Another Dead Starter- Not the Starter After all

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank Paul!

It sucks because it is finally nice outside for car rides. Not too hot, and dry clean streets. Yet my car is in my yard with a cover on it.

Oh yea, just found a nice rip in this car custom cover that cost me over $400. I cant even remember what site I bought it from to replace it. :(

Hey all!!

I think I have great news!

I put the car in neutral and went to crank it over. Car cranked over and came to life this morning.

SO, problem is most likely the neutral safety switch on the tranny right? Fairly easy to replace so long as you can get the car jacked up high enough right?

I remember rebuilding the transmission, and I think we used the old part. I should have just put a new one on right there and then.

Thank you so much guys. You all have so much information about these cars its crazy.

Edit: They are pretty expensive aren't they? Before I replace it, if my car only starts in neutral and not park, that does mean it is the neutral safety that is malfunctioning, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great Elizabeth73! It sounds like you may just have to adjust it to the correct position. If the NSS was bad, your car wouldn't turn over. With an auto transmission, it should start in either park or neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I went outside and went to turn the car on in park. It worked.

You know how the steering column has a "rotating" piece of metal that can turn a little to the left and right? When I turn it all the way to the left my shifter moves forward a bit and I can start the car in park.

So it just seems like my linkage just needs adjustment. Or I can keep it this way for an anti-theft device. Who would think to move parts of a steering column to start the car in park? lol. No, I will fix it.

Next is to rebuild the carb. I do this every year after winter, but haven't gotten around to it yet with college in the way.

I graduate in two weeks! Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. Very excited. More time for my car. I can finally be more active on this site as well. Usually, I don't come on in the winter because it tortures me to see people driving their cars in beautiful weather. Meanwhile, it is snowing where I am. ;)

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation with your Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I know it's a time you probably thought would never get here.

Glad you got your starting problems sorted out. At least you know now that there are smaller starter options out there. Your original post about the large heavy starter reminded me of lying on my back while trying to wrestle a cinder block heavy starter in place with headers. The Ford numbers I gave in the earlier post are numbers that can be crossed to other manufactures numbers. I believe O'Reilly Auto Parts‎ carries Motorcraft, which has a 2year unlimited mileage warranty.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation with your Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. I know it's a time you probably thought would never get here.

Glad you got your starting problems sorted out. At least you know now that there are smaller starter options out there. Your original post about the large heavy starter reminded me of lying on my back while trying to wrestle a cinder block heavy starter in place with headers. The Ford numbers I gave in the earlier post are numbers that can be crossed to other manufactures numbers. I believe O'Reilly Auto Parts‎ carries Motorcraft, which has a 2year unlimited mileage warranty.
Hey, your information was great. This starter is super heavy. The first time I held one from this car I was in disbelief of how heavy it was.

I think Ill pick up a new starter sometime this season. As of right now, I think I am going to focus on why my car takes forever to actually get going.

It is a fuel problem, and I think the rebuild of the carb will fix it right away. I just got back from the parts store with a kit. Now I just need some more free time.

My Acura is going in the shop soon because my catalytic converter bolts rusted out and it is no longer attached to the exhaust pipe. Sometimes I hate having two cars to worry about. Lol!

Your probably too young to remember the I love Lucy episode where she is working on the candy line that they are continually speeding up. Reminds of trying to keep up with your "Fleet" as something is always looking for attention and your $$. If your Acura is out of emissions warranty, just be glad all you need are bolts. You don't won't to know what catalytic converters cost!! If still in warranty, "No Worries"! Lol

So it just seems like my linkage just needs adjustment. Or I can keep it this way for an anti-theft device. Who would think to move parts of a steering column to start the car in park? lol. No, I will fix it.
:goodone:

That'll make the crooks scratch their heads.

It sounds like the nuts under the turn signal plate may be a little loose.

:goodone:

That'll make the crooks scratch their heads.

It sounds like the nuts under the turn signal plate may be a little loose.
Nuts under the turn signal plate? That must be the metal part of the steering column I am looking at. Let me go see right now. Just got done moving the car and giving it a nice soapy wash. Also took off the front lic plate. I need it in my state but I see so many people that drive without one. Lets see how lucky I am. (btw, I am not a law breaker haha, this is probably the first thing I did illegally on purpose. I swear, Im a good kid ;) )

Back