Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
The starter on my 1969 Cougar decided to go bad sitting in the driveway. Searched over a dozen parts stores near me. I finally found one for a standard shift about 10 miles away. I got out the jack stands and floor jack, something I am loath to do these days, and installed the new starter. Still no crank. Back to the store. It tests bad, trying to draw 220 Amps. No other starter until Monday. So the car sits jacked up until then. A similar thing happen 6 months ago with an alternator for a 2017 Mustang. Two new but bad fuel sending units for the Cougar two years ago. That doesn't include the junk reproduction parts that seem to have doubled in price. It seems to be getting much worse with everything I buy. Maybe it is just me. End rant. Chuck

Reaction score
My Car
1973 351c 2v fmx convertible
It seems that we are all in the same boat, quality controls has gone by the wayside...
Ain't that the truth. It's the same everywhere and for all makes and models unfortunately. A lot of issues can be traced to the manufacturing country of origin.

droptop73

Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I use these guys, very satisfied with what I've bought.

piper62j

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q-Code Mach 1. Full restoration in progress.
I have had quite a bit of problems with replacement and rebuilt parts over the past few years. Most new parts are made in China and give great warranties, but are basically junk. They advertise made to oem specs, but they are not.. The Chinese cannot convert American specs correctly, so it results in inaccurate dimensions. The quality of the rubber, metal and engineering is sub standard. Rebuilt parts are worse because the parts used to rebuild the items are substandard.. It all goes to a total lack of quality from the information provided to the material used in the finished product..

Towards the end of my automotive career, I would only install OEM parts.. They cost more, but failure rate was extremely low.. We saved on comebacks and the lost revenue on doing the job over again.

machcrazy

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach1
351 Cleveland 4v
Automatic overdrive transmission
The starter on my 1969 Cougar decided to go bad sitting in the driveway. Searched over a dozen parts stores near me. I finally found one for a standard shift about 10 miles away. I got out the jack stands and floor jack, something I am loath to do these days, and installed the new starter. Still no crank. Back to the store. It tests bad, trying to draw 220 Amps. No other starter until Monday. So the car sits jacked up until then. A similar thing happen 6 months ago with an alternator for a 2017 Mustang. Two new but bad fuel sending units for the Cougar two years ago. That doesn't include the junk reproduction parts that seem to have doubled in price. It seems to be getting much worse with everything I buy. Maybe it is just me. End rant. Chuck
Bosch makes a good starter. Try summit auto

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Piper said: "Towards the end of my automotive career, I would only install OEM parts.. They cost more, but failure rate was extremely low.. We saved on comebacks and the lost revenue on doing the job over again." I maintain my newer Ford Vehicles with mostly Motorcraft parts. However, the quality and reliability of some parts has declined since Ford started sourcing some parts from China beginning in 2005. The world needs to acknowledge the many threats coming from the CCP. It has taken a war to convince the western world that Russia is a clear and present danger. Chuck

markafss

Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1, C6, original owner
I’ve had great luck with west coast classics cougar in Oregon. Check out their website.

Ron Tanzi

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 bright red, standard black interior,pb,ps
gauge package.rim blow steering wheel,15" magnum 500s,351 C 2bbl running a 4bbl Holley 600,MSD 6a with stock distributor and Pertronix,Comp cam mild grind, The Engine(rebuilt by me in 2002 for the second time the first rebuild I did was stock in 1995) made 305hp and 358 lb ft on the dyno. 9" 2.75 rear end,Global west sub frame connectors,620 front coils.Rear defroster. My parents bought my car brand new the year before I was born. I cherish it like my child.
Piper said: "Towards the end of my automotive career, I would only install OEM parts.. They cost more, but failure rate was extremely low.. We saved on comebacks and the lost revenue on doing the job over again." I maintain my newer Ford Vehicles with mostly Motorcraft parts. However, the quality and reliability of some parts has declined since Ford started sourcing some parts from China beginning in 2005. The world needs to acknowledge the many threats coming from the CCP. It has taken a war to convince the western world that Russia is a clear and present danger. Chuck
You got that right.

Ron Tanzi

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 bright red, standard black interior,pb,ps
gauge package.rim blow steering wheel,15" magnum 500s,351 C 2bbl running a 4bbl Holley 600,MSD 6a with stock distributor and Pertronix,Comp cam mild grind, The Engine(rebuilt by me in 2002 for the second time the first rebuild I did was stock in 1995) made 305hp and 358 lb ft on the dyno. 9" 2.75 rear end,Global west sub frame connectors,620 front coils.Rear defroster. My parents bought my car brand new the year before I was born. I cherish it like my child.
I am a fan of Powermaster products. I have used their alternators and starters in Fords and Chryslers and they are good quality in my experience. I may curse myself by mentioning this: The starter in my Mustang was bought at Pep boys 1996 and it still works well. Now I will attempt to start her tomorrow and hear "click" "click". Lol.

Ron

Latest posts