Anything Loooks Better than a Rusty Old Locking Gas Cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

Absolutely needed the one with a security cable! Don't wanna pull away from a gas station and forget the $60 gas cap is sitting on top of the windshield or whatever and when you take off it rolls off the deck lid possibly denting/stratching it and now your out another $60.

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

Last edited:
LOL thats what happened to one of mine. When I was 16 pulled in for my 5 dollars worth. Put the cap on top of the pump, drove off, two minutes later turned around to go back to get it. Needless to say it was already gone.:mad:

LOL thats what happened to one of mine. When I was 16 pulled in for my 5 dollars worth. Put the cap on top of the pump, drove off, two minutes later turned around to go back to get it. Needless to say it was already gone.:mad:
thats why i went with a security cable!!! :D:D:D. and good thing you didn't have a FULL tank because if you did and you took off like a bat out of hell at stop lights, some of the gas could find a way out.

thats why i went with a security cable!!! :D:D:D. and good thing you didn't have a FULL tank because if you did and you took off like a bat out of hell at stop lights, some of the gas could find a way out.
Nah we never used to put that much gas in it. :D

Yeah, gas caps....

To keep mine from getting stolen, I removed the top screw on the fuel pipe and inserted a metal pin fixed by a spring and drilled a small hole into the back of the gas cap.

That way the pin holds the gas cap in place and the cap can only be removed if the pin is pulled back from inside the trunk. Works like a charm.

Recently I've seen that somebody actually makes this stuff for sale. The spring and the fastening are different but the idea and the way the pin works are the same.

Here's the link:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=C90J30H+01

Doesn't help if you forget to put the cap back on though..! In that case I think cables or pop open cap can't be beaten!

Yeah, gas caps....

To keep mine from getting stolen, I removed the top screw on the fuel pipe and inserted a metal pin fixed by a spring and drilled a small hole into the back of the gas cap.

That way the pin holds the gas cap in place and the cap can only be removed if the pin is pulled back from inside the trunk. Works like a charm.

Here's the link:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=C90J30H+01
Cool idea. Do you have to open the trunk first in order to open the gas cap? That's exactly what I am looking for...a stealthy locking gas cap.

I got a security cable cap for the coupe from Don, but the mach 1 has a flipper cap!

Cool idea. Do you have to open the trunk first in order to open the gas cap? That's exactly what I am looking for...a stealthy locking gas cap.
Sorry xoliex, don't wanna hijack your thread!

Yup, that's how it works. I took two pics of my setup.

It's really a no brainer. Takes 5 minutes to install. Mine is just a metal rod with a circular end through which the spring goes. I remember we had those little rods on door latches on the shed in the garden when I was a kid.

The Mustangs Unlimited one is a little more elegant, but the effect is exactly the same.

Now, if you wanna be on the safe side, you could have this little thingy to lock it, so nobody can twist it off and add a security cable so you won't leave it at the gas station. That should take care of it. :)

006.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back