Automatic Shifter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Coupe 351 Cleveland AOD
I have a 1973 coupe.  Neither the 351 4V nor the c6 transmission are original to the car.  The shifter was super sloppy, so Changed the bushings.  What a huge difference a couple of pieces of plastic make!  However, something is not right.  The indicator pointer points at N when I'm in drive, and 2 when I'm in first.  There is no adjustment left where the shifter attaches to the rod that actually changes the gears. Since nothing else is original, I wonder if I have the right shifter.  Is the 73 shifter different than the others?  It seems the detent in the plate inside the shifter are in the wrong place.  Should all of the gears have a detent?

I have a 71 with a 302 and C4. I replaced my bushings a while back as well, the shifter was wobbly as can be, the bushings were falling apart. I only have one indent on the rod on each end. It would probably best if you had a helper going through the gears slowly while you're under the car, just be real careful. I don't know about the C6 but maybe the rods are different lenghts between FMX, C6 and C4. Good Luck!

The linkage on the transmission was different for various cars including column vs floor shifting. If your transmission is not original it is possible you have the 'wrong' lever. Mine had a similar problem and I ended up making it a bit longer.

Here are pictures of both a C6 D2ZA-7340 and FMX D12A-7340 shift Rods. They look about the same but have different part numbers. Also you may want to read thru the Ford Shop Manual for how to adjust the linkage and neutral safety/start switch. The linkage and switch adjustment is made with the transmission and shifter in Neutral. I have attached a PDF for that section.

Shop Manual Volume 1 - Part 17-02 Shift Control Linkage.pdf

Attachments

• Shop Manual Volume 1 - Part 17-02 Shift Control Linkage.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1973 coupe.  Neither the 351 4V nor the c6 transmission are original to the car.  The shifter was super sloppy, so Changed the bushings.  What a huge difference a couple of pieces of plastic make!  However, something is not right.  The indicator pointer points at N when I'm in drive, and 2 when I'm in first.  There is no adjustment left where the shifter attaches to the rod that actually changes the gears. Since nothing else is original, I wonder if I have the right shifter.  Is the 73 shifter different than the others?  It seems the detent in the plate inside the shifter are in the wrong place.  Should all of the gears have a detent?
I have a C 6 rod if you end up needing one

IIRC, there is an inch difference between the C-6 and the FMX rods. another possibility is you have a column shift trans.

There is another discussion on the C-6 shifter linkage a couple threads down with some great pics. Your shift lever should look like the pic below.

Latest posts

Back