripped for a restoration and this option is much cheaper and easier than getting someone to make one up.
You should have sent your harnesses to Midlife, a forum supporter and advertiser, for refurbishing. All circuits would then be easily traceable with the original circuit diagrams.

CobraJet351

Reaction score
My Car
I messaged Midlife a while back and this turned out to be a better option. Keep in mind that I’m in Australia so that creates another issue.

This kit was the easiest option for me personally. I can easily install it myself. I don’t know how it is in America, but over here good auto electricians and insanely expensive. Getting one made up would cost a small fortune, more than twice what this kit is worth. It works for me but I can’t speak for everyone though.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
I messaged Midlife a while back and this turned out to be a better option. Keep in mind that I’m in Australia so that creates another issue.

This kit was the easiest option for me personally. I can easily install it myself. I don’t know how it is in America, but over here good auto electricians and insanely expensive. Getting one made up would cost a small fortune, more than twice what this kit is worth. It works for me but I can’t speak for everyone though.
Did you actually install this already? Any comments on the quality? Are the wire colors correct?

I'm going to replace mine eventually as well and though I recognise Midlife's good reputation this is certainly another option.

CobraJet351

Reaction score
My Car
I have not installed it yet, still a while away from that. But it seems idiot proof. Everything is very clearly labelled and seems high quality. Not sure on the wire colours as I don’t know the original colours. Your best bet is to contact them directly.