And we think we have it rough.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

I got this emailed to me today.  Puts a different perspective on what we are going through right now.

“For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish. At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.

Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this.” In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass.

Great perspective on what we are in. I wonder will be have a baby boom from this? I was one of those that never tossed anything there was always a second use for everything. 

Hope it dies off before I do.
 Good question about the baby boom. Never though about it but you maybe right.  We will see in nine months. I'm like you and have a tendency to hold onto things.  Got it from my parents who grew up during the rough years of the depression and WWII.

Baby boom, or possibly a divorce boom from being stuck in the house together too long!

Yes, there will be a baby boom...in a decade and a half they will be known as the 'QuaranTeens'...not my joke, but still good.

On a 'perspective' related note...as a selfaware species we have a tendency to think that old things have been around for a long time. Like, you know, a Model T...that's ANCIENT! Before hydraulic brakes!

But, I feel like I'm on the younger side of things compared to many on this forum having gone to high school after what most would consider to be the 70's, I missed any real involvement in the muscle era, they were just used cars.

My grandfather was born in 1915 and past in 2017. I grew up in St. Louis in an urban area, not suburban. One hour walk to downtown (The Arch). Except for one building, all the schools I went to were brick filled with oak woodwork, chicken wire security glass and oak or cork floors. Oh, yeah, and no air conditioning. Old stuff.

On to my point...probably more than 80% of this entire metropolitan area was built within my grandfathers lifetime. 50-60% within my dads. And I'm at halfway thru my grandfathers lifespan...50 years to go.

Geez, I don't know, how about our generation?

If you were born in the late 60's early 70's, you lived through the Vietnam War, the Gas Crisis, Watergate, 70's recession, "duck n cover" ,Hostage Crisis, early 80's recession, S&L crisis, early 90's recession, DotCom bust, 9/11, Desert Storm i & II and it's accompanying never ending wars, the Great Recession and now Covid19.

Oy

Every generation has it's burdens.

If you were born in the late 60's early 70's, you lived through the Vietnam War, the Gas Crisis, Watergate, 70's recession, "duck n cover" ,Hostage Crisis, early 80's recession, S&L crisis, early 90's recession, DotCom bust, 9/11, Desert Storm i & II and it's accompanying never ending wars, the Great Recession and now Covid19.

Oy

"duck n cover"   wait a minute ... you telling me somethings wrong with duck n cover :mad:

Oy

"duck n cover"   wait a minute ... you telling me somethings wrong with duck n cover :mad:

I'll never forget when I first understood the power of a nuclear blast, then the next day we had a drill and jumped under our desks in our classroom, that faced the playground, and the exterior wall was probably 80% plate glass windows. 

Yeah.

Growing up in CT with all the defense industries here, we knew we'd be the first ones to go if the ICBMs ever took flight.

Back