Anyone own a conversion van?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
It kind of fell into place for me and the price was pretty darn good so I bought it. Feels like I'm driving down the road on a couch.

IMG_20150611_183137.jpg

I kind of like it. It has a 351w engine and is in really good shape overall. The PO just got back from a trip to S. Dakota with it and beforehand put all new suspension under it - ball joints, shocks, etc.

I'm planning to take it the family on a trip with it pulling the boat. That'll be the real test on how well we like it in how adequately it performs loaded down and towing. Any predictions?

I had one similar, but with the 302. It was badly under powered so your 351 should be much better. It was a comfy ride, but it could have used rear air, I ran a fan on a power inverter to help cool the back. We called ours the B.A.V. (Big A$$ Van) LOL

I kind of like it. It has a 351w engine and is in really good shape overall. The PO just got back from a trip to S. Dakota with it and beforehand put all new suspension under it - ball joints, shocks, etc.

I'm planning to take it the family on a trip with it pulling the boat. That'll be the real test on how well we like it in how adequately it performs loaded down and towing. Any predictions?
I'm betting it'll be a smooth trip but if you do break down, you'll be comfortable while waiting for the tow truck.

I've always been a fan of them. My only trip in one was with some friends to Fredericksburg, TX during Oktoberfest one year. Oh man, did I get smashed - wound up with a monster headache (since we were outside drinking beer in the sun pretty much all day), and all I wanted to do was just sit somewhere comfy and try to sleep. Jeff's van was perfect - his wife was driving, mine was also up front keeping her company, and the rest of us were in the back crashed out watching Happy Gilmore. Best "Monster-headache-from-drinking-too-much-beer-in-the-sun road trip" I ever had. lollerz

It's also the only time I've ever done that, too... but what a way to travel - total comfort and fun.

My wife doesn't like the way conversion vans look...said only grandparents drive them and she's too young to be seen in one. So we've seen 5 vans since buying it and everyone of them had our age or younger couples driving them. lol

I don't know - when I was kicked back with a fat head in the back watching a movie while the miles were clicking by on the way home, I was completely unconcerned with what anybody else was thinking of how I looked. ;)

That's the only way to travel, Man! Everybody but the driver can pretty much get up inside, move around a bit, make a sandwich, go lay down, or whatever.

Besides, the right window tint is the great equalizer for all those "image" issues. rofl

I a 2000 I picked up in PA years ago. I use it to go to swap meets like Carlisle (1600 miles each way). It's great for road trips around TX when friends or family come by to visit. It's on an E-250 chassis with the 5.8L OD drivetrain. I get about 13.5 - 14 MPG tooling around at 70/75 MPH.

Mine seats Seven - two front, two removable captains chairs behind and a third row electric bench that lays out to a bed. Front & rear AC controls and separate rear radio w/ 4 headphone jacks. TV, VCR (I added a DVD player) and hookups for game console, overhead storage cabinets and mini fridge/cooler. It's actually very comfortable to drive and we enjoy it a lot.

I have a HD tow bar, electric brake, etc but have never towed anything with it.

Yup Eric and bob, that's how I see it too. BTW, I ordered a class IV Draw-Tite hitch for it today. Mine has all the same equipment as the one described above minus the minifridge.

My wife doesn't like the way conversion vans look...said only grandparents drive them and she's too young to be seen in one. So we've seen 5 vans since buying it and everyone of them had our age or younger couples driving them. lol
Ahhh...nuts. I'd add some wood-grain side paneling and see if the wifey likes that any better. :p

Question:

Can you fit all of your rugrats in it? If so, that's a winner for sure!

Love those things, had one back in the 90s and looking for another one at the moment

Hey Don... very cool find. They are great for road trips. My twin brother used to have one. I'd borrow it every summer to take my daughter on vaca. Pretty sure it was a mid 1990s Ford Econoline Conversion. Super comfortable captains chairs with a fold-down table in the back that converted into a bed. It also had a 13 inch TV with a VCR. My daughter really loved it. I did tow a small trailer with it once. I did a Dity move from NC to VA. It ran great. Good luck with it. Pete

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ahhh...nuts. I'd add some wood-grain side paneling and see if the wifey likes that any better. :p

Question:

Can you fit all of your rugrats in it? If so, that's a winner for sure!
All the ones still at the house will fit. Hopefully we are done multiplying.

Back