Another Rough Idle thread! Help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. F these bolts. I am going to just yank the motor. I will spend more time jacking around and skinning my knuckles than it takes to pull her.

That pushrod on 4 cylinder was full of goo, no oil could go up it. I will plan on sending heads out for valve work once I pull her and check out the rotating assembly. If possible I may try and put new bearings and oil pump on her since I have it out. Need to assess once I get it pulled. Thanks y’all for hanging in there with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get the engine out and go to the manifold bolts give then a couple good licks with a hammer before trying to break loose. And once you get broke loose hit again. This sort of compresses the rust some to make easier to break loose and screw out. Always clean all holes with taps blow out and go back with anti seize on manifold and water neck when putting them back and they will not stick. Do not put anti seize on head bolts only oil like mfg. recommends. Use anti seize on any bolt in front that go into water jacket and get very rusty.

Turns into a snow ball every time.

D

Update! Got her out and had great help from my kiddo.
d0b546c212ed0a4ce5d359f35698095d.jpg

Wasn’t difficult at all, wished I would have just pulled her two months ago instead of farting around trying to diagnose. Lots of grime on that side of engine, failed oil pan gasket perhaps? The driver side is equally worse but I had a PS hose showering the exhaust manifold when I first got it.

74ae635fc101dcb3573fa1a8dabb9c9f.jpg

2a32e6bf776c8900f89a5bab35453d7a.jpg

The passenger side head pulled right now, I have pulled heads on many cars over the years, usually they are fused a bit to the block deck. Not this one...

d6d313701f31adcb0168f580e3e7b625.jpg
21d9ec22befbed82c3ef834029315876.jpg

2c0134ba8c01cc97d760a9fd66dcebed.jpg

Did break one exhaust manifold bolt off in head.... bummer but I am sending heads out for work so I will let the machine shop get it out.
f44120dd0943d1ed3ddd850b7aa205b1.jpg

Thanks for the reminder on head bolts. Would you mind looking at the pics I posted earlier and adding any analysis. I just haven’t had that many engines apart to really gauge what is going on.

your motor is out, No time like now to have a machine shop bore the cylinders, clean the passages, deck the pistons, polish the crank, check the cam, replace the lifters, work the heads........basically its 47 years old, give it a clean heart now and spend a grand, maybe 2 but that will give you another 45 years, or spend 6 in 10 years because of some little blocked something. Basically the time is NOW when you can deliver a part for replacement instead of a car for overhaul. :) just my 2 cents.

I'm in charlotte, I can send you my engine guys number if you need, hes great, fast and reasonable just in Chester, SC.

Hell he needs my help with telecom in his shop could even give your motor a ride down there for the gas...........assuming u come to deal with him on the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulled heads and sent them off for checking and head job. The valve guide and stems were in really quite rough shape. Will start dissembling the bottom half this week.

Back