Austin Vert's Electrical and Trim Upgrades

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi To All,

Just wanted to give a description of some recent upgrades i did to the '73 vert. The scope of work was to 1. set up a pilot light for the foot brake pedal, 2. install a map light to the center of the dash,3. install a glove box light, 4. install driving lights and swith, 5. and trim the inside of the glove box. A special thanks goes out to Don from Ohio Mustang for supplying me with a original map light and foot brake warning light.

OK, firstly, i could not use the warning light as it was too disfigured. Sorry Don but thanks anyway. I used the angled circular backup mounting bezel from it, sprayed it matt black and used it for my new pilot light. I went with a company called Narva here in Oz for my parts.

http://www.narva.com.au/

You can still buy the footbrake switch, and the Narva pilot light is a good substitute for the original fitting looks wise, since you can't buy any repros at this stage for that part. (you just don't have the brake park writing in white on the lens face) - See my pics. BTW - If you can't find a tapered backup bezel, you can get a thick piece of pine dowel from the hardware shop and cut it to very small length. Then using a drill press, drill out the center. Then angle shape the thickness to suit the slope down angle of the lower dash. Then spray paint matt black to finish off.

2. Wired in Don's original map light so it comes on when doors are opened. Switch allows you to turn it on or off independantly of the door switches, or when doors are closed.

3. The glovebox light was a simple Led 12 volt light that was fixed to the underside of the glovebox roof so it's out of sight.A narva switch is an easy install for off and on. Sorry you can't see the lighting effect because of the camera flash. See pics.

4.The driving lights were Narva compacts (55 watt) and for the switch, i used a Narva black toggle with '64 Mustang chrome lights brezel for a mounting backup. I wired it in so when you turn on your parks or low beam headlights, you can then flick the toggle switch and your driving lights come on. Works on high beam as well.

5. The original glove box trim was very ordinary i thought, so i got a new cardboard one when i upgraded to the Classic air install last year. Using black trimmer's lining cloth, i trimmed the inside of the box walls and floor as well as the inside of the lid face to dress the whole thing up. For the lid,i used 4 mil thick craftwood cut to shape, and sprayed it with contact glue and trimmed to fit. That's basically it, and i'm pleased the way it's all turned out.

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG71830.pngdoor-alarm-slide-intro.jpgEL09047_1.jpghlsb65.jpgpilot-lamps-intro.jpgplastic-toggle-intro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those driving lights look surprisingly good, I mean that in a good way! The way you trimmed out the glove box looks really nice, I am hoping to get my trunk to that status. Nice work!

Well done mate. Always the perfectionist at whatever you touch...

Was wondering where you've disappeared to, now I know, the garage!
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that mate.Yeah, i guess i can't help myself with the detail thing.:p

Any way, hope you're keeping well. I've been preoccupied with a few things over the last couple of months, and have not been as active on the site as i have been in the past. It all comes down to time i guess.

So all the best Jim,

Greg.:)

Back