Another Okie on here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback
Hi, I signed up here some time ago but was having trouble getting on with my Windows 98 so like we do with our Cars had to upgrade to Windows 10.

I got a 1972 Fastback 351C-2V. Its an older restore we did about 15 years ago. Back when they didn't have re-production parts. So its not 100% original but the best i could afford at the time.  Wouldn't say its a show car but its mine. I have had some issues with it showing HOT . I been reading here about maybe it could be a thermostat issue. 

Thanks for having this site,

Bruno

Welcome from Amsterdam, the Netherlands! That’s a very nice looking car you got, no matter if it’s all original or not. This way it’s a car with a story :)

Welcome to the forum.

There are several things that you need to check out on the overheating issue. The thermostat is one for sure and is unique to the 351 C engine. Search the forum some recent posts on the subject. Here are some other items you should check.

Is radiator cap good and proper pressure?

Are the radiator hoses in good shape not collapsing?

Is there a good flow of water through the radiator?

Is there signs of build up of corrosion on the ends of the radiator core when you look into the radiator?

When those all look good if you still have an issue have your system checked for a blow head gasket. You can do or have someone do it they put some special chemicals in container and put on the radiator. The color will change if there is exhaust gases getting into the cooling system.

You can remove your thermostat and put in pot of water and heat up to see if it is opening. If it is and is the correct style then you can reuse it. When you take the thermostat out clean the bolts and apply some anti seize to the threads to prevent locking up.

Here is a picture of one of the correct thermostats for the Cleveland engine. There are several different brands and member just posted great list a couple weeks ago giving all brands and the part numbers. The Cleveland thermostat has to have a feature that goes down into the baffle installed in the block. You can see it just below the thermostat when you pull it. If not there I would get one and install. I would use a 192 deg. thermostat. You would think a cooler one would make the engine stay cooler but not always true. If the thermostat is open too much, might be reason for overheat now, the water circulates too fast and does not have time to cool in the radiator.

Also when you put coolant in and mix with water use distilled water to keep any minerals out of the system.

I also drill a small hole in the thermostat to allow the air to escape when filling the system that way it does not have to burp when filling it. Maybe 1/32" dia. in an area outside of where it functions.

I recently found the ones in the pics at an old parts house that had been closed for years. Just do some looking in your area you will be surprised what might turn up.

Let us know what you find.

David

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Special thanks to David and Don for their input on the cooling system. It just shows hot and never overflowed thru the radiator cap. I have checked it with my IR heat gun but was also not sure were the best place to check it at. I think i check the block next to the sending unit. Don't remember it being too high. I have been also thinking about the sending unit being the wrong one. Never thought much about the gauge.

Thanks again to all.

BB

Back