Another Pertronix Question...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanglover, From what I have read here and other places, it is more than occasional bad one. Chuck

Stanglover, From what I have read here and other places, it is more than occasional bad one. Chuck
I see, interesting. Maybe Pertronix know there are some issues and why they exchanged that P3 without question.

I know of several who use Pertronix products without any problem, so maybe they're the lucky ones. 

TIP: don't leave a brand new module sitting on a shelf for 3 years before trying it, therefore out of warranty. I'm out over $180 Cdn because I had a "spare" P2 just sitting around.

Why not stay p1 if they ran fine with no changes? Is there btw any noticeable gain with p2 or p3 over p1 for regular use?
I will be looking into this. Its just that I had gone out and purchased two P2's thinking it was an easy bolt in upgrade similar to the P1... My original P1 worked fine until we were trying to adjust the QJet carb. We had spent an afternoon in the garage starting and stoppin the engine and probably left the key on for too long and burned it out... I will also look to run the 12v power line to the coil for future use.... I have 10 spare sets of points..., so I'm ok ))

mmm, it's probably that annoying buzzer that prevented me to burn it. Ordered my p1 in late 80's and it still work flawlessly.
I've ordered a new p1 unit for my 429.

" I have 10 spare sets of points..., so I'm ok"
I have a couple of them and 3 carbs around too. But these things belong to the past and are really too obsolete to be on my cars ever again.

I will be looking into this. Its just that I had gone out and purchased two P2's thinking it was an easy bolt in upgrade similar to the P1... My original P1 worked fine until we were trying to adjust the QJet carb. We had spent an afternoon in the garage starting and stoppin the engine and probably left the key on for too long and burned it out... I will also look to run the 12v power line to the coil for future use.... I have 10 spare sets of points..., so I'm ok ))
 You probably won't want to do this, but as I just remembered what I had done so I could run points on a resister in the event of an emergency while out on the road.  This was back when I had the P3 on the car and I was having timing issues, I installed a Chrysler type resistor (I forget what Ohms it was) on the firewall. Again trying to recall, I think I took a 12V supply from a different switched source the ran a separate wire to the coil. This wire was wrapped up with the other wires going to the coil and temp sensors and left disconnected of course, but here if needed. The only thing was I didn't hide the resistor, but it could be done. This didn't last long however once I gained confidence in the P2 and I removed it.

Just as a thought to offer an alternative back up.

Back