Anyone have input on Quickjack?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have lifted and lowered the car about 20 times since purchase, everything working perfectly.   I do not leave it up when unattended and when I begin serious work underneath will put on jack stands and remove the quickjack for easier access.

Got my QuickJack all set up and running. Mine was missing the schraeder valves on the air assist cylinders. Not a big deal, picked a couple up and fixed the problem. Now I have several of the quick connect hydraulic fittings that are leaking. I'm going to re-seal the threads this week and if they continue to leak, will be calling QJ for some replacements. 

Just a couple observations...

If you live in a cold climate, use the thinnest hydraulic oil they spec (ISO 32) or ATF. I used some for my tractor that's ISO 64 and it's a bit slow to lower. 

Consider getting the SUV adapter posts. I noticed that due to the design of the front torque box, I have to pull the QJ out just far enough to clear the vertical flange, and that puts the rubber block on the inside edge of the unit. I might machine up some taller aluminum pucks with slots for the pinch weld so I can center the QJ under the lifting point. The SUV adapter posts should accomplish the same thing if you don't have access to machine tools. 

Also, the car moves horizontally at it's maximum lift point. If you're putting the car on jackstands, be aware that you'll need to chase the stands until they begin to take the weight of car. 

It might make a useful undercar jacking system, such as for a transmission. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and feel it's a good investment. As with any tool, it has it's plusses and minuses, and take some use to determine best practices. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I got the quickjack I made a set of these (pic from internet), the poor man's version of yours.  Not sure if I will use them or not but they are off to the side if needed.

View attachment 46261

300ZX 1986 Black26.JPG-.png

71 Vert Stripping on My New Hoist.jpg

Nice Z ). This has been a great maintenance and restoration addition to my garage. I was not convinced with the long term storage of a vehicle on the quick jack. This is a Bendpak scissor jack and I have had the Z on it since August and the J Code Vert spent months on it during its restoration, as well... My opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Z ). This has been a great maintenance and restoration addition to my garage. I was not convinced with the long term storage of a vehicle on the quick jack. This is a Bendpak scissor jack and I have had the Z on it since August and the J Code Vert spent months on it during its restoration, as well... My opinion...
A friend of mine has one of those that we used in a shop we shared, his was a Snap On branded unit, bought it circa 1995 and still uses it today. I used it a ton, saved so much time for typical car maintenance, restoration work, etc. I would have gotten one of those as I feel it is a more robust unit. However, it wouldn't work well in my tiny garage, where I need to be able to move things around. They are extremely heavy and not all that easy to move on a less than perfect floor. 

If things go as planned, I'll be building a garage this spring, and there will be multiple lifting options present. 

cribbingblocks.jpg

A friend of mine has one of those that we used in a shop we shared, his was a Snap On branded unit, bought it circa 1995 and still uses it today. I used it a ton, saved so much time for typical car maintenance, restoration work, etc. I would have gotten one of those as I feel it is a more robust unit. However, it wouldn't work well in my tiny garage, where I need to be able to move things around. They are extremely heavy and not all that easy to move on a less than perfect floor. 

If things go as planned, I'll be building a garage this spring, and there will be multiple lifting options present. 

View attachment 46716
True. Actually, It’s one of the reasons I got it originally as I did not have the space for a 2 or 4 Post hoist. I like that they can be moved if necessary, but not something you want to do on a regular basis.... I used my engine hoist to lift it into my trailer to move it to my new place last year. I had a car partially fall on me in the late 70’s, a Gremlin... I had lifted it with the bumper jack and went underneath it. You can guess the rest. Now, it has to be substantial before I’ll go under a car...

The wood block stacks would probably hold more than the steel jack system. If you have ever been around when the jack up an entire house to move it they use wooden blocks.
You put castors on the bottom the the wood blocks and make it easy to move around.
I have talked about it in the past. When I was a teenager I broke something in my hot rod almost weekly in the clutch, transmission, drive shaft, axle or rear. Knock on wood, never have blown an engine. My dad felt sorry for me and he went in the old one car garage and dug a pit 4 concrete blocks deep and poured a floor in it. I could pull the car over the pit and swap out a transmission in less than an hour. No jacking no stands sitting on the tires. Cost very little to do and we made a plywood cover for the pit to keep from falling in.
I am very happy with my two post lift use it often. Even hung deer on it to skin, lol. It had instructions to use Type F automatic transmission fluid in it. I use it when just wiping the car down.

DSC_0950.JPG

Back