Any Ram Truck Owners here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I just picked up a 2013 leftover Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi! My wife said it was my Christmas present (but I still get to pay for it...go figure! LOL! But, I am loving it! Plenty of power, lots of gadgets and even some chrome!

This is the best pic I have so far...the weather hasn't been too cooperative around here lately!

20140112_094155_zps1a717265.jpg

The color is actually Western Brown Pearl but it looks like metallic rootbeer in bright sun and more of a reddish/maroon color in low light. I love that it is a unique color that you don't see everyday!

It's got the 8.4" touch screen radio, nav, sirius and tons of other options but I'm not sure why Ram left out the back up cam and remote start! I will be adding these as soon as OEM kits come out! No rear defroster either but I can live with that since it has heated mirrors!

So who else is in the Ram Truck Club? :D

I've had 2 in the past. Loved them both. I drove a Dakota quad cab 4x4 with their 4.7 litre V-8. It was a mule. Then I drove a 1500 with a hemi. It was a beast.

I think Ram has won the game as far as styling goes. Toyota a close 2nd place.

My only issue with RAM, is that they don't use parts with grease fittings... and their front ends are notorious for giving up the ghost quicker than most.

BUt then... RAMs are a bit less expensive...

I don't , but a friend has the bighorn w/ 5.7 hemi . One of the fastest trucks I"ve ever rode in . Congrats !!! :cool:

No Ram trucks here, but one sorry little '98 Ram Van conversion with the 3.9. Couldn't pull water upstream, uncomfortable to drive, and due for the intake plenum gasket.

Would be fun to shove a HEMI 5.7L in it from a wrecked chassis though...

-Kurt

My wife drives a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 . Even though we've recently had to do a few repairs, after about 160,000 miles, it's still a great truck to drive. With-in the past year we've had to replace a blown head gasket, have the rear differential rebuilt and replace all the control arms and ball joints. We just put a new set of tires on it last week. I'm hoping that'll take care of it for a little while so I can start spending money on the Mustang again. Good news is she purrs like a kitten (the truck, not the wife) and we don't have to make payments on her (again, the truck, not the wife).

I've had my '97 1500 4x4 since Nov '99. I absolutely LOVE my truck, and can't see ever getting rid of it (unless something catastrophic happens - and then I'd get one like Barry's).

210176_217588428252083_7308954_o.jpg

If it ever blows up, a crate engine will go in. If the wheels fall off, I'll slap on some more and continue driving. It still looks good, runs great, is very comfortable, only has about 130K on the odo, and most important: paid for. ;)

Im debating over getting a F150 super crew, .Dodge Ram 1500 crew or a Toyota Tundra crew Max.

My wife's cousin had an 01' Ram 1500, we did a ton of towing, plowing, he traded it in last year with around 110k. for a Jeep (he had no need for a truck anymore), the only issue was Rust, but here in New England its common.

sent deom my Samsung SIII via TapTalk

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter had an 02 with 4.7...2 transmissions, differential bearing caps broke (very flimsy made), exhaust manifolds fell off, 2 radiators, front suspension rebuild, ac controls quit, water pump issues, and the biggie...the oil pump drive broke and ruined the engine. Two of my buds had 1500's and major problems as well...NO DODGES IN MY DRIVEWAY!

That being said...I know nothing about the hemi, but I do know that the diesel equipped dodges seem to be real work horses

The only 'major' things I've had go wrong with mine so far:

• catalytic converter replacement at around 65K
  • water pump replaced at around 90K

The rest of the stuff was not due to any kind of failure of the truck itself:

• hit a 350 lb mule deer in Utah - bent the bumper and busted a headlight
  • hail storm in 2002 - $5500 damage: repaint with cowl hood
  • 3 sets of tires since owning
  • 2nd set of nerf bars
  • 2nd tonneau cover
  • replaced 40-20-40 seat with unit from a '98 Quad-Cab (much better for a big guy)
  • 2nd windshield (rock chips that cracked before I could get it fixed)

That's it. I drive it daily an average of 30 miles. Freaken love my Ram!

I have been a long time Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep owner as our family daily drivers. Reason being my father retired from Chrysler in 99' and we get his employee discount, which about 5% below dealer cost. I cannot afford anything other than the mopars for the daily drivers. I have an 06' Durango with 170K+ miles on it. I did rebuild the transmission about two years ago, but I admit I did do a fair bit of towing. Wife has an 11' Durango Citadel with the v6 and every option available. Daughter has an 08' Jeep Liberty we bought used as her first car. I am chomping for a 14' Ram Big Horn or Laramie. I just cannot swing it right now with every $ and more that I have going into finishing up the 72 stang. This time next year I will probably be getting a ram. Then to save for an enclosed car trailer to travel to MCA shows.

I had just bought a 2010 F150 Super Crew in July but unbeknownst to me, it was having VVT issues in the 5.4 Triton and I basically had no warranty to help pay for repairs. Luckily, I put a good deal down on the F150 form the insurance payment when my Cobalt SS was totaled so I had pretty good equity in the Ford. Coupled with a great deal on the 2013 leftover Ram, I drove her away for $350 per month and with a 10 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty!

I will say that the F150 had a little more cab room and a deeper cargo box but I don't haul or tow so I really didn't need a work truck! The Ram is more sporty with the Hemi, aerodynamic profile and I like how the 20" wheels fill the fender gap! It's like driving the Mustang in the winter! LOL! Plus I get all the cool electronic gadgets to play where the Ford was pretty limited in creature features.

All in all, I liked the Ford and would never rule out another sometime down the road but I am really loving the Ram right now! My wife is even considering a Durango with a Hemi because she loves driving my truck so much!

That brings me to a conundrum...If I ever get in position to buy a new model muscle car, I will have to decide between a Mustang or a Challenger with a 426 Hemi! I still absolutely love Mustangs but that Hemi engine addictive! Oh well, I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it! Until then, the only muscle cars for me are 71-73 Mustangs! :D

I have a 2002 Ram Sport with the 5.9L. The truck was a demo and has every option available in 2002. I bought it in 2005 with only 14K miles on the clock. The truck has plenty of power for towing things like car trailers with Mustangs on them. The only major problem I have had with it is that the entire rear end was replaced under warranty due to some internal clips coming loose and wiping out the gears. That happened at 16K miles:dodgy: Now has 70k miles.

sxcb2d.jpg

1zczh48.jpg

Dodge with the Cummins Turbo diesel is a good truck. I am partial to Ford so we have the F250 SD with the diesel and it tows really well. On my 1300 mile trip towing my Mustang on a trailer I got 16mpg and hills were no problem at all. Trucks in my opinion are pretty much all the same so its a matter of brand choice that you are comfortable with. Only recommendation is consider a diesel if you tow a lot, drawback the extra cost for the motor.

-jbojo

I just happen to have one .......

IMG_1505sss_zpsa0a1a76a.jpg

IMG_1504sss_zpsbbc1d6e3.jpg

IMG_1481sss_zps68bf068f.jpg

Build-1sss.jpg

Jim

Oh by the way mine is a Ram SRT-10 2004 RC, with about 625 FWHP, My summer Truck.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I just happen to have one .......

IMG_1505sss_zpsa0a1a76a.jpg

IMG_1504sss_zpsbbc1d6e3.jpg

IMG_1481sss_zps68bf068f.jpg

Build-1sss.jpg

Jim

Oh by the way mine is a Ram SRT-10 2004 RC, with about 625 FWHP, My summer Truck.

Jim
That is one sic SRT! I don't know how you keep rear tires on it...LOL! I'd be smokin' them off weekly!

Back