Any NASCAR fans among us? Ford Talladega on feebay.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford was instituting the original version of KISS.......Keep it simple stupid. Nascar's favorite pastime was finding reasons to ban anything Ford. Meanwhile, Ford was super focused on building the required number of Talladega and Cyclone Spoiler II cars to satisfy Nascar with no wasted time. The Dodge Daytonas were running away from the field at the larger tracks, and Ford intended to put a stop to it.
The keep it simple philosophy meant only one engine and transmission, a Q code non-ram air 428, and a column shifted C6. A basic black bench seat interior and an almost non-existent option list were about it. You did have an exterior color choice of white, Maroon, or Presidential blue. Ford felt if you wanted optional engines, transmissions, interiors, etc., you could order a GT or Cobra. According to a family friend who ran a Mercury dealership, the Cyclone Spoiler II was a hard sell in '69. The standard and only powertrain choice for the Spoiler II was an M code 351W with an FMX transmission. No match for any big block cars that ruled the roads in the '60s and '70s.

I know the quality control, fit and finish of the '60s, and 70s cars are a far cry from what rolls out of the assembly plants now. But I can't unsee the bad door gaps and the trunk that looks like the back of a dirty station wagon. I agree with DAverkamp; for $70,000.00, fix the @$"!+Ø* door gaps and clean up that trunk! I remember riding by the local Ford dealer with some school buddies to look at a couple of Talladega's they had in stock. None had door gaps as bad as the white one in the E-Bay ad!

Last edited:
Back