Austin Vert Invents Power Mirrors for '71-'73 Mustangs.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Greg: once again, you've hit one out of the ballpark! Congratulations. As with others I look forward to learning some of the details involved with the project.

a thank u number 21 on this post.. can't wait for the info.. so just wondering what is your background that enabled u to figure this out.. electronix or mechanical engineer?

oh and on a down side.. your garage is toooooo clean.. i wouldn't hold that against u.

a thank u number 21 on this post.. can't wait for the info.. so just wondering what is your background that enabled u to figure this out.. electronix or mechanical engineer?

oh and on a down side.. your garage is toooooo clean.. i wouldn't hold that against u.
Nothing major like that - he's just an inspired genius with mad skillz. ;) :D

Many thanks Jim, Eddy, Bill, John, and Lars for liking what i have come up with here. Yeah, i really was very determined to do this project and see it through to the very end come hell or high water. After months of research and experimentation, i came up with a system that would tick most of the boxes, and seeing it all through to the end has been quite a big thing for me. And as i said, my follow up tutorials are just around the corner so stay tuned.

Hi Delaware Bill, thanks for the feedback. As Eric has hinted above, i don't think i'm a genius, but i do think i'm definately mad!:D But to answer your question, i'm 60 years old, and my working life background has been auto spray painting. I am a tradesman , and served a four year apprenticeship when i started out in 1975. I still work for a company today. But i have been associated with a few other things in the auto field over the years, and have picked up several skills along the way. I am one of those lucky guys that can turn my hand to many different types of jobs and get some decent results. I have no official qualifications in other trades such as metal turning, or any engineering fields as such, but have picked up a lot of knowledge to get me buy on the basics. So taking on a project such as this one is well within my scope of skill base, except for the auto electrics side of it. That's one area i never got into and learn't much about, so i needed help form a sparky with this project. I did the wiring install except for the fuse box link up circuit.

Regards my clean shed - well i guess it is mainly, but i don't like working in a dirty cluttered area, so i try to be clean as i go. I also spray paint in there, so it has to be kept pretty clean for avoiding paint contamination issues happening.

Cheers men,

Greg.:)

Hi Mike,

Hey, thank you kindly. Yes, after much blood, sweat and tears, and countless hours of R&D, i must be honest and say that i am in a quiet way rather proud of what i've come up with here. It's a big deal when you start with just an idea in your head, and then eventually turn that idea into a working reality. I wanted things to as right as i could, so for example, after i got through making the initial prototypes and mock ups based on my designs, i then set about to do a trial run of making up all components from scratch, just as any Forum member would be doing if they took on my project. This would be living proof that my designs do come out the way they should when my tutorials are followed as per my instructions. Things went pretty well in that department i must say.

Hi Eric,

Thank you Sir! Yes, one of the big things that motivated me on this project, was to give back to the world so to speak. I guess we're all out there enjoying our Mustangs, and this concept is a definate plus to adding to the ride experience of 1,2,3 Mustang drivers. The truth is that our mirrors are small, and harder to see out from, especially that darn passengers side mirror on a hardtop. This power mirror system will make your ride much easier and safer to you and all concerned. Yes, i think the world would be a better place if we all gave out more than we do for one another.

Cheers,

Greg, I installed this camera a little over a year (4,000 miles) ago and it works awesome and really gives a clear rear view image. I love it. Just another way to help the sports roof guys get a good look...

Eric

CAMERA w-specs.jpg

Hi again Eric,

Hey, you know, that's a great idea for the sports roof guys. I have often thought on and off about doing something like that on my '73 Mach 1, but never got around to it.

Sounds like you've had a big win with your install, and you love it very much, and it works well for you. You have inspired me to look into this in more earnest for myself. Thank you very much for the heads up.::thumb::

I installed one of those on mine, too - works great!

I'm thinking it might be a little too low however, and when there's a car behind me it almost blinds the camera (I was backing out of the driveway last year in the dark and my buddy's H2 totally lit up camera - which made the view screen a big, white box right in the middle of my windshield). I'm thinking I might try sticking a camera to the bottom of one of the louver slats, so it's still 'hidden' but gives a little more 'rear view mirror like' perspective (I think it'll lose some visibility to the trunk lid, though). The underside of the trunk spoiler would be a great place, but I don't think I'm going to put one on mine (since it didn't actually come with one - it's kind of cool not having the spoilers and stripes like everybody expects to see).

I'm thinking it might be a little too low however, and when there's a car behind me it almost blinds the camera (I was backing out of the driveway last year in the dark and my buddy's H2 totally lit up camera - which made the view screen a big, white box right in the middle of my windshield). I'm thinking I might try sticking a camera to the bottom of one of the louver slats, so it's still 'hidden' but gives a little more 'rear view mirror like' perspective (I think it'll lose some visibility to the trunk lid, though). The underside of the trunk spoiler would be a great place, but I don't think I'm going to put one on mine (since it didn't actually come with one - it's kind of cool not having the spoilers and stripes like everybody expects to see).
Hey Eric,

I see what you're saying here. I wonder if you could custom mold and intergrate the camera into the underside of the spoiler? Just a thought.

Hey Eric,

I see what you're saying here. I wonder if you could custom mold and intergrate the camera into the underside of the spoiler? Just a thought.

I want to mount the camera in the trunk key hole and integrate an automatic trunk release from inside the cab instead. The trunk key hole would truely be the perfect spot for a camera!

Hey Eric,

I want to mount the camera in the trunk key hole and integrate an automatic trunk release from inside the cab instead. The trunk key hole would truely be the perfect spot for a camera!
Hey Eric,

Now that is thinking out of the box. What a clever idea! I know a guy in America that has installed an electric or power trunk release for his '69 Mustang and it works fantastic. I should touch base with him and ask him how he went about it all.

Cheers mate,

Hey Eric,

Hey Eric,

Now that is thinking out of the box. What a clever idea! I know a guy in America that has installed an electric or power trunk release for his '69 Mustang and it works fantastic. I should touch base with him and ask him how he went about it all.

Cheers mate,

Hey Eric and Greg,

Nice idea about the rear view camera in the trunk lock hole... but where comes the display/screen in the car?

I have a electric trunk release in the Mustang (original for a later model Ford). i'm very satisfied with this solution.

The yellow knob under the dashboard is mounted in the standard holes.

see pictures!

Also mounted original under dash/courtesy lights under the front seats for floor(foot) lights rear passengers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again Eddy,

Hey, thanks for sharing all that information and pics of the trunk release system.Looks like you've come up with a good working solution there. Why don't you do a write up post on the Forum about it all, and tell everyone what you ended up doing. That would be fantastic. I am sure Forum members would be very interested in what you have done here . I know i would. In regards where the display goes - i have seen in my travels rear end camera set ups where the little viewing picture is incorporated into the rear vision mirror which is mounted on the front wind screen. I have not done any research as yet, but i think you can buy this sort of thing without hard wiring between the mirror and the rear end camera, as they talk to each other without wires.Not sure about that, but worth investigating for sure.

Here's me with my mirrors. Now your trunk release! I wonder what other Forum members a busily inventing other goodies for our Mustangs out there?:p

Cheers,

Nice one, Eric. The trunk key hole is an excellent place for a camera. I'd thought about it early on, but then didn't want to over-complicate my electrics with yet another accessory - however, the keyless entry system in mine comes with a button & control module for that as well.

The big caution here is to make sure you have an alternate mechanical means of opening the trunk in case of electrical failure... especially, if your battery is trunk-mounted. A friend disconnected his trunk-mounted battery to do the exhaust on his new Challenger R/T, forgot, and closed the trunk. No manual releases anywhere in the car except for the 'help - I'm being kidnapped' emergency pull actually inside the trunk. Had to fish his bean-pole 15-yr-old in through the back seat to pop the trunk using that method (fortunately, the back seat folds down in that car, too). :-/

Just thought I'd throw that in the mix. :whistling:

OK - We now return you to the regularly scheduled program of "Hero Worship of Greg" - this week's episode: "Austin Vert Brings Power Windows to the Clydesdale Masses." ::thumb::

Well done Greg on the power mirrors. Not to take anything away from your great idea, but enlarging the viewing area seemed to be missed and would improve your idea further. I had also thought of fitting some sort of full time rear view camera, but a thought is as far as I got. Interesting read throughout the post.

An idea I had and did to improve the rear view right side mirror that was posted some time ago. That was to enlarge the viewing area by at least 1/2". This entailed sacrificing the original glass,(I bought a junk mirror from a scrap yard), cutting an aluminum backer a 1/2" longer but still fitting within the body, then having a convex replacement mirror cut to fit. The backer plate was glued using Goop to the mirror base and then the new mirror was glued again with good ol' Goop and allowed to set for 24hrs. I also added a small blob of Goop to the ball socket to give a bit more resistance to it moving. Once set in place, the mirror stays put and my rear view is almost as good as my daily driver (I said almost!) This was not cheap, but has proved well worth the expense and effort. I could have made it a bit bigger by about 1/8", 5/8th overall, as there was still enough space to get the attachment screw in and tightened.

Note the blob of Goop just above the bracket and placement of the backer plate to the outside edge.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks and thanks for your great feedback.What you have ended up doing there is good thinking. In my first tutorial i discuss that very thing in detail. I don't know why Ford originally made the passengers side mirror glass less wider than the drivers side glass, because you need all the viewing help you can get on that side of the car. If you order the new convex glass that Scott Drake is selling these days, it will be the same size width wise, as the original factory glass. The heights of the mirror glasses are identical between the drivers side and the passengers side as well.

I bought new mirror glass for both sides and now my passengers side glass matches, or is the same as the drivers side. I think that is better viewing than having the smaller spec convex glass installed on that mirror, but that's my own opinion.

Cheers,

Hi Geoff,

Thanks and thanks for your great feedback.What you have ended up doing there is good thinking. In my first tutorial i discuss that very thing in detail. I don't know why Ford originally made the passengers side mirror glass less wider than the drivers side glass, because you need all the viewing help you can get on that side of the car. If you order the new convex glass that Scott Drake is selling these days, it will be the same size width wise, as the original factory glass. The heights of the mirror glasses are identical between the drivers side and the passengers side as well.

I bought new mirror glass for both sides and now my passengers side glass matches, or is the same as the drivers side. I think that is better viewing than having the smaller spec convex glass installed on that mirror, but that's my own opinion.

Cheers,

Greg, thanks for your feedback. I didn't mention that I also cut a new wider mirror for the driver's side, but because of the 2 screw mounting, I was not going to be able to make it quite as big, needing space to get a screw driver in. I ended up just two face taping the larger mirror over the original. A bit clunky, but still give a better view. I could have made the passenger side close to 3/4" wider than stock. Maybe on the next try. Getting the glass cut accurately was also a bit of a challenge. What I have is what I've got..... for now.

I'll have to go over your tutorial again when time permits, but I think you deserve kudo's galore for your efforts.

Geoff.

I did buy a Scott Drake convex, but was not happy with it, so it's for sale!!

POST EDIT; In the above, I did not mention that I also made an aluminum backer plate albeit thinner, for the driver's side mirror.

It was not my intention to take anything away from Greg's awesome invention and workmanship, but to perhaps add to it. I hope my post didn't come across that way. If so, I apologize.

Wow, impressive invention! Nice work and a really nice finish with the woodgrain/chrome control. ;)
Thank you Thomas,

Glad you like what i've come up with.Yes, in my switch design, two things had me concerned. I used a back up design because i didn't want the mirror switch pigtail protruding too far into the inner cavity, and cause interference problems with the door glass, and two, having the metal mount plate digging straight into the vinyl door card would have marked it for life, and ruined the door card. You can remove my switch assembly later if you want, and you won't have damaged the door card in any way. BTW - That back up solid timber piece, can be finished in what ever color you want. I was going to paint it cream, the same color as my door cards, but thought the wood grain would look a little more classy. If you own a Mustang with a standard interior, and have flat door cards, the all you need to do is not profile shape down the back of the timber back up - just leave it one even thickness all around.

Cheers,

Back