Are there differences in the 1973 steering columns?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
As I noted in post #133 for the Rickster build, the turn signal switch was binding when assembled and I was going to finish chasing that rabbit later. Well, now its later, and I need to get it figured out. I discovered that it's the hazard switch bottoming out in the slot in the collar below the key. This is a replacement collar, as the original was broken, and I am wondering if there were differences between 1973 and earlier years in this casting. The piece that I have is D0AA-3511-G. Is that the correct part? Could it be that the 1973 turn signal switch won't fit that casting? I could sure use some help on this. Thanks.

Probably, as the 73 turn signal switch connectors are radically different in design than the earlier models.

Thanks, Midlife. I am wondering if I can fit an extra washer or two under the turn signal switch to make it work. I may give that a try. Still, if anyone has a 1973 fixed column with the turn signal switch out and can check the part number in that casting, I would really appreciate knowing what that casting number is.

Thanks, again.

I tried to add a couple washers to space the turn signal switch out enough so that the hazard switch wouldn't bind, but unfortunately, when it was spaced out enough, the turn signal handle could not be screwed into the switch. I am thinking that there were changes to that piece in 73. Still if someone has a disassembled 73 steering column and can check out the casting number on that piece (it's on the side with the key, under the turn signal switch on the one I have), I would sure appreciate it.

Yes the upper collar has a 1973 casting number on it. D3AA-3511-AWC. Does it look any different than yours? Dave

Attachments

• collar 1.jpg
    collar 1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 14
Dave!! You da' man!!! Yours looks exactly like mine, except for the casting number. I expect that if compared side by side with a pair of calipers in hand, we'd find some minor differences in dimensions. I now know that the replacement one I got is close enough to be easily mistaken for the younger brother, but off just enough to not work. I'll be getting hold of Don at OMS to see if I can't get a replacement on the way.

Dave, thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Just to close things out, I received the upper collar, D3AA-3511, day before yesterday. Measuring both, I found that the slot for the hazard switch is 1.17" deep, while the slot on the D0AA-3511 upper collar was 0.75". That's close to 7/16" and compared side by side was noticeable, and made a big difference. It's all back together now, and ready for to go into the car.

Thanks again, to all who responded, for you help, and especially to Don at OMS for sending that replacement collar so quickly.

Back