an "old" roadster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a low rust/lots of dents '71 sportsroof.
I received a request for more info about the old roadster I’m building so here’s the scoop on it. I don’t call it a ’32 because although it’s real steel it’s not original. The same goes for the frame rails. Maybe I spent too much time in my working roles as an engineer with a lot of years involved contracts but my eye roll back when people leave out the terms replica, tribute or clone when they refer to their stuff that is not original. I’m also building a Factory Five roadster but I try not to call it a Cobra. I’m fortunate have the owner of THE CALIFORNIA KID as a friend. I’d feel like a jerk calling my car a ’32 when he mentions his ’34 (or any of his other cool stuff). Enough of replica etiquette here's the build.

I started with a pair of reproduction frame rails and front cross member. Using up to three digital protractors simultaneously it was pretty easy to set it up and get it reasonably square. The initial welds were like those in body work, quick and small to minimize shifting. Once some of the added bracing was in it was OK to speed up the welding. The worst diagonal measurements come in at within 1/8” of being equal. Someone who builds chassis using a jig told that his stuff is basically perfect because of the jig. I asked what is it once his frames are pulled out of the jig, “I assume it must be the same”. Maybe they are and maybe they aren’t. I’m pleased with my results. I still need to add more stiffeners and then box the main rails but it’s good enough to move on to other details.

Front suspension is standard Pete and Jakes chromed Super Bell I beam with a 4” drop and polished Wilwoods. I used basic three link principles out back with a nine inch and more Wilwood stuff.

From three separate frame rails to where it is now took about 80 hours. It was the first chassis I built from bare rails so I wasn’t too concerned with time. A second set of hands would have save a bunch of time. I used a cherry picker to get the body on and off but the balance was not good so that went slower than it should have.

When I stared the project I planned to use a 406 sbc with about 500 HP and a TKO 600. That engine has since gone into a Camaro and I came across a standard bore 428 SCJ with over the counter Ford high compression pistons and a tunnel wedge. The shear beauty of that piece has me rethinking the sbc plans but the ease of packaging the chebbie is temping. We’ll see.

The larger than life guy hanging out with the roller is my late friend Norm. He was a legend in the hot rod community and the push behind building this. “YOU NEED A “32” was something I heard a lot, followed by “so we can go drinking in it.” I missed his deadline but did take him out for drinks (and food) on too many occasions to count. We all miss you Norm! It will feel like you’re with whenever this car is on the road.

IMGP0111.jpg

IMGP0112.jpg

IMGP0114.jpg

IMGP0121.jpg

IMGP1001.jpg

IMGP1572.jpg

IMGP1581.jpg

IMGP1595.jpg

IMGP1627.jpg

IMGP1668.jpg

IMGP1669.jpg

IMGP2603.jpg

DSCN9074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Cool. I think you could write a story on most of the cars in your shed from the looks of things. Diggin the paint on the yellow vette too

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke, you and I like a lot of the same stuff from the pre-disco days. Not many people like custom Vettes anymore. I painted the Vette in '76 and had it as my only runnig car quite a bit in the 70s. It ran 13.33 @ 108.8 with the daily driver build I did on it in '76. That was pretty good for a everyday car back then. I've been gather in parts to put together a 496. I'd like to go back to BB and tinker with the Tri Power again. It has all it's original body panels and I've owned it since '75. I bought it from a model who moved from LA to Chicago and needed money when her income dropped. The STi belongs to the BOSS as does the ex-Bobby Archer Viper. You can just see a bit of her ZX7 R in that shot too. I like just about anything with wheels. The idea of picking up the Bug I bought yesterday is almost as big a thrill as when I picked up any of the cars with much higher power and values. Maybe the lower cash output adds to the fun factor:D

Well that is because you have great taste and so does your wife obviously. Every vette you have posted a pic of I would own and drive right now. I love fade away paint and flames and the whole vibe you got going on with your cars from the gasser stang right through to the Cobra kit all have a hardcore edge with some oldschool style. :cool:

PS,The roadster with that 428 and 4 speed would just be so badass

Very cool cars and lots of them. If you decide not to use the FE contact me. If not, tell me how I can learn to "run across" 428s and tunnel wedge setups. I want to build another FE. My vote is be different, put a Ford engine in your 32 Ford. Great build. Chuck

Hmmmm. NICE

I asked someone>>>

gypsy-fortune-teller.jpg

She said the FE 428 2x4 motor was the way to go! She did say if you were WISE, you would heed her advice.

that cost me an extra $50! :)

SBC = duh factor

BBF (FE) = Big-time WOW factor and should help car to command more value.

Ray

There’s a story behind the SCJ. I’ve known about this engine for over 30 years. It was it was in a street strip car and always presented as a 427. IIRC it was running 11s in a full size ’66 Ford. The car was sold and th FE sat in a friend’s garage for many years. He lives almost 800 miles away so I never saw the engine outside of a vehicle. For about five years I’ve been trying to buy this “low mile 427”. Last year he said it was time to sell it. “There is no doubt that it’s a cross bolted 427, right?” “RIGHT. Quit worrying!”

I enlisted another friend to bring it down. The day we agreed on the deal my wife who understands the significance of an FE 427 gave me the go ahead to pick up a ’69 Fastback that would be the recipient of this 600HP 427. I’d had my eye on a rough but solid ’69 Sportsroof for about six months but had been on the fence about it. WOO HOO a 427 and a ’69 to put it in!!! Three seconds after my friend pulled up you could hear me miles away, “WHERE ARE THE CROSS BOLTS?!?!?!” I had the engine apart in a few minutes. It’s no 427 but I figure it’s the next best FE I could have ended up with. The price was adjusted down by about a third. As disappointed as I was by the added cubic inch I was very pleased to see it really has almost no time on it. Taper in the walls is less than a thousandths.

screamingyellowzonker.jpg

DSCN9098.jpg

DSCN9102.jpg

DSCN9117.jpg

DSCN9120.jpg

VERY cool as 428 SCJ. Hard to understand how PO didn't know it was an SCJ. Well, if you happen to find another CJ/SCJ/406/427/428 PLEASE let me know.

PS

A wife that understands the significance of a Ford 427 is priceless. You are a lucky man in many ways.

Chuck

A wife that understands the significance of a Ford 427 is priceless. You are a lucky man in many ways.

Chuck
I could never forget it. She does remind me of how lucky I am to have her every once in a while:dodgy::heart:

Back