Anybody know what this is?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSC73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Fastback Mustang Mach 1 351Q 4v
Hey everyone so I recently bought a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback 351 Cleveland Q code (If this info helps). I wanted to know what this is for if anyone knew. Let me know thanks! Just in case it isn't clear its on the left side of the engine bay in the far back near the firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_4839.jpeg
    IMG_4839.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
I think he is talking about the hose he has in his hand. That could be one of the hoses for the windshield washers, it should be connected to the bottom of the hood where a plastic windshield washer nozzle should be bolted on.

My apologies everyone for not being a little more clear I was talking about the blue canister and the hose was what I believed to be connecting to it just to give anyone who saw the thread some reference. Thank you guys for the replies I appreciate them!

You have some correct answers re: what the blue canister is and about the hose that is not connected to it in the photos I see. That is part of the Fuel Evaporative Control System, one of those rare emission control systems that actually does good without causing any engine performance problems. RD-72 has provided some great information. I have attached a file with some more info, and a slightly different drawing that I think will add some useful perspective (see Pages 19 - 21 in the attached PDF file). Embedded in this post is a page from the attached file.

Further, I put together a YouTube video on our 1973 Mustang Convertible showing its different parts of the Fuel Evaporative System. That video is at:

The smaller rubber hose connects at the one end to a steel fuel vapor line that leads back to the top of the fuel tank where there is a liquid/vapor inlet valve. There is a larger diameter hose that also connect to the blue charcoal filled canister. If is made with a corrugated paper exterior shell, and a foil inner layer hose that leads to the air cleaner housing. You can get a replacement paper/foil hose from a few different places. Just Google on "1973 mustang fuel evaporative paper foil hose" - there is nothing magic about "1973," it is just what I used. You can substitute your model year if it is not 1973.

I urge you to get your Fuel Evaporative system connected back up like it should be. Otherwise you will be needlessly dumping fuel vapors into the atmosphere (unburned hydrocarbons), and you will end up with a garage filled with gasoline vapors, a situation that it totally avoidable and correctable.

1652540349915.png

Attachments

• 1973Mustang_VolumeVI_EmissionControlSystems_Chapter6_20210210.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 1652540326636.png
    1652540326636.png
    314.7 KB · Views: 2
What he has in his hand is the vapor return hose that connects to the cannister.
Agreed. The vapor return hose from the gas tank. It connects to the blue charcoal canister and there is a paper/aluminum hose that connects the charcoal canister to the air cleaner assembly.

That hose looks to be in bad shape. You’ll need to replace it. It run to the top of the gas tank.

Back