AOD Swap Driveshaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
Just curious if anyone knows of a place that sells either an AOD swap driveshaft for a 72 with 351C, AOD(Originally C6) and 9". Or if anyone knows the length. I have been meaning to get to the wrecker and see if I can find an AOD D/S out of another vehicle, but its far too cold to crawl under a car at the wrecker right now. Just hoping to try and either find something that works or is close to keep the cost down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the usual way is to install the new transmission and measure between yokes to find your new drive-shaft length.  You can also compare the length of your AOD to the previous tranny to find the difference you'll need for the driveshaft. 

Relying upon other's advice for a non-descript tranny is asking for trouble.  Do it right; it's not that much more effort to find the right length, then find a shop that will shorten the drive-shaft and rebalance it. 

I re-used my driveshaft with a new AOD tail shaft and 'adaptive' U-joint (one side fits the AOD, the other the stock drive shaft).  My original transmission was an FMX - roughly the same length as the AOD.  The owner of the AOD was swapping it out for a T-5 in his '89 5.0 Mustang.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/slip-yoke-for-c4-aod-t5-t10-transmissions-sonnax-t3-3-8251hp-forged-from-a-chromoly-billet/

I got my U-joint from O'Reilly Auto Parts... had to look up the P/N for an AOD U-joint, get the measurements, then look up the one for a '71 Mustang w/FMX, get the measurements, then find a 'Universal' joint that had both measurements.  (I lost the box with the P/N, in other words... sorry)

Everybody else says to trim the factory drive shaft about 1-1.5", but I didn't and it fits fine with no issues driving.  I would take midlife's advice and put the Mark-1 Eyeball on it to see for yourself what your car needs.

Hope that helps.

Well, the usual way is to install the new transmission and measure between yokes to find your new drive-shaft length.  You can also compare the length of your AOD to the previous tranny to find the difference you'll need for the driveshaft. 

Relying upon other's advice for a non-descript tranny is asking for trouble.  Do it right; it's not that much more effort to find the right length, then find a shop that will shorten the drive-shaft and rebalance it. 
I do agree with that. Part of it was more to use to look for a used driveshaft. My understanding is it is usually cheaper to shorten a driveshaft than lengthen one, so I was hoping to get a ballpark so I dont wind up with one thats too short. I would measure but it probably wont be a little while till I put the engine and trans back in. 

Did the swap not 2 weeks ago, and aside new yoke 28 splines (which i've selected for having the same u-joint as the original one) to replace the 31, no need on changing or shortening the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the swap not 2 weeks ago, and aside new yoke 28 splines (which i've selected for having the same u-joint as the original one) to replace the 31, no need on changing or shortening the shaft.
Which trans did your car have? Cause looking things up I think the AOD is like 3" shorter than the C6, so it seems like I would need a longer driveshaft. 

Do you know what length your AOD yoke was?

@jacosaur, this is the baby I bought and installed:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sox-t2-3-8251hp
This yoke is a really beautiful piece of engineering. Know that it has really tight tolerance and installing new u-joints will not go as easy as with the original one. You will need a press or a serious vice.
It was set behind the 87 AOD that I've rebuild and it is a short governor model.

As a side note, I see on my late 2021 summit order that it was $175, now $202. Pfff!!

@jacosaur, this is the baby I bought and installed:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sox-t2-3-8251hp
This yoke is a really beautiful piece of engineering. Know that it has really tight tolerance and installing new u-joints will not go as easy as with the original one. You will need a press or a serious vice.
It was set behind the 87 AOD that I've rebuild and it is a short governor model.

As a side note, I see on my late 2021 summit order that it was $175, now $202. Pfff!!
Thanks Fabrice!

Back