Any 70s Ranchero owners/fans on the Forum?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
I am looking at a 1970 GT Ranchero and thought I would ask who on the Forum might also own an early 70s model and would know a thing or two about them. As I look this thing over I might have a question or two.

Thanks

I had a 70 Torino GT that was a ton of fun. Not a lot of repo sheetmetal parts for the 70-71 cars, so make sure she's fairly solid.
Thanks. Had a bunch of Mustangs over the years, thinking it's time to try something else. This one is a M code with 3 on the tree. If I get it that will change to 5 on the floor.

Rich, the closest I can get to that is a 70 M code Torino GT I tried to beat to death. While not an owner, I am a big fan of the Ranchero and came dangerously close to ownership a couple of times. When they were sold new I was more into Torino's and Mustang's to scratch my performance itch. The son of a lady I rented from during my single days had one I wanted. It was a 70 GT with hideaway headlamps, M code with  Shaker Ram Air, bucket seats with console and please arrest me Calypso Coral Orange with laser body side stripes. He still owns it to this day and claims he will be buried in it. So....no sell there. The second was a 71 GT with a "C" 429"and not much else. No bucket seats, console, hide away headlights or look at me stuff. He was more proud of it than I was willing to be and we could not agree on a price!

The good part is that most of the mechanical's and sheet metal from the doors forward are shared with the Torino. Anything involving sheet metal or trim behind the doors could be a challenge. Haven't really checked for Ranchero parts  in a while but hopefully things have improved.   :)

Here is the Marti on it.... Its a Red GT, Manual 351C 4v, White letter tires, the bench seat in a GT and the vinyl roof are interesting. Were all three spd on the column? Not all GTs had the hideaway lights...correct?

0 1970

A Built at Atlanta

48 Ranchero GT

M 351-4V V-8 Engine

01/70 January 1970

66C Ranchero GT

T Red Paint, Ford #2008-A

GA Black Vinyl Bench Seat

9 3.25 Conventional Rear Axle

1 Three-Speed Manual Transmission

25 Richmond DSO (District Sales Office)

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- Black Full Vinyl Roof

- F70X14 Belted Raised White Letter Tires

- AM Radio

Maybe make it look something like this 71...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned a few Torinos including a 70 429 CJ and a 71 429 SCJ, but only one 70-71 Ranchero. It was a '70 GT model N code auto car. Calypso coral with the side laser stripes. It had white interior. Hood was not blacked out and don't think it was supposed to be. I really liked the car but had issues with the power steering unit always leaking. I did not like that design.

But I did like the car. Someone came by and offered me more than I thought the car was worth - so I sold it. They have become very popular and expensive! Will always appreciate a 1970-71 Tiorino and Ranchero.

Ray

Mine was a 70GT H-code sportsroof, white with maroon bucket interior, laser stripes & floor shift. P/S. PDB and that was about it. Mine had fixed headlights and the GT hood. I had collected parts to do a 429 4spd swap, but traded it to a friend's cousin to do the paint on my Mustang. He's done a bunch of work to it, but don't think he completed it yet.

Just thinking out loud here, as the 70-71 Torino shares quite a bit in common with the 71-73 Mustang. The front clip is very similar, frt crossmember, even the front aprons. Rear axle housing has the spring pads in a different location, but the axles are the same as a 71-3. The P/S was a PITA on mine as well, always had issues with it. I had considered the idea of grafting the frame section from a 71-73 onto it to use the Saginaw box. Could probably use the Mustang steering bits to make it work.

Mine was a 70GT H-code sportsroof, white with maroon bucket interior, laser stripes & floor shift. P/S. PDB and that was about it. Mine had fixed headlights and the GT hood.  I had collected parts to do a 429 4spd swap, but traded it to a friend's cousin to do the paint on my Mustang. He's done a bunch of work to it, but don't think he completed it yet.

Just thinking out loud here, as the 70-71 Torino shares quite a bit in common with the 71-73 Mustang. The front clip is very similar, frt crossmember, even the front aprons.  Rear axle housing has the spring pads in a different location, but the axles are the same as a 71-3. The P/S was a PITA on mine as well, always had issues with it. I had considered the idea of grafting the frame section from a 71-73 onto it to use the Saginaw box. Could probably use the Mustang steering bits to make it work.
The car I am looking at has a very solid body and most parts, but no paint, engine or trans.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep those thoughts in mind should I pull the trigger.

Rich, if you got the time and the $$ you can sure get it close to that one.

All 3sp manual transmissions were on the "Tree". 1969 was the last year for the floor mounted 3sp in the Torino/Ranchero line. Sorta strange considering the money Ford had spent on a complete redesign of the 70 Torino. Bucket seats and console were separate options on all models. If a console was ordered for a 3sp manual Ranchero  there was a trim plate to cover where the shifter would normally be.

The Levant pattern Vinyl roof was an option on all models in white or black.

The hideaway headlights were only standard on the Torino Brougham in the car line, but were available as an option on all Rancheros except the base model. The flat black hood paint was an option only on the GT.

I really enjoyed my 70 Sportroof GT. Mine was plain. Bench seat with auto on the column, dog dishes with trim rings and white letters. Could almost be mistaken for a school teachers car. Only thing it had that stood out was a 351 4bl that pulled like a freight train!

Rich, if you got the time and the $$ you can sure get it close to that one.

All 3sp manual transmissions were on the "Tree". 1969 was the last year for the floor mounted 3sp in the Torino/Ranchero line. Sorta strange considering the money Ford had spent on a complete redesign of the 70 Torino. Bucket seats and console were separate options on all models. If a console was ordered for a 3sp manual Ranchero  there was a trim plate to cover where the shifter would normally be.

The Levant pattern Vinyl roof was an option on all models in white or black.

The hideaway headlights were only standard on the Torino Brougham in the car line, but were available as an option on all Rancheros except the base model. The flat black hood paint was an option only on the GT.

I really enjoyed my 70 Sportroof GT. Mine was plain. Bench seat with auto on the column, dog dishes with trim rings and white letters. Could almost be mistaken for a school teachers car. Only thing it had that stood out was a 351 4bl that pulled like a freight train!
Not thinking of doing a full-on street concourse build this time. I am thinking of a nice restomod, something I would be willing to drive any time. My wife wants to sell the family 2008 Explorer and get a car. So I need something I can use to tow the utility trailer, jet skis, and haul stuff home from Lowes and to the dump.

The more we talk about it the more I am liking the idea of having a Ranchero.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had a 70's Ranchero but had a 66 until couple years ago had to clear out some vehicles to build the garage. The 66 was based on the Falcon so most pieces are same as Mustang. I sold to a guy that traveled couple hundred miles to get. It was a total rust bucket and almost broke in half when loading on trailer. It was 289 D code 2-V 3 speed column shift. So he was going to use the front spindles, engine, trans, and rear to convert a 66 mustang 6 cylinder to a V-8. Believe it or not I got $1,000 for it I only gave $300 for it years before. We opened the hood and you could turn the engine with the fan blade by hand so not stuck after sitting since the 80's outside in a field.

I am sure most of you know that our Australian friends are why the Ranchero was here. The story I hear is that a woman wrote Ford a letter and wanted a vehicle she could use on the ranch / farm during the week and drive to church on Sunday. It was either 1932 or 1935 that Ford made a prototype build of I think 12 vehicles based on a car front end and a dressed up rear truck bed. Like cutting the top off a station wagon. They were liked so Ford started production. They continued to make them until just a few years ago and each year looked like a car in the front and had the truck bed. I love the 1950 and 1956 models of the UTI. That is what they are called in Australia. Google them they are fun vehicles for sure.

You cannot put much weight in the bed or the doors will not open or close, lol. When I worked on construction in the 60's my boss had one of the Ford F-100 with the bed and body made in one piece, fleetside maybe. He had me cleaning up around a build sight and I had the drivers door open while loading. I pilled broken concrete blocks and bricks in the back and when I went to take and dump the drivers door would not close the unitized body had sagged and door was off by over an inch. I held it and drove to the fill site.

There were a couple in the Mustang junk yard I visited in eastern NC.

David

I have 2 71 ranchero projects and a parts car. Progress has been slow this summer...I don't know if it's the heat or me getting old lol ...anyway, I'll be back in force when it cools down. Post pics if you get it.

I love torinos , even 72's. I learned to drive in a 71 351 4v gt. (My dad traded it for an Ltd before I got my license) my brother in law has a nice 70 429 cj 4 speed black cobra. I always offer to drive when we take it anywhere. .That said, I agree with hemikiller if you want a Torino / Ranchero, start with the best and most complete one you can find. If you end up needing parts let me know . I have 2 good connections in fl for Parts and info. I'll get you the phone #s if you want.

Back