ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Spotted this one yesterday on Hemming's list. Chasing serious money here.

The question is, what will the owner end up getting for the sale, or will it get sold on at all? Well.............................................................

By the way, $60,000 US equates to around the $106,000.00 Au when purchased and shipped into Australia after expenses.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1973-ford-mustang-182859
Greg:unsure:

$60K seems a bit optimistic but with the prices cars are drawing at the Mecum auction this week, he may have priced it right.

Lots of little things pop out at me--back seat doesn't match, dash pad covered/stitched, missing seat metal inserts, steering wheel, missing the original aluminum wheels (though they did reuse the long lug nuts!), random emblem collection, dual exhaust valance and Mach 1 honeycomb, etc. All these are minor but detract from originality don't seem to follow a consistent plan for the modifications.

Nice looking car, though, and nicely equipped.

Those are not factory aluminum wheel lug nuts, they are an aftermarket locking set (McGard?). I would agree for a top AACA award card, there are numerous inconsistencies. IMO might be a mid to high 30's, but an up close careful inspection would be advisable before purchase offer.

Nicely equipped, but too many items wrong to ask that much, and top need refitment, got a boot? And added adhesive aftermarket (usually done by selling dealer as an up sell) body side moldings, ouch…prices are up, yes, but not to that degree…if it was perfect in every respect it still wouldn’t be worth $60K…love to see what your opinions are on a realistic private sale price…my price opinion for that is no more than $35K, driver quality at best…I would hate taking it to a car show and have people point out all the mistakes…(I’m a Virgo, so sorry for being perfection-driven, but honest)

There is so much that is incorrect about that car that I don't know where to start, and it has one of the most unattractive factory color combinations IMHO, Dark Green paint and Avocado interior! All I can say is that if that car is worth $60,000, I am a gazillionaire, :love:. I have a number of Dark Green cars in my collection, but they had to have an extraordinary list of options or rarity to make it there. All are 1971s, one's a 429 car, the rest are all M-code 351 4V/4 speed cars, and two even came with factory Ram Air! Color matters when it comes to selling a car, probably more than anything else. If I'm selling a car, I always ask less if the car has an undesirable color. Some people love Dark Green Metallic, but pretty much everyone loves Bright Red. That's why they call it "resale red." People go on and on that they would never consider a car with a color change, but I have sold some cars much easier after changing the color. This car will find a buyer, but it will take a lot of work on the part of the seller, and he will have to cut the price in half.. IMO. IMG-4715.jpgIMG-4716.jpgIMG-4717.jpgIMG-4718.jpgIMG-4720.jpgIMG-4723.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah not my cup of tea in that color. Besides it's a 73 and again, not my cup of tea. Did ya notice the inside of the glove box was painted yellow. Helloooo!!
If that car get 60 grand or even close, then mine is worth double......... ok, now I'm dreaming.

Yeah not my cup of tea in that color. Besides it's a 73 and again, not my cup of tea. Did ya notice the inside of the glove box was painted yellow. Helloooo!!
If that car get 60 grand or even close, then mine is worth double......... ok, now I'm dreaming.
Thank you! Even my color-blindness saw that yellow in the glove box area. Could've just been a dash panel from a donor car during one of the two restorations mentioned. I think there's some of that yellow paint showing in the driver side door jamb near the footwell. The reason the seats don't match is because the fronts are TMI Deluxe Sport Seats (missing the buttons, as well) - the rear might be the original seat.

While it's a nicely done car, it's an incorrectly nicely done car. Too many embellishments to have been such a high scoring treasure at all those AACA meets (that, or AACA doesn't know squat about '71-'73 Mustangs). They should've deducted points for the modern JVC AM/FM/CD/BT/USB deck

I too was thinking the owner had passed by the auto badge section of Pep-Boys with the Mustang Crap Magnet on full blast - the badges don't even match from side-to-side ('5.8' and 'V8' on the driver side, and 'Cobra Jet' & '351' on the passenger side - WTF?!). That side molding ruined it, as well - I don't recall that being an option and now there are likely tons of holes in the sheet metal holding it all on.

It wouldn't take much at all to put things right, and Greg's definitely got the skills (if he's in the market for another cool 'vert), but too much wrong with it to command $60K US. I actually really like the colors.

I don't understand it getting preservation awards. Twice restored and most likely never done right. I always thought preservation meant originality. This one seems at least 100% over valued. I would rather have mine than many going for over 30K. What is the best way to find out a correct value as I want to sell mine, but it needs a specific buyer to appreciate its originality and rarity and to keep it that way except maybe a little rust.

What steering wheel is that one on the over-priced green convertible, anyone recognize which car it’s from? Looks interesting...not an idle question, really would like to know. That’s all, folks

The inside of the glovebox is the original Avocado Green interior paint. :barf:

I apologize to the 73 guys that have that interior, but it's been a hard pass for me from the first ond I ever saw. The Medium Green interior was a wise color choice, but ffs, do it right. The Mach 1 seats look out of place and WTH with the rear seat pattern....

The inside of the glovebox is the original Avocado Green interior paint. :barf:

I apologize to the 73 guys that have that interior, but it's been a hard pass for me from the first ond I ever saw. The Medium Green interior was a wise color choice, but ffs, do it right. The Mach 1 seats look out of place and WTH with the rear seat pattern....
Avocado green interior paint on the glove box door? May be it's just the way it looks in the pictures, so I'll take your word for it as I trust your knowledge, but it sure look more yellow to me.
OK, I just went back for a second look and yeah, maybe. It's just a pity someone didn't open the door and paint the damn thing the same green as the rest of the interior.
That car would not be on my bucket list.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the car came from the factory with avocado interior. The seller posted a picture of the Marti report which shows it. That's why it looks yellow in the glove box. That's the factory color. Like Hemi said, you can't blame the guy for changing the interior color, but if it were me I would have gone with white, and I would have made it look like the factory color with the correct gray/white seat inserts.

Kevin.

Back