Anyone going to Mecum in Fla?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I do not own a boss but too many things do not look right on this car. I think the clock has been turned back and not the whole truth told.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359607/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-fastback/?fbclid=IwAR1isa9tmcERgxXJ0CgRIAlyWBRiauzGgFTrfhKwwV0ob-oWkcESLg3bc1Y

Like I say no boss expert but go look at the following and see if they look correct to you.

The black on the hood, spoiler and lower panels just looks too shiny to be original and only 1,771 miles?

The shifter T handle has the paint worn off around the letters and you for sure do not do that in 1,771 miles?

The hood latch is painted black. All 71 - 73 Hood latches were phosphate not paint? 73 has a different length handle on it to get through the grill.

The bracket holding the hood latch is always SLOP Gray on every original car I have viewed?

The bolts holding the bracket onto the radiator support are painted also which is not right?

The color of the shock tower braces looks like no SLOP Gray I have ever seen either.

The oil fill cap on L.H. valve cover is that correct?

Ram Air cars did not have a decal on the air cleaner lid. That looks like an earlier Mustang decal?

The knob on the wiper washer is round should it not be like 6 sided?

The screws holding the top of the fan shroud on have looks like pal nuts instead of fender nuts? Were they different in 71?

Looks like a bug screen on the radiator?

Cast trim piece on the drivers door window controls beat to heck? Should be like new if 1771 miles?

The Coral color of the car could have been a special order paint for sure. They do not show the door sticker of Marti to see the 6 digit DSO code. I do not know how they can say one of three. Marti told me he did not get the numbers from Ford on Special Order Paint & Trim cars. I also contacted Ford and they told me that each District Office kept those records and that they had all been destroyed. Marti cannot tell you the color they painted the car either. The window sticker and Marti will just show a cost for the Special Order Paint and Trim.

Maybe Marti sorted out the Boss cars and found only three Special Paint ones. Only logical answer.

They have it as a no reserve expecting to get $135,00 - $150,000. I do not think that if anyone knows about these cars they will never pay that.

They show nothing under the car either but does not look clean from the rear shots.

I think this car and the other Boss cars in that collection was sold last year.

Will follow fro sure. Too much easy to see things wrong I would not trust them on this one for sure.

Lots of questions for those that know the boss cars.

how about the power rear windows ???? the door lock switch for 4 doors ??
No the power windows are correct and so are the switches. The lock is to turn off the other windows so the kids cannot roll them up and down, lol.

When you got power windows in a Mach 1, or FB the rear windows do roll down. I have my 73 that I ordered new. The other picture is of a 72 vert I parted out that had PW. They made 1,812 FB, Mach 1's and Boss with P.W. in 1971. The total for all models in 71 was 3,832, 72 was 3,560 and 73 jumped to 5,869. Those numbers are from Marti. So P.W. is a pretty common item.

The actual window in the door is different for P.W. has an arch cut to clear the drive  motor. They are pretty common and even more in Cougar. The rear motors are the most difficult to find the fronts are everywhere since also used on other Ford models.

https://ibb.co/P6NrjbL[/URL]

DSC-0933.jpg

I will be there. I go every year. Its like a huge car show every year of the coolest cars there are. Its a great family outing.

I will be there.  I go every year.  Its like a huge car show every year of the coolest cars there are.  Its a great family outing.
Would be interested in hearing a first hand report on this one. I do not think it is as original as advertised. I was looking down the list there are several mustangs going through but nothing super special but I had just got to Saturday. That gets pricey at $30.00 per day entry unless you buy in advance for $20.00 and 10 days lots of stuff going on. Plus toss in the hotel and Disney is cheaper, lol. Do you live close enough to just drive over?

Here is link to the event specifics if anyone interested.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/kissimmee-2019?utm_source=AAInfoNet+Master&utm_campaign=e701b52a05-FL19_RTB_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa410e9114-e701b52a05-112868689&mc_cid=e701b52a05&mc_eid=29f6764cee#auction-events

A few year’s back when I was in the midst of completing my Pastel Blue J Code Vert, I came across 6 of Kirt Fryer’s collection going to auction in Indianapolis. One of the car’s was a C Code Pastel Blue Grande. I made the effort to drive down to the auction from Toronto, to see the 6 car’s (B1’s and 429 car’s) in person. 

Well, to say I was both surprised and disappointed with the true condition of his car’s based on the Mecum write-up’s, is a huge understatement... They were over described, over restored ( not in a good way) and over priced... The PB Grande was a real disappointment for me and as the $30K selling price confirmed; other bidder’s felt the same way. 

His other car’s went considerably higher, but IMO, vastly over paid by buyer’s for the true condition of the car’s.

I am seeing many of the same issues in this B1, sloppy finishing’s, incorrect completion, etc. My advice to potential buyer’s of this car, do your home work and be sure of what you are getting for what you will pay for the car. My opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Boss owner but that price compared to others I've seen, is about 2x to high and they were in almost excellent condition.

Granted this may be selling as an "unrestored original" but with 1771 miles I wouldnt expect to see the drivers and  passenger door sills in the condition they are in as well what appears to be yellowish door cups against the white door panels. My doors werent even in that bad of condition.

Also whats up with the door handle on the drivers side?? How does a door pull even get that dirty? Thats a blasphemy to get into a car with hands dirty enough to do that, and then not clean it up a little in preparation for a sale.

Some rusty pieces under the hood and that air cleaner assembly looks really bad.

Wondering if the mileage is really 101771??

I will only be going on next Saturday. Hopefully it's still for sale. I dunno when it hits the block. If it sells they put it in a fenced enclosure where you can't get to it.

Our mustang club has a deal. If your a club member and a mca member you get free bidder passes for the whole auction. I'm not in MCA so I missed out.

The boss was likely poorly stored and neglected to be in that shape. The last mecum boss I saw was loaded with issues too. It's a shame what people try to pass off as correct or original.

I wish I could go the first day. Most of what I'm interested in seeing sells the first 2 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will only be going on next Saturday. Hopefully it's still for sale. I dunno when it hits the block. If it sells they put it in a fenced enclosure where you can't get to it.

Our mustang club has a deal. If your a club member and a mca member you get free bidder passes for the whole auction. I'm not in MCA so I missed out.

The boss was likely poorly stored and neglected to be in that shape. The last mecum boss I saw was loaded with issues too. It's a shame what people try to pass off as correct or original.

I wish I could go the first day. Most of what I'm interested in seeing sells the first 2 days.
Are you from the Orlando area? I am visiting but only until Wednesday. I read that there is a car show tomorrow that I would like to check.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes I live here. Up near Leesburg.

There is a small get together on wednesday the 9th at buffalo wild wings in Clermont.

Other than that, I dont see anything Mustang Specific on our event site.

And the Boss 351 sells for $82,500 all in.
Probably more than it was worth. Person that bought it probably did not know what they were looking at just going by Boss.

Thanks for letting us know.

Even though the Boss 1 is better car than 2 or 9 they just do not have the fame of Trans Am or the big engine. Way better all around car.

And the Boss 351 sells for $82,500 all in.
Probably more than it was worth. Person that bought it probably did not know what they were looking at just going by Boss.

Thanks for letting us know.

Even though the Boss 1 is better car than 2 or 9 they just do not have the fame of Trans Am or the big engine. Way better all around car.
Or you can look at prices for 71 Boss going up. Car looked good on TV

Back