Anyone use Trick Flow EFI Intake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cool! I would think you would use the harness/computer from a 89-93 Mustang. The 87-88 are speed density so make sure to use a MAF type harness/ computer from a 89-93. Painless and Ford Racing sell drop in harnesses, but I would hit the junk yards and try to find a car you can yank everything out of. You need the processor harness, engine harness and o2 sensor harness. The optimal computer would be the A9L. Professional Products sells a good fuel rail kit.

Here's a short list of what you'll need:

processor

wire harnesses

aftermarket MAF housing (C&L or Pro-M)

aftermarket throttle body 80-90mm

injectors- probably 36-42 lb injectors

fuel rails/line/fittings

o2 sensors/ weld in bungs

a couple of engine sensors. Probably air charge temp (ACT) and engine coolant temp. They should just screw into the lower intake.

The distributor will be interesting. I'll look into options. I just don't know how the EEC-IV type computer will react if you're not using it to fire a distributor.

Then there's the fuel system. The basic way would be to sump the back of the tank and run a 8 and 6 line for supply/return. I'm going to do a fuel hat type setup with internal baffles on mine. some day.

Here's a few places to look for doing the swap using 5.0 parts

http://oldfuelinjection.com/

http://midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/EFI%20Swap%20-%20Wiring.htm

The distributor will be interesting. I'll look into options. I just don't know how the EEC-IV type computer will react if you're not using it to fire a distributor.
Fuel injected 460 truck application.
Ah very cool. I think most of the 7.5 injected distributors use a remote mounted TFI module, but that's easy enough to accommodate. Thanks for the heads up.

Im running a 5.0 EFI motor in my car with a A9p computer with stock fuel rails and 24ib injectors with matching maf and my distributor is a MSD pro billet with the tfi. my setup runs hella good aside from some minor idle and fuel issues

I actually had a stroked (and supercharged) Windsor in my '95 GT and I am in the middle of building a 415 Windsor for my '68 coupe. They both have/had Trick Flow intakes. On my '95, I used Aeromotive fuel rails. They worked great but the bottom of the driver side hit the top of the rail a little so I had to double up on the gasket between the upper and lower. I spoke with Trick Flow and they said that wouldn't happen with their own fuel rails.

For the ECU, I used a A9L and I purchased the 5.0L harness from Ford. Not cheap but it's new. I hate buying other peoples problems. I prefer the Pro-M MAF and Accufab throttle bodies (they've always worked well for me- Just a preference). When you figure out what size throttle body you're going to use, make sure you at least use the same size MAF if not one size bigger. As for your MAF, make sure it's calibrated to whatever fuel injectors you use. If you're going with a Windsor that has a hydraulic roller cam, you can use a distributer from a '95 ford truck.

Are you using the long runner (lower profile) intake or the box style intake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it for street or race?? I find a ported Exploder cast GT-40 intake to be just about the best torque building intake(street) I used a 70mm throttle body and a 75mm MAF, 24 lb inj. to feed a bored 5.0, AFR185 heads Comp Cam XE270, JBA midlength headers, with a "cleaned up" cast GT-40.

When I moved up to a 331 Stroker, I had T-Moss port the GT-40 lower used a, 75mm TB, Lunati 272 VooDoo cam and 30lb injectors. It's a Beast!

Which ever intake, (Trick Flow is a good looking intake) you choose, match your MAF/TB/Cam/heads & rear gears combo, so that they all work together. Taking a stock roller 5.0 and using a big High flow intake, 90mm TB & MAF w/42 lb inj. isnt going to work well. Especially on the street. Camed right you may have peak HP, though no bottom end. Peaky even for the track.

Sooo what combo are you looking at?? To do what with?? It' always fun to compare combos with others.

Its for a 351C in my 1974 Falcon. Not looking to race just smooth reliable power and efficiency. Engine in a 2V and will run an AOD trans.

Is it for street or race?? I find a ported Exploder cast GT-40 intake to be just about the best torque building intake(street) I used a 70mm throttle body and a 75mm MAF, 24 lb inj. to feed a bored 5.0, AFR185 heads Comp Cam XE270, JBA midlength headers, with a "cleaned up" cast GT-40.

When I moved up to a 331 Stroker, I had T-Moss port the GT-40 lower used a, 75mm TB, Lunati 272 VooDoo cam and 30lb injectors. It's a Beast!

Which ever intake, (Trick Flow is a good looking intake) you choose, match your MAF/TB/Cam/heads & rear gears combo, so that they all work together. Taking a stock roller 5.0 and using a big High flow intake, 90mm TB & MAF w/42 lb inj. isnt going to work well. Especially on the street. Camed right you may have peak HP, though no bottom end. Peaky even for the track.

Sooo what combo are you looking at?? To do what with?? It' always fun to compare combos with others.

In the case, I would go with the long runner Trick Flow intake. It's great for the street where you won't lose anything in the bottom end, lower profile as opposed to their Box intake so you shouldn't have any clearance issues, and it's enough of an intake that it will work well even with a modified engine. I would use at least a 75mm throttle body but you wouldn't need more than 90mm.

If you didn't already have a 351C I would go Windsor. I have a brand new 5.8 lightning lower and genuine 93 Cobra upper both extrude honed that would work great.Hint hint.

That certainly is a good way to go. I did it myself with my '95 GT. but the cost of the 5.8L upper, the Cobra intake and then the Extrude Honing is probably more expensive than the Trick Flow upper/lower. Also, the Cobra intake is very limiting on a 5.8L based motor, even if it is Extrude Honed. If you ever want to increase the power of your motor, your intake will certainly be you limiting factor (depending on your heads of choice of course).

I recommend you get a book. Dyno Proven Ford Performance. They take a motor and try various parts (intakes, throttle bodies, cams, etc) and show the dyno results. You woukd be surprised the power even the Trick Flow box intake makes on a 5.0L based stroker without losing any on the bottom end.

Ive been waiting for this intake for years. Has anyone used it. What fuel rails and ECU are needed? Wire harness ect?

Thanks

Leon
So - for review:

The idea is to use this Trick Flow EFI intake for the 351C. Using the EFI computer parts from the MAF based 89-93 Mustang and possibly a 460 EFI distributor, some type of aftermarket fuel rail system and necessary plumbing and wiring to bring the 351C into the "modern" world of fuel injection.

Please tell me someone is doing this and will document it all for me to follow.

I have completed the EFI conversion on my son's Maverick but used the 5.0 and complete factory system. The only modification was housing the computer and fuel delivery and return.

That sounds like a good plan. Since you can get the Trick Flow for the Cleveland, just use the Trick Flow fuel rails. As the fuel system goes, you can get a modified fuel tank with a sump from Glens Performance with an aftermarket electric fuel pump (I have the Weldon pump). Run at least -8 to your fuel rails and then your fuel regulator and probably a -6 for your return line.

That certainly is a good way to go. I did it myself with my '95 GT. but the cost of the 5.8L upper, the Cobra intake and then the Extrude Honing is probably more expensive than the Trick Flow upper/lower. Also, the Cobra intake is very limiting on a 5.8L based motor, even if it is Extrude Honed. If you ever want to increase the power of your motor, your intake will certainly be you limiting factor (depending on your heads of choice of course).

I recommend you get a book. Dyno Proven Ford Performance. They take a motor and try various parts (intakes, throttle bodies, cams, etc) and show the dyno results. You woukd be surprised the power even the Trick Flow box intake makes on a 5.0L based stroker without losing any on the bottom end.
I gave up on using that combo years ago. That was about the only option for a 5.8 out there when I bought them in 98 or so. It sits sad and neglected next to the Vortech R-trim I'll probably never get around to using either.:(

Wow, Nice looking equipment. Too many parts to procure to make it work. Here is some recommendations that might be a better alternative! It is from Professional Products and I have seen it on a working auto. What a difference it made! It is not cheap. The Trick Flow EFI Manifold for 351C is $758.85

Powerjection III Complete Kit Returnless -

http://www.professional-products.com/Home-Fuel-Injection-amp-Electronics-Powerjection-III/Powerjection-III-Complete-Kit-Returnless-Satin-Finish-p390.html $2149.95

http://www.professional-products.com/Home-Fuel-Injection-amp-Electronics-Powerjection-III/Powerjection-III-Complete-Kit-Returnless-Polished-Finish-p389.html $2249.95

They are return-less EFI systems that will bolt on where any Holley has been. The EMC is self contained on the side of the EFI. They are cheaper systems on their website.

Take A look.

2yvuss2.jpg

Source: Professional Products

Thank you!

mustang7173

For a 351C, using the Trick Flow intake

80-90mm MAF w/36lb inj.

75mm TB

These would be minimuns, depending on your combo; Compression Ratio, cam & heads, intended use and RPM range. Remember EFI cams don't tolerate tight LSA's well so try to keep it to 112 LSA.

Back