Austin Vert's Console Clock Update.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just wanted to give an up date on getting my original '73 Mach 1 console clock repaired.

Back in 2014 i posted an article on the Forum in regards getting my '73 Vert console clock repaired. Back then i used the services of an American company called The Clock Works. I dealt with a guy called Jeremy, who was very kind, helpfull and professional to me, and the whole process of getting my clock repaired went very smoothly for me. That post is to be found here.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-gets-clocked-with-old-age

But just recently, i decided to use the company again and send my original Mach 1 console clock over to them, to again, convert the original factory movement over to a quartz one. The cost of that conversion was $180.00 American. Not cheap really, but when you think about ending up with a clock that has proven for me, to be very reliable and keeps good time, then i think it's worth the money spent. They now offer a service option to replace the clear lens cover for an extra 40.00 if you want to.The original face, hands and time adjust chrome knob remain the same and are not touched or replaced. You don't get the old factory ticking sound anymore either with the new movement, but that doesn't worry me all that much.

So, a plug for the company? Yes, and why not. I would highly recommend using The Clock Works Company to any Forum member who wants to get their old clocks back to a good working condition again. And lets face it, sadly, most of the original 123 Mustang factory console clocks gave up working many, many years ago, didn't they.:shootself:

One last thing. With my '73 Vert clock resto project, i ended up smashing and breaking up, and removing the two original blue light pods that were inside the clock housing body.They are now gone,and not replaced with anything as such. For my replacement lighting, i chose to use new LED green bulbs that are purpose designed to be used for the main indicator lights in the main dashboard where the fuel gauge is located. These green leds are very bright and powerful, and give the clock a nice strong illumination now. The old original bulbs with the old blue pods were terrible, as you hardly had any illumination at all.

Reference -

http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Good review. I took my clock apart once and saw the burnt wires and just put it back together. I just keep my clock set at 12:00. Maybe will do the quartz conversion when i have the bucks burning a hole in my pocket.

I've heard good things also about that company, good to hear it worked out for you. I have previously repaired a couple clocks (resoldering), but found that you fix one area of the coil cooper [/i]wire, another lets go... Conversion is the way to go for sure.

Austin Vert, you should come over here and run for office. I don't care if for dog catcher or to replace one of those idiots we have in DC. You have my vote! First I have you to thank for my "Austin Vert Stick". Now I can at least adjust my near useless right outside mirror from my driver seat.

I have been collecting NOS parts for several years now anticipating that when my money tree matured, I would start the resurrection of "Money Pit #2". One of those NOS parts was a console clock. I didn't really want to install it because I figured it's life expectancy would be a year if lucky. I had seen several posts on converting the instrument cluster clock to a quartz movement, but nothing on the console clock. So after reading your post today, that is no longer a problem. You are defiantly an asset to our community. Thanks for the very timely info! ::thumb::

Hey, thanks Mike,

I think it is money well spent for what you end up getting.

Hi David,

Sounds good, i'm surprised you have a few original clocks in working order though. Not bad at all.

Thanks Ken,

I think this kind of repair would suit your quality Vert restoration very much.

Steve,

Thank you heaps for your kind thoughts. I'm glad i was of some assistance to you to make life a little easier with the Mustang. This clock upgrade IS the way to go to get around the old "she doesn't work any more problem"for sure. Money pit? Well you're spot on there brother.:p

Thanks guys,

Hey, thanks Mike,

I think it is money well spent for what you end up getting.

Hi David,

Sounds good, i'm surprised you have a few original clocks in working order though. Not bad at all.

Thanks Ken,

I think this kind of repair would suit your quality Vert restoration very much.

Steve,

Thank you heaps for your kind thoughts. I'm glad i was of some assistance to you to make life a little easier with the Mustang. This clock upgrade IS the way to go to get around the old "she doesn't work any more problem"for sure. Money pit? Well you're spot on there brother.:p

Thanks guys,

Sadly, my minimally option vert did not come with a clock... Had the mini console only. I have an NOS full console that I plan on installing in a temporary fashion so that it can be easily removed and replaced with the original mini version if I ever do an MCA show down the road. It includes a working clock and I will install the associated console/clock wire harness as well. I really like having the full console to lean my lazy right elbow on... Cheers

Maybe a very... very stupid question:

Is there a member that self-try to rebuilt to a quartz clock (with a radio frequency/satellite adjustable movement)??

Mine console clock works fine (but for how long...I have also a working spare one)but maybe it’s possible making by yourself.

They works with a 1.5V AA or AAA penlight battery(battery life 1.5 year ... you can also soldering the electric cables on the clock unit and storage the battery in the ashtray...)

By using an electric emergency kill-switch or for the winter period when you disconnect the car battery it stay’s working.

If I had a not working clock, I give it a try.

Just maybe a stupid idea from me... but $180 for rebuilt to quartz and shipping $45 to the US and $45 from the US to Europe that’s a lot of money for your own car clock.

Here a link for a wall clock but there exist also little ones…

http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/439803/Zendergestuurd-uurwerk-Wijzeraslengte145-mm-HD-1688MRC-9080c11b?ref=list

Maybe some experimenter idea for “The Rocketman”

Dream – dream for saving money…

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are entering a Thoroughbred class, having a NOS full console should not result in any deductions in Concours Driven or Trailer classes. It was available as an option from the factory for all models with or without the clock. Actually when you think about it, it's not often you even see a short console at a National show these days....

There is a fix for the original clock that will maintain the jerky second hand and tic, tic, tic...

Burnt coils and points can be fixed. That is generally the only thing that goes wrong with them.

Over time the points burn down and stick together just like the points in your dizzy, they look

identical. This causes a short and fries the two coils. The coils activate a "hammer" that rewinds

the mainspring and separates the points for another count down, typically 35-40 seconds and the

process restarts. If the coils are completely burned, they can be rewound. You may be lucky and

only have a broken wire, easier fix. The points can be filed clean just like.....

Once you have determined the coils are intact and points clean you install a capacitor bank to fire

the coils, no direct connection to the battery. This is not a pipe dream, there is one in my car now

that has been keeping perfect time for 7 years. You need to be able to read a simple schematic and

about $20 in parts. The device attaches to the clock and can be made the size of a Zippo lighter.

The directions are on this forum somewhere.

mike

Maybe a very... very stupid question:

Is there a member that self-try to rebuilt to a quartz clock (with a radio frequency/satellite adjustable movement)??

Mine console clock works fine (but for how long...I have also a working spare one)but maybe it’s possible making by yourself.

They works with a 1.5V AA or AAA penlight battery(battery life 1.5 year ... you can also soldering the electric cables on the clock unit and storage the battery in the ashtray...)

By using an electric emergency kill-switch or for the winter period when you disconnect the car battery it stay’s working.

If I had a not working clock, I give it a try.

Just maybe a stupid idea from me... but $180 for rebuilt to quartz and shipping $45 to the US and $45 from the US to Europe that’s a lot of money for your own car clock.

Here a link for a wall clock but there exist also little ones…

http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/439803/Zendergestuurd-uurwerk-Wijzeraslengte145-mm-HD-1688MRC-9080c11b?ref=list

Maybe some experimenter idea for “The Rocketman”

Dream – dream for saving money…

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:
Hi Eddy,

Yes, i have spoken to a few people who suggested to me to go out and buy a domestic quartz clock movement which runs on a 1.5 volt battery, and install that to replace the original factory movement. You would hide the battery under the dash or around the clock general area and replace the battery when needed. However, my decision was to take a more professional approach and go down this road of getting the movement professionally swapt over. Like me, you're up for extra shipping costs, and that's a bummer, but even that is the case, i still think it's worth doing what i ended up doing.

Cheers,

There is a fix for the original clock that will maintain the jerky second hand and tic, tic, tic...

Burnt coils and points can be fixed. That is generally the only thing that goes wrong with them.

Over time the points burn down and stick together just like the points in your dizzy, they look

identical. This causes a short and fries the two coils. The coils activate a "hammer" that rewinds

the mainspring and separates the points for another count down, typically 35-40 seconds and the

process restarts. If the coils are completely burned, they can be rewound. You may be lucky and

only have a broken wire, easier fix. The points can be filed clean just like.....

Once you have determined the coils are intact and points clean you install a capacitor bank to fire

the coils, no direct connection to the battery. This is not a pipe dream, there is one in my car now

that has been keeping perfect time for 7 years. You need to be able to read a simple schematic and

about $20 in parts. The device attaches to the clock and can be made the size of a Zippo lighter.

The directions are on this forum somewhere.

mike
Hi Mike,

Interesting feedback. I would say from your description that your repairs to fix the broken movement are a doable, but are beyond the means of the average punter who has not had the tech background or experience to fix up a problem like this. I wonder if someone like The Rocketman would be interested in getting involved with something like this maybe?

Back