Any thoughts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks decent, non functioning hood, single exhaust, AC which is a plus but seems priced about 20 K more than it's worth IMO.

Definitely have it inspected. Seems like a lot of money, but if it hasn't been pierced together, its a very highly optioned car, about as good as it got for a convertible in 72. Hopefully they have a Marti Report.

None of these cars are cheap anymore, unless there are obvious things that are wrong with them. That car seems a little high, but it all depends on what was done to it. If all it has is a paint job and a new interior I would run, but if it has been completely gone through: engine, transmission, steering, suspension, differential, brakes, fuel system, cooling system, and the body and interior were done, then it may just be a steal. Doing one of these cars from front to back is a TON of time and money. If all it has is a nice paint job and interior over a tired car, you will put tons and tons more money into it to make it drive as nice as it looks and at that time it is not worth it.

I love a red exterior and even some red inside to add contrast to a black interior but solid red on red is too much for me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a bit high on the price to me, but at auction it may go for less if there is no reserve.  I agree with having any car checked out by someone you trust and is knowledgeable of the 71-73s.

My observations: 

- Panel alignment doesn't look great on the left side and rear

- Shouldn't the exterior decor group include the color-keyed sport mirrors?

- Antenna is wrong (I know, small thing but they add up)

- Hard to judge paint from pictures but omitted the black on the lower panels and the fender bolts were painted over

- I would doubt it is a 66K mile car, but if mechanically sound this is not an issue

- It appears to be pretty well complete

- Being in Florida, and if it has been there for several years, I would be cautious of hidden rust, especially in the cowl and trunk

Those are my thoughts.  Good luck with your search!  If you find a car in the San Antonio, Texas area let me know and I'd be happy to check it out for you. 

- Panel alignment doesn't look great on the left side and rear

- Shouldn't the exterior decor group include the color-keyed sport mirrors?

- Hard to judge paint from pictures but omitted the black on the lower panels and the fender bolts were painted over
These struck me right away. That door to fender alignment is pretty bad. It should have sport mirrors, but they were tough to find good ones up until about ten years ago. It definitely looks odd with the decor trim and no contrasting color. 

Painted fender bolts is a huge pet peeve of mine....

Here's one for you... ONLY 85K Cdn!! A bargain at half the price 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ford/mustang/mississauga/ontario/5_53420207_20160811163351257/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&pc=N7L 4A9&sprx=-1

There is NO VIN shown (and a bunch of other important info) and the Marti report is too small to read and the res too small to blow up Oh and I really like the "Stripe Delete" bit!

As for the red Vert, I have zero experience with these, but I do see a few things I don't like that would make me cautious. I'd want to know what was UNDER that beautiful red paint for starters.

Here's one for you... ONLY 85K Cdn!! A bargain at half the price 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ford/mustang/mississauga/ontario/5_53420207_20160811163351257/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&pc=N7L 4A9&sprx=-1

There is NO VIN shown (and a bunch of other important info) and the Marti report is too small to read and the res too small to blow up Oh and I really like the "Stripe Delete" bit!

As for the red Vert, I have zero experience with these, but I do see a few things I don't like that would make me cautious. I'd want to know what was UNDER that beautiful red paint for starters.
$85k??? ...what's it made from? ... Platinum, Gold, unobtanium ? 

$85k??? ...what's it made from? ... Platinum, Gold, unobtanium ? 
 Paint, rust and whatever else was covered up!! If it were closer to where I live, I'd go see it just for shits and giggles and rip it apart. If they paid a lot for it, like 60 grand, I'll be selling mine to them as well. Chances are, they only paid 20+ and THINK they have a rare gold mine, which it's not. It was probably very similar to the one I have, a basic Mach 1 with a few options hence the "Stripe Delete" part. I might email them and request a readable copy of the Marti, just to mess with them a bit.

Sorry ... I'm missing something -- how did the black one at $85k come into the picture ... it wasn't what I was asking about .. equally that could be made out of putty ... what point am I missing ... you've completely lost  me . 

Check body carefully. It still has the radiator core support-to-fan shroud insulator. I would think that's the first thing to throw away if fixing any front end damage, so that's good. If it is dry it's worth $30k at least...

Seems HIGH to me. I gave less than that for my Mach, and it's a legit J-Code. That was almost 5 years ago, and I get that prices have gone up. I'd keep looking though.

Sorry ... I'm missing something -- how did the black one at $85k come into the picture ... it wasn't what I was asking about .. equally that could be made out of putty ... what point am I missing ... you've completely lost me .
I sent a PM regarding this. No the black 85K car was not intended as an option for you. I posted it as something of a joke, just for fun. These guys are dreaming for sure, but if someone is will to pay that much, great, it makes all our cars more valuable.

Back