Anyone pull their cleveland with hooker comps attached?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I am looking at pulling the engine. I have 4v hooker comps. I am going to leave the tranny in the car.

Has anyone tried pulling the engine with the headers attached? I haven't crawed under it to see what I am up against. Historically I had the super comp headers and I didn't see a way of pulling the engine with those attached.

I have the stage 8 locking bolts so pulling the headers is a bit of a pain. Plus they are not leaking now so why mess with a good thing if I don't have to?

Any input welcome

I'm sure it could be done, but I'm thinking the inside shape of the shock towers will pose a problem. I suppose if you can get the engine far enough forward (to miss the inward angle portion with the widest part of the headers), it might not be so bad.

Like Jeff mentioned, I'll bet getting it all back in will be even more of a challenge.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull the engine on my 351 with the Hooker Super Comp ( 3 1/2 " collector size I believe) headers still attached. I know for sure the steering box side would not clear. I would have to set the headers on the box when installing the engine or else I couldn't even sneak them back in with the engine in place.

Back