Austrailian heads project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next photo here, shows machine blending of Intake ( 1.880") and exhaust ( 1.600"). All seat work is held to the exact same depths, making spring set-ups and chamber CCing accurate. 

Shelbys never ran 1.940 intakes in 289s, as some people foolishly attempt. Don't even consider it. Breathing with those intakes is no better and the valve margin hangs over the spark plug recess. 

IMG_3505.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing on here, out of sequence, bronze the K-Liners show here, but were installed prior to any seat and chamber work.

First two photos show heads and chambers, ready to undergo porting and polishing. Second photo shows top side of head, with pushrod slots drilled open ( done for guideplate useage ), stud bosses milled and tapped, and guides trimmed for PC seals. "4M2" casting equates to December 2nd, 1964

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

Today is April 26, almost 3 months since I started to post on the Aussie heads, and the 289 Hi-Po clone engine.  My garage is all torn apart and boxed for the move, Aussie heads are packed un-finished. The 289 heads are just about finished with the porting.( Our porting crew is doing my heads on the side, in their spare time, hence, the long time waiting.....worth being patient though).  The 1.880 intakes have been machined from 2" blanks. I'm not sure if I will be able to finish them up and post photos before I move. Apologies about the dragging out of this post, hopefully, I will move and stay in that house the rest of my days, as moving is such a royal pain in the arse!

Moving is definitely tough on the body. My wife and I have also moved 11 times, 3rd from last messed up my back, had to have back surgery after next to last one, the last one messed up my right knee, so another surgery in my future :( 

Yup, best to sit back in the easy chair with a cold one and just chill all day long!

The last time we moved was 11 months ago, and I just found the charger for my rechargeable shop light yesterday. Took 9 months to get a new shop built, most of it due to getting the permits, still don't have power to it, but have started on the wiring. Still looking for other things, though. 

And, I am a confirmed pickup owner, I've always had one except for 4 years when we lived in Las Vegas, had a Lincoln Navigator that helped compensate for it, but had to hook up the utility trailer every time I needed some lumber or other long item. Got an extended cab F150 4x4 now, so having all the inside storage behind the front seats is nice, plus the 5 ton towing capacity isn't bad, either, pulled the 27-foot camp trailer we had with no problem.

Moving is a great way to find out who your real friends are and the neighbors that just want you gone.

Learned a long time ago that U-Haul is my best friend. A 14 footer and plenty of time playing Tetris makes moving a lot easier. I can't even imagine trying to move using a pickup anymore. I thought about getting one, but I've been the proud owner of a couple Safari vans over the past 17 years and I've used our E150 cargo from work. An E250 might be in my future...plus you can stop for lunch and not worry about the whats in the bed.

Tomorrow I move, as in my wife and I get in the Ford Edge, and drive to Boise. The entire house's contents were picked up 3 days ago by the moving company. Eight guys wrapped, humped, and had the truck loaded in 2 1/2 hours. My wife and I had already boxed everything we could. All of the garage/ shop went on the truck too, so everything is gone as I sit. On the onset, I was thinking that moving 3 custom boats two states away was going to be a cluster___k of an ordeal....wrong. I found a guy with a 40' tilting flatbed who took the two flatbottoms without a problem. The 3rd boat, a drag hydro, was towed there on it's road trailer by a friend who offered to tow it there, since he was visiting here, and lives there.

The fly in the ointment, has been shipping the Mach 1. After having made arrangements weeks, almost a month ago, the driver didn't show up and the transport company didn't call to let me know they were scattering to get a driver. So now, less than 24 hours until I'm "wheels up", and numerous phone calls later, I finally got it scheuled ( knock on wood ) for tomorrow. I will already be gone, but my Realtor said he'd stay here to be here when the transporter gets here around noon.

Speaking of my Mach 1.....The very subject that I started here.......Australian Heads, are traveling in my trunk, as well as the 289 competition heads, which were finished last week. The 289 heads came out beautiful. As soon as we get stuff into the new digs, I'll be posting images and tech on the 289 project at least , for this blog, and continue on with the Aussie build up from Boise. 

Interesting.......this is my final entry from where I've lived for 30 years....but it's only going to get better. We'll talk soon....

1_f587e284c4e3498d2f011762475ff6b0.jpg

Tomorrow I move, as in my wife and I get in the Ford Edge, and drive to Boise. The entire house's contents were picked up 3 days ago by the moving company. Eight guys wrapped, humped, and had the truck loaded in 2 1/2 hours. My wife and I had already boxed everything we could. All of the garage/ shop went on the truck too, so everything is gone as I sit. On the onset, I was thinking that moving 3 custom boats two states away was going to be a cluster___k of an ordeal....wrong. I found a guy with a 40' tilting flatbed who took the two flatbottoms without a problem. The 3rd boat, a drag hydro, was towed there on it's road trailer by a friend who offered to tow it there, since he was visiting here, and lives there.

The fly in the ointment, has been shipping the Mach 1. After having made arrangements weeks, almost a month ago, the driver didn't show up and the transport company didn't call to let me know they were scattering to get a driver. So now, less than 24 hours until I'm "wheels up", and numerous phone calls later, I finally got it scheuled ( knock on wood ) for tomorrow. I will already be gone, but my Realtor said he'd stay here to be here when the transporter gets here around noon.

Speaking of my Mach 1.....The very subject that I started here.......Australian Heads, are traveling in my trunk, as well as the 289 competition heads, which were finished last week. The 289 heads came out beautiful. As soon as we get stuff into the new digs, I'll be posting images and tech on the 289 project at least , for this blog, and continue on with the Aussie build up from Boise. 

Interesting.......this is my final entry from where I've lived for 30 years....but it's only going to get better. We'll talk soon....

View attachment 52754
Good luck in your new endeavor. I hope all arrives well and you can be quickly setup. It is a monumental task to move that much stuff but you are already more than half way done. The only thing left is to unpack. Best!

View attachment 52754
That explains something.  The purpose of a flat bottom boat is to thrill (or kill)!

Enjoy the new spot.  I dig parts of Idaho.

See Ya in Boise Spike :)  God speed and safe travels.

Back