Any Ideas on What This Is?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I have a 66K original mile 73 convertible that has never been apart and never modified in any way. I removed the speedometer gauge cluster for a good cleaning and came across a black plastic pipe on the top of the steering column and parallel to the right of the ignition switch rod. The pipe is empty and I can't tell where it goes but appears to be attached to the plastic housing that covers the collapsible part of the steering column closer to the firewall. I have had many 73 Mustang columns apart over the years and have never seen this pipe on any of them. Has anyone seen this on their Mustangs?

Attachments

• Steering Column 73 Conv.jpg
    Steering Column 73 Conv.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
I have owned my 73 convert since 1974 and mine does not have that. Perhaps added as a tube to run wires through for an accessory.

I have a very detailed set of documentation on this car from the original owner. There is no evidence of any accessories that were added to this car over the years. The tube seems to be attached to something on the other end. I will not be pulling the column on this car and I may not be limber enough to get under the dash to see the other end of this tube. One interesting thing is that I found the business card for the salesman that sold this as a new car in Kent, Washington at Bowen Scarff Ford back in February of 1973. It had somehow gotten under the dash and on top of the instrument cluster.

Back